Windows 11 thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Windows 11 thread

Post by Calavera »

Has anybody here tried Windows 11 yet?

Just curious if anyone has given it a go yet? I've got a version called Windows 11 Enterprise Edition but I've not tried it yet. I've thought about unhooking all my drives and hooking up an extra SSD I have and try installing it on there just to try it out. My motherboard supports the TPM 2.0 bullshit so Win 11 will work. If It get bored enough one day I might do it.

So has anybody here tried it? If so what is your opinion on it?

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Re: Has anybody here tried Windows 11 yet?

Post by Roofus »

It's out and you don't have to pirate it. It's just a free upgrade to Windows 10. It's been my daily driver for about a month now. I think the main reason it's not just the next Windows 10 update is because they wanted to add the TPM bullshit and then they needed something visual to justify the change to 11 so they rounded the corners and moved the start menu.

That said, if your PC supports it, go get it. If not, you're not missing much.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Oh one good thing 11 has going for it is that it finally has a proper dark mode. That's nice.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’ve been beta testing Windows 11 for about 2 months now. It’s pretty much the same as Windows 10, only with more of a Android phone look.

They got rid of tiles completely, so the Start menu is in the center (but can be moved back to the left) and brings up a program icon list that reminds me of a Samsung phone when you swipe up from the bottom. The settings menu is designed to look more like Chrome’s settings menu. Honestly it’s just a bunch of UI tweaks on top of the Windows 10 backend.

The most massive change, as Roofus has pointed out, is the TPM requirement. Windows 11 will NOT boot on older machines and has no legacy mode. You must have a motherboard that has UEFI with a processor that has TPM or you cannot run it. Yes, there are workarounds, but you will be fighting an uphill battle if you choose to bypass the requirements, as I promise Microsoft is going to continue to push more and more for support. I won’t be surprised when people that bypassed the TPM requirement suddenly can’t run updates because they don’t have TPM enabled.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Also, since Windows 11 is available and free to anyone running Windows 10, I’m moving this thread. If you don’t have a legit Windows 10, then that’s your business.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:53 am Also, since Windows 11 is available and free to anyone running Windows 10, I’m moving this thread. If you don’t have a legit Windows 10, then that’s your business.
I hadn't really been following Windows 11. I had no idea it was a free update for 10. :embarrassed:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

My Abacus won't run it.
Neither will any of my equally ancient computers.

It's not that I don't want to upgrade, more that I don't want to be paying off a loan for the next 50 fucking years to afford a half decent video card.

If I'm borrowing 1.2 million dollars it's for a small, run down, on fire shack in the country, and not an RTX 3060.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Apparently there's a bug with W11 that makes Ryzen CPUs run about 15% slower than in W10. There will be a fix for it, but AMD have said Ryzen owners should stick with W10 for now.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I'm thinking I'll run it on my Surface Go to test it out, but I won't be putting it onto my gaming PC for now, that's for sure.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:30 pm Apparently there's a bug with W11 that makes Ryzen CPUs run about 15% slower than in W10. There will be a fix for it, but AMD have said Ryzen owners should stick with W10 for now.
Oh. Great.
Skynet wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:53 pm I'm thinking I'll run it on my Surface Go to test it out, but I won't be putting it onto my gaming PC for now, that's for sure.
I already did. :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The fix probably won't take that long to appear.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Maybe when Forza Horizon 5 comes out I might update to 11. I still play FH4 here and there and I've heard it has problems running on 11.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Roofus wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:15 am
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:30 pm Apparently there's a bug with W11 that makes Ryzen CPUs run about 15% slower than in W10. There will be a fix for it, but AMD have said Ryzen owners should stick with W10 for now.
Oh. Great.
Skynet wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:53 pm I'm thinking I'll run it on my Surface Go to test it out, but I won't be putting it onto my gaming PC for now, that's for sure.
Turns out my Go isn't supported :(

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Skynet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:08 pm
Oh. Great.
It’s not? I wonder why. I haven’t tried putting it on my Go yet, but I was planning to soon.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'll upgrade when the Ryzen fix comes out. But there's no big controversy? They didn't try some newfangled touch-only UI with new widget doodads?

What a ripoff :olol:

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

An LTT video suggested you CAN install it on unsupported hardware but you wouldn't receive updates?
melancholy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:57 pm
Skynet wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:08 pm
Oh. Great.
It’s not? I wonder why. I haven’t tried putting it on my Go yet, but I was planning to soon.
I went to install it and it said I needed to run some check tool. So I ran it and it said my CPU isn't compatible.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea my CPU saying that too, there's a workaround but idk whether that will cause major performance issues or if it'll just run a bit slower. With the tpm thing, I think if you have 1.2 you're good and sometimes if it's saying not compatiBle it just needs enabling in the bios.

I've read some folks have installed W11 via workarounds so if any BGers have done I'd like to know how that's going. Apparently the unsupported W11 installations are getting updates too when Microsoft said otherwise.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’m sure you will get Windows updates now. But I’m predicting you won’t get updates in the future, like when big service packs drop.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Skynet wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:47 pm
An LTT video suggested you CAN install it on unsupported hardware but you wouldn't receive updates?

I installed it on one of my unsupported PCs and it said that I wouldn't be entitled to updates. Windows did run fine but I ended up reverting because it just felt wrong. :olol: