Looking for a decent youtube download plugin that isnt blocked in the UK

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Looking for a decent youtube download plugin that isnt blocked in the UK

Post by Hawq »

So I go to try & grab a vid to watch later on my telly while bored/between things to do only to find that my usual plugin, the imaginitvly names 'youtube video download' no longer works here & see this
'YouTube Video Download has been blocked for your protection.
Why was it blocked?

This add-on violates Mozilla's Add-on Policies.

This add-on violates Mozilla's add-on policies by loading surprising content without disclosure or consent.
What does this mean?

The problematic add-on or plugin will be automatically disabled and no longer usable.

When Mozilla becomes aware of add-ons, plugins, or other third-party software that seriously compromises Firefox security, stability, or performance and meets certain criteria, the software may be blocked from general use. For more information, please read this support article.

Versions blocked: all versions.
Blocked on 16 May 2020. View block request.'

Hopefully it can be fixed but who knows, in the meantime looking for an alt sadly savefrom is also dead head now which is bad as it was good for stuff from dailymotion etc.. as well with this message:
'Discontinuation of Service in the United Kingdom

Dear Savefrom User:

As you may have heard, our industry has been under strenuous attacks by certain UK copyright holders. Because of these attacks, it has become financially impractical for Savefrom to continue to provide services in the United Kingdom.

Accordingly, Savefrom will be terminating its services in the United Kingdom.

We thank you for your past loyalty and patronage and wish you health and safety during the present health crisis and beyond.

Very truly yours,

Savefrom'

So anyone know of a good alternative? preferably with a FF plugin so I dont need to copy & paste each link for what I want to watch later. The dailymotion one seems to still be alive but as there aint many things on that not sure if it counts as good news in light of youtube plugins

Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a decent youtube download plugin that isnt blocked in the UK

Post by Skynet »

I've been using this for about a year now

https://www.byclickdownloader.com/

The free version isn't too bad, but I actually bought it because I was backing up entire YT channels and playlists, before they were removed :olol:

It's not a plugin, it's a standalone app.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

that plugin needs another it adding, might try it out if the other one gets annoying, the option to just copy a link & have it added to the list is nice, just hope it doesnt get annoying if it kicks in wen not needed
Hmm wonder if its just because its the free version but it seems rather slow atm, for downloading & convering to mp4

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I think it caps at 4MB/s on the free one.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

felt like it was a bit slower, maybe its just cos its the weekend or something

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

well having got the full version of that byclick thing, as it was on sale for just over 7 quid for the lifetime version, I can say I aint inpresed so far. The free version had dail up speeds & now I have the full version it still has dail up speeds, not good

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I actually noticed that I'm getting sub 100KB/s on it too. There might be something wrong. I'll do some digging.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I just shot off a support ticket, will let you know what I find out.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ah not just me thats getting it then, hopefully its something that can be fixed as it does seem useful if it starts doing what it shoud properly

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Yeah I've never had an issue until now. I've used it to download TBs worth of YT content.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

just my luck, my original plugins started working again, though as some are having issues working right over here for some reason I guess the other things a nice backup & it was only the cost of a couple of lottery tickets for the lifetime version while it was in a sale so cant moan too much, especially if they fix the speeds it the other goes down again

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I do like having multiple options. Still haven't heard anything :( It is running faster again for me now. It's not as good as it was, but it's hovering between 3-4MB/s

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Well I got a reply, @Hawq

Hi James,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

There was an issue with the download speed, which has now been resolved.

Please open By Click Downloader and click on the update button to update to the latest version.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

just updated & full speed ahead here as well, musta been a small error that caused it as the update was less than a second (or maybe just over, either way it felt instant)

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Glad it's working. I've downloaded so much shit using this. I like you can just queue it all up and let it run

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Youtube-DL GUI is a nice option because it runs locally on your machine. I'm on my work laptop, it isn't working, and I can't test a known fix because I don't have admin rights to install Microsoft Virtual C++ 2010.

I used to use this a lot for TV work and it was the easiest way to get high-quality downloads (when it works).