Viceland's Dark Side of the Ring documentary series

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Viceland's Dark Side of the Ring documentary series

Post by Bandit »

That incident led to a all time classic New Jack quote "Man, I couldn't even beat my dick to that nasty shit."

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Oh New Jack, I miss you.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Didn't the WWF take a big hit in popularity over the Dr Zahorian trial ? or was business going down domestically anyway due to decline in popularity. Think in Europe around this time WWF business was way up in comparison.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Business peaked at Wrestlemania 6. It was going to go down any way because Warrior wasn't Hogan and the kids who had been fans since 1984 were growing up. And for younger kids they liked Ninja Turtles more than wrestling.

The steroid scandal wasn't as big of a deal as the sex scandals. Everyone knew all of those guys were on steroids so people just laughed at them denying it. But there was nothing funny about the accusations against Mel Phillips, Terry Garvin and Pat Patterson (although Patterson was innocent.) That turned the adults off to it. I was a kid at the time so I didn't really understand what was happening because I didn't watch the news and WWF didn't talk about it on TV. But I did follow Vince's trial, which was a farce.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Half way through this is definitely the best episode of the season.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Here's the FBI File on WWF that Bix uploaded https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... f-fbi-file

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

A deep dive into the Pro Wrestling Spotlight archives on the trials. On all podcast platforms.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

And still nowhere to watch it for those of us without Vice. I am le bummed.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Ocelot wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:02 pm And still nowhere to watch it for those of us without Vice. I am le bummed.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Zoidberg I give you good rats brutha thank you.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Looks like that video is dead. Here are some others.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The show is apparently over or on a long hiatus. Vice said it won't be on next season. Well, it was nice while it lasted

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's officially over but they will be doing a new show with The Rock and Jim Ross.
Dwayne Johnson’s Seven Bucks Promotions and Evan Husney and Jason Eisener of Dark Side of the Ring are going to be producing a television series for VICE.

The series will cover the territorial days of pro wrestling. The idea would be shows on different major territories each week as well as other topics, such as a show on women’s wrestling in the territorial days.

Jim Ross noted his involvement in the show in an episode on Mid South Wrestling. It was described to me that the show will be similar to WWE’s Table for 3, where there will be a table of guests reminiscing about their time in territories.

The Mid South Wrestling episode, for example, will have Ross, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase and Michael Hayes as part of it. A key to this is with Johnson involved, there will be representation from WWE with Hayes here. Previously, the only time WWE had an involvement with a VICE series was Jerry McDevitt, who made the decision on his own and wasn’t bound by Vince McMahon, appearing in the steroid trials Dark Side piece.

Even though Dark Side of the Ring was the most popular show in the history of the station, it was not renewed for a fourth season. There was so much controversy coming off the Plane Ride from Hell story. Because they were relying on memories of people from 20 years ago and there were multiple flights back from Europe where guys were drunk and out of control, but the famous one didn’t have Vince McMahon or Linda McMahon on the flight, although people on that flight told them that they were. There were also complaints from Rob Van Dam, Dreamer and Ross about how they were depicted on that episode claiming to have been taken out of context. Ross had questioned appearing on the show going forward publicly.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Apparently they've u-turned and there will be a new season.
Vice TV 'as committed as ever' to Dark Side of the Ring
Vice TV has issued a statement reaffirming its commitment to the Dark Side franchise.

Vice TV 'as committed as ever' to Dark Side of the Ring
Vice TV has issued a statement reaffirming its commitment to the Dark Side franchise.
JOSEPH CURRIER12 HOURS AGO
dark-side-of-the-ring-banner.jpeg
It appears that Dark Side of the Ring will be continuing in the future.

In response to rumors that the show had been canceled, Vice TV tweeted out a statement on Monday saying that they are "as committed as ever" to Dark Side of the Ring and the Dark Side franchise.

"We've heard some rumors flying around about Season 4 of Dark Side of the Ring. We are as committed as ever to both the series and the broader Dark Side franchise," Vice TV wrote. "Evan [Husney] and Jason [Eisener] are hard at work making more content that we know our fans of the series will love. Stay tuned."

Dark Side of the Ring and its two spinoff series' (Dark Side of Football and Dark Side of the '90s) weren't mentioned in a press release where Vice Media Group unveiled its 2022-2023 programming slate last week.

In the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer reported that Husney and Eisener are working with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Seven Bucks Productions on a new series for Vice TV. The series will cover the territorial days of pro wrestling:

Dwayne Johnson’s Seven Bucks [Productions] and Evan Husney and Jason Eisener of Dark Side of the Ring are going to be producing a television series for VICE.

The series will cover the territorial days of pro wrestling. The idea would be shows on different major territories each week as well as other topics, such as a show on women’s wrestling in the territorial days.

Jim Ross noted his involvement in the show in an episode on Mid South Wrestling. It was described to me that the show will be similar to WWE’s Table for 3, where there will be a table of guests reminiscing about their time in territories.

The Mid South Wrestling episode, for example, will have Ross, Jake Roberts, Ted DiBiase and Michael Hayes as part of it. A key to this is with Johnson involved, there will be representation from WWE with Hayes here. Previously, the only time WWE had an involvement with a VICE series was Jerry McDevitt, who made the decision on his own and wasn’t bound by Vince McMahon, appearing in the steroid trials Dark Side piece.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Territories show starts tonight. But the DSOTR creator said the show will be back and they want to do shows on Art Barr, Matt Borne and Roddy Piper.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I wonder what the Roddy one will be about?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Probably kind of like the Road Warriors one. And he just about predicted the year of his death on that Bryant Gumble interview 12 years before he died so that was kind of eerie.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »