I finally tried VR for the first time...

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

I finally tried VR for the first time...

Post by Calavera »

And it was dope! I expected to be dissapointed by it but I was pretty impressed with how good it was. The VR I was playing was on the PS4 with the move controllers so I imagine on the PC it is even better.

The first game I played was on the VR Worlds disc. It was where you were lowered down into the ocean in a diving cage and a shark ends up attacking. It actually made me feel kind of wobbly and when the cage moved down fast I could really "feel" it.

The next game was also on VR Worlds and I think was called London Heist. The shooting parts were really cool but the other 90 percent was just a person talking to you. The car shootout was my favorite level.

Finally a played a Haunted House railshooter. I don't recall the name but it had some pretty awesome parts. The best was when the rollercoaster you are on goes up a big hill and comes down. It is crazy how it actually throws you off balance.

Luckily I didn't get motion sickness at all although at first I thought I might but after a bit you get used to it. I played this at my cousin's house so I don't actually own any type of VR. I wouldn't mind having one for the PC but I imagine I'd play it a bunch for the first week or maybe even first month. Trying out all different kinds of VR games, but after that it would probably mostly sit unused. It seems that is the case for a lot of people.

I really wanted to try a racing game but he didn't have any. I'd also like to try LA Noire VR as the original was a great game.

That is all for my random VR ramblings.

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: I finally tried VR for the first time...

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:52 pm I wouldn't mind having one for the PC but I imagine I'd play it a bunch for the first week or maybe even first month. Trying out all different kinds of VR games, but after that it would probably mostly sit unused. It seems that is the case for a lot of people.
Yup. VR is cool as shit. I own a PSVR and an Oculus Quest. Lots of fun, but I haven’t touched either in over a year because I hate having to move around the furniture just to get enough room to use it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I bought a Rift a few years ago. Even though each screen isn't that high resolution, it's still super immersive and you barely notice the screen door effect after a short time.

I'd love a better VR headset like the Index, but too much of a hassle to get here and too expensive. I won't ever buy another Oculus product because Facebook can get fucked.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Calavera wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:52 pmLuckily I didn't get motion sickness at all although at first I thought I might but after a bit you get used to it.

I really wanted to try a racing game but he didn't have any. I'd also like to try LA Noire VR as the original was a great game.
I got a PSVR for wipeout and tried a small amount of gran turismo.

It was personally overwhelming. I couldn't play for more than half an hour at a time, and promptly sold it and gave up on the VR idea altogether.
Skynet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:37 pm I'd love a better VR headset like the Index, but too much of a hassle to get here and too expensive. I won't ever buy another Oculus product because Facebook can get fucked.
EB games had preorders for September 24th for the low, low price of $1,900. I mean for $1200, I'd consider it to play half life and then sell it for $900. but $1,900 is stupidly expensive for a novelty item.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:32 pm I own a PSVR and an Oculus Quest. Lots of fun, but I haven’t touched either in over a year because I hate having to move around the furniture just to get enough room to use it.
That would be a problem for me as well. The area I'd be using it in is a fairly small room so I'd have to re-arrange everything and probably take some things out to be able to have enough room to properly use it. I have no idea how much a decent VR headset is for PC as I've never looked into it. I think I'd be ok with paying around $300 for one. Now before I click submit on this post I'm gonna head over to Newegg to see just how far off they are from $300. I'm going to take a guess and say $500-$600 is probably the cheapest ones.

Well to my surprise there actually is one for $300. The Oculus Quest 2 - Advanced All-In-One Virtual Reality Headset - 128 GB It has great reviews. For $300 I might consider picking one up sometime in the near future.

How do you like your Oculus Quest Mel? How does it compare to the PSVR?

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:36 pm How do you like your Oculus Quest Mel? How does it compare to the PSVR?
It’s better in almost every way. The resolution is much higher and there’s no cables at all tying you down. The Oculus store has a lot of games you can play directly from the headset that are great, and you can even set it up to wirelessly stream Steam VR games directly to the headset via a Virtual Desktop software (though I haven’t tried that yet). Even the controllers are better than Move controllers.

The only downside versus the PSVR is that Quest REALLY wants you to move around. PSVR at least has a lot of games that you can sit on the couch and use a traditional controller when you just want to chill and not rearrange the house for space.

As for my Quest, though, it’s basically a Beat Saber machine for parties nowadays. I barely use VR because the Quest requires so much space and the PSVR requires so many cables and equipment that I rarely bother with either.

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

VR really is impressive, I held off for a long time myself because I thought it would be gimmicky, but at a Christmas party a year and a half ago someone let me try the Quest, and I was shocked how awesome it was.

I went out and got the Rift S, but after a couple months I felt like the thrills were gone and it was too much of a pain in the ass to clear out space in my office just to get a little VR time in, so it sat on the shelf for too long. I ended up just dumping it on eBay. I really wanted to use it as a Beat Saber workout device though... should have gotten the Quest. Maybe down the line if VR is still a thing I'll get a better more untethered headset.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

darc wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:53 am I went out and got the Rift S, but after a couple months I felt like the thrills were gone
I can understand that. Maybe I'm better off not buying one and just playing it at my cousins every now and again so I don't get wore out on it too quickly.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

So out of nowhere I got an Oculus Quest 2 for $300 like I linked to earlier! I am now a VR user!