Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Post by pixel »

I went to go see Spiral: From the Book of Saw and it was as bad as I thought it was going to be

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:31 am I went to go see Spiral: From the Book of Saw and it was as bad as I thought it was going to be
It should have just been Chris Rock being Chris Rock reacting to the gore crime scene.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Watched Wrath Of Man last night & I have to say it does feel like it drags a bit roughly around the middle but otherwise was a good film, if you see one non linier film staring Jason Statham this year make it this one, OK so its not likely there'll be another but my point is you probably aint gonna regret the time it takes to watch it unlike some films where you want the time back. The one thing I will say is that by the end I was still unsure if Statham's character was a former/current agent for some agency or just a very well sablished ..... (leaving that dit dlank to minimise spoilers) or some mix of them, or maybe I was reading too much into it, either way I had fun watching it

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Hawq wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:19 am Watched Wrath Of Man last night & I have to say it does feel like it drags a bit roughly around the middle but otherwise was a good film, if you see one non linier film staring Jason Statham this year make it this one, OK so its not likely there'll be another but my point is you probably aint gonna regret the time it takes to watch it unlike some films where you want the time back. The one thing I will say is that by the end I was still unsure if Statham's character was a former/current agent for some agency or just a very well sablished ..... (leaving that dit dlank to minimise spoilers) or some mix of them, or maybe I was reading too much into it, either way I had fun watching it
I just saw it today, the score was REALLY Bad. It was okay, they could have cut 15 mins though easily.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 thoughts:
About 4 minutes recapping what the first 3 films did, on one hand its been a long time waiting for not a bad idea but on anlother its been so long many will just binge the first 3 before watching this one to remind themselves of what happened

Then come a slightly extended version of the 10 minute teaser they put out last year or so, not bad at all unlike the next section

Shinji, Asuka & Rei are picked up & taken to a safe cone & heres where the bit that drags starts from around the 16 minute mark, around 42 minutes in we learn a bit about the way the world is now
all those years for this, they could have cut 85-90 percent of Rei on the farm & it wouldnt have make a diference to the film. Its like Anno lost the plot part way through, possibly when he went off to do that Godzilla film, and never quite got back into the swing of things
On the plus side we see Pen Pen clearly had a fimily as theres a few warm weathjer penguins in the old Nerv facility Shinji hides out at so yay for Pen Pen I guess

Around the 55 minute mark Shinji is back a WILLE but not to pilot anything

Around 1:15(ish) its back into sone action again, takes another half hour or so for Shinji to 'Get in the robot' though & we dont quite get the big battle we were looking for.
Instead we get something that blends the feelings of the tv ending with EoE a bit yet come up with another ending as both those paths are rejected, during this we see theres a hell of a lot more of those coffins on the moon so dont rule out a return at some point maybe as the amount that are open shoes things have cycled round a few times & those that are left leave many more chances despite Shinji choice, oh & as a result of that it seem he & Mari appear to be aging normally now.

Ultimately did I enjoy it? well sort of, the action was good & the continuation of the world following the last film was intersting to see but that huge section with Rei forming & Shinj being a whiney bitch moping about just dragged everything down, as I said ealier if that was trimmed then it would feel a lot better.
Is it worth watching? well if you have Prime you aint loosing anything other than the 2h 34min it takes to watch (at least 10 of those are then end credits) if you have less legit means to get it again the only thing to loose is the time it takes to watch it if you dont like it

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Saw Don't Breathe 2.

The first one was a novel approach to horror and insanely well done.

This one was by-the-book formulaic. You can predict how it's all gonna go down. You can predict the big twist 2/3rds of the way through. You know who's gonna live and die and the order in which it's gonna happen.

Depressing. Some top notch performances by the two leads can't even save this one. Avoid.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

I have just checked out the films coming out this year and next. There are twenty-four that I want to see.
Tomorrow war
Occupational rainfall
Reminiscence
Eternals
Free guy
Ghostbusters afterlife
Snake eyes
Black Widow
Morbius
Chang Chi - legend of the ten rings
Suicide squad
Old
The batman
No time to die 007
Justice League
Top Gun: Maverick
Spiral
A quiet place 2
Antlers
Without Remorse
Voyagers
The vault
Vanquish
The Power

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Hawq wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:25 am Instead we get something that blends the feelings of the tv ending with EoE
Congratulations! You've all been dissolved in LCL?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

2dr wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:14 pm I have just checked out the films coming out this year and next. There are twenty-four that I want to see.
Ican narrow that down to 1.

Ghostbusters 3.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I watched Suicide Squad this weekend and it was really good. I was laughing through most of it.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

ian wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:48 am
2dr wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:14 pm I have just checked out the films coming out this year and next. There are twenty-four that I want to see.

Ghostbusters 3.
Just as long as it’s not that fucking Ghostbusters 2016 crap. Jesus Christ that was a pitiful load of shit!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

2dr wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:00 am
ian wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:48 am

Ghostbusters 3.
Just as long as it’s not that fucking Ghostbusters 2016 crap. Jesus Christ that was a pitiful load of shit!
I will watch the 2016 one and let you know my thoughts on it.
I've only seen the first 5 minutes of it.
But now it's old enough that I can watch and form an opinion about it without either being branded a misogynistic asshole or a SJW snowflake because nobody cares anymore.
-Two Interactive.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Sweet. I am never watching it again. The misandry of it is sickening. Was a waste of two hours of my life.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So I watched the Ghostbusters everyone hates.
Is it as bad as everyone says? I don't think so. but is it good? without overthinking or analysing, it's not great but it's not one of the worst movies of all time.

With over analysing. It's poor and lazy writing is constantly saved by the cast. Kristen Wiig and Kate McKinnon do some seriously heaving lifting, even Leslie Jones has her moments when she's not completely over the top, although I found myself laughing at Chris Hemsworth more than any of the ghostbusters.

It took the whole cast to lift terrible writing and terrible everything of Melissa McCarthy. If it wasn't for rest of the cast aside from her being genuinely good, this movie would have been a lot worse.
Neil Casey did a good job of playing the weirdo. And Karan Soni also got perfectly cast. He was also perfect in the only other Movie from 2016 I've seen, Deadpool.
With the fact this is only the second movie I've seen from 2016 it will be quite clear I'm not film buff, so I'm not going to comment on the action or effects or score or cinematography, or editing, or any of that other stuff I either don't care about, or know jack shit about.
But of all the movies I have ever seen, 99.9% are comedies. And I've seen a lot funnier than this. But also a lot worse.

The biggest problem I have with this movie, is they called it Ghostbusters and shoehorned in cameos to try and bait an existing fanbase into caring about a product that simply isn't that brilliant, and then had the gall to say any valid criticism and poor box office performance was because people hate women.
If they'd called it Ghoul Exterminators, Spectre Smashers, Spook fighters or any other name and made it stand up on it's own, it would have been less hated.
It's a reboot... They literally had complete blueprints of what made the movie good, and then didn't follow any of it.

Kristen Wiig got the best laugh of the whole movie. Where she gets told the rent on the firehouse and then with perfect delivery and timing says: fuck you. :rofl:
No jumping around like a child on a sugar high, no shouting, no dancing, just bang on timing, and a quiet restrained expression. And if the movie had more of these moments, and less dancing, You might rightly call it Ghostbusters.

In fact I'll make my own paranormal comedy.
Spectre Smashers!

The Spectre Smashers will be: Kristen Schaal as the goofy carefree one, Tig Notaro as the nerdy straightlaced one, Lucy DeVito as the quiet scared one, and Sarah Silverman as the over the top confident one.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Agreed. I watched it a few years ago and thought it was fine.

Its biggest hurdle it faced was definitely the Ghostbusters fanbase, who had to face a tough truth at the time. The producers, writers and actors of Ghostbusters didn't treat the franchise with the same care as its fans.

That and it was released at the height of a truly bonkers era of Internet discourse. :olol: The movie got caught up in larger arguments of the time.

You're spot on about the movie's intention, too. Had it been billed as a goofy send-off of the originals, I don't think fans would've been as put off.

I honestly think that the 2016 movie producers didn't understand how dedicated the fans were, and how desperate they wanted a new movie. Then they got this.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Done a comedy marathon today. ALL DVD, ALL CRT.
2001 was probably the best ever year for comedy. Zoolander, Rat Race, Freddy Got Fingered, He Died With A Felafel in His Hand, and Wet Hot American Summer.
All still hilarious.
And 5 greats tops the Jim Carrey 1994 Trifecta of Ace Ventura, The Mask, and Dumb And Dumber. And even if you throw in the last Naked Gun movie into 1994, that still doesn't top how hilarious 2001 was.
Rat Race has to be the most under rated comedy of all time. Even on the couple of occasions the jokes fall flat, it is propped up by it's PHENOMENAL all star cast. If Rat Race had no jokes whatsoever, and no story, and nothing else going for it, it would still be a great movie on cast alone. SIMPLY AMAZING MOVIE!

And since I've been talking about great casts lately, and that I've only seen 2 movies from 2016... the other day I watched a movie from 2016 that I WILL call one of the worst comedy movies of all time. Actually, not just one of the worst comedies... But one of the worst movies of all time.

Imagine making a movie SO BAD that not even Paul Rudd, Patton Oswalt, Mike Judge, Paul Scheer, Brendon Small, Cree Summer, Molly Shannon, Tommy Blacha, and Dana Snyder couldn't save it.
I couldn't have hand picked a funnier cast if I tried! Patton Oswalt, Mike Judge and Brendan Small alone I simply could not have pictured them doing ANY WRONG when it came to funny.
And yet HERE WE ARE! Patton Oswalt, Mike Judge and Brendan Small were involved in a movie I can best describe as devoid of all humour, and life.

The movie is called Nerdland. AND IT IS SHIT!
I mean not a single redeeming feature. It's actually a blight on Mike Judge's Resume.

I'd love to comment on the story, but I actually fell asleep before it finished... I can't even remember the last time I fell asleep watching a movie where I wasn't passing out drunk or deliberately put the movie on specifically to fall asleep with it playing.
And IF I fall asleep with a movie I've put on and seen before, I'll play the rest of the movie when I wake up... This movie, I don't care if I don't see the end.

When ian won't even bother finishing a comedy movie, you can rest assured that it is a BAD MOVIE!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So as most of you will know, I mostly only ever do comedies. Be it TV, Movies, web shorts, or Streaming. I really don't care as long as I'm laughing.
But tonight I watched a movie starring Peter Sellers. Mr. Sellers in comedy is nothing short of an absolute legend.

I don't give a shit about whatever bullshit was happening in his personal life. Much like I don't care about what was happening in John Belushi's life.
People say Sellers was difficult to work with because he was an asshole... And People say John Belushi was difficult to work with because he was a coke head.
People will be more likely to tolerate bullshit if the person they're working with is a genius!
If the output is outweighing the problems, then people will be happy to ignore the problems. And in general, JESUS CHRIST did Peter Sellers output outweigh the problems by a considerable margin. Even when Sellers did a bad movie (which he did a lot of), he did it well. And when a comedian turns their attention to a serious role, the results are quite often eye-opening.
Like when Jim Carrey did Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or when Robin Williams did Good Will Hunting or Dead Poets Society, you poke your ears up and pay attention.
The movie I watched tonight was 1979's "Being There"
And holy FUCK did Sellers nail it. This is the best movie I've seen starring Peter Sellers up to this point (And yes, I I've seen ALL of his comedy work and his non comedy work with Stanley Kubrick)
This movie simply highlights how great he was. I've been laughing at this man for a long time, but this movie told me that he was capable of so much more.
Sure it's Great to say Peter Sellers was Inspector Clouseau, and he ABSOLUTELY WAS. Alan Arkin, Roger Moore AND Steve Martin all tried and failed to be Clouseau.
But outside of being everyone's favourite bumbling French detective, Peter Sellers was incredible.
And watching this movie has just made him so much more incredible in my eyes.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Watched The Matrix Resurrections last night & was left rather underwhelmed, I guess, a competant enough film in some ways & its way better than Bill & Ted Face the Music was (though lets face it that wasn't hard since it destroyed the entire plot of the first 2 with new 'chosen ones'). A fair amount felt like retreading the same old bits which if done well with subtle twists might have worked better but the repeated visuals from the earlier films just go to show where this one is lacking, they'd have done better to just refer to them rather than show them I think cos at this point a: who hasnt seen the Matrix & b: who is watching the fourth film in a franchise without at least looking up the previous ones (F&F doesnt count as that franchise ate its own tail years ago, disapeared up its own arse & became a parady of itself). All in all I was at least mildly entertained (maybe a few points of more at times) watching it but had a sense of slight disapointment as well, not a terrible film but could have done better

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've been watching smutty 80s comedies.

Porky's

Very funny. It's actually aged pretty well. Obviously there's some stuff in there that would freak youngsters of today out but it's not as bad in that area that I thought it would be. The redneck saying the N word a few times would be the main thing that would upset some.

Revenge Of The Nerds

It hasn't aged as well as Porky's. There's still some funny shit in it though. And there's some dodgy stuff. The main nerd basically rapes the main cheerleader and she instantly falls in love with him. The music the nerds make at the end is terrible.

Bachelor Party

Very slow paced, but the scenes that are funny are usually hilarious. The most famous scene from the movie would make Twitter & TikTok have a meltdown.

And there's a donkey that ODs in it.

Moving Violations

I was going to call this a Police Academy rip off but the writer/director is the same person that did PA. It stars Bill Murray's younger brother and Jennifer Tilly. It's alright. Worth a watch. It's less smutty than the above movies.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, I saw Matrix tonight at the theater and it was just okay, not bad but not good either. Neil Patrick Harris was good in his role.