Random links & other crap

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Random links & other crap

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:36 am
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:13 pm:olol:
:rofl2:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Alan Partridge is a very funky man.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Damn dude
The girl who does Overly Attached Girlfriend is totally under the Natalie Portman effect where she got hotter with age.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:57 pm Alan Partridge is a very funky man.

:olol: Didn't discover him until Alpha Papa, I'm glad I did though

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:18 am Image

I don't often watch YouTube, but it seriously doesn't have multiple audio tracks?

That is actually an embarrassing thing to learn in 2022, and even more embarrassing not to have.

As a species we really did settle for convenience and mediocrity in every area of entertainment and technology because it was cheap enough very quickly didn't we?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I remember back then it felt like you had to be rich to afford a laserdisc player. They were $500-$1,000, which back then was a lot of money. VCRs were $200-$400. DVD players really took off when they became cheap, nobody was buying them when they were $600. Laserdisc players just needed to come down in price and they would have been popular.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:08 am I don't often watch YouTube, but it seriously doesn't have multiple audio tracks?
The meme must be old, I guess they've added that now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMfipiV_17o

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:29 am I remember back then it felt like you had to be rich to afford a laserdisc player. They were $500-$1,000, which back then was a lot of money. VCRs were $200-$400. DVD players really took off when they became cheap, nobody was buying them when they were $600. Laserdisc players just needed to come down in price and they would have been popular.
Laserdisc was an enigma to us, I saw them every once in a while but never saw one being used. I spent more time playing 3DO and Jaguar then ever watch Laserdisc. The first one I ever saw being used was in 1999 at middle school, so it had already become a relic.

Right around the same time I watched one of my first DVDs, Lawnmower Man :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I first used one by using my PS2 and XBox in 2001. I think the first DVDs I ever bought were the Apocalypse Now directors cut and also Radiohead's Meeting People Is Easy documentary.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I remember watching my first DVD at my friend Ramseys house for his birthday in early 1997. It was the first time I knew someone who was rich. Not middle class, not upper middle class, not just rich, but loaded.

I had no idea his parents were loaded untill I got driven to his house which was on a block of land the size of a national park, with a driveway longer than most streets in our suburb and paved better too, leading past a tennis court and swimming pool to a mansion about 5 times the size of the biggest house I had ever been in.

But more impressive than everything else, was we went into the homes private cinema and his dad explained DVD's to us, about half the class was there.

Even the sheer size of the roof mounted motorised CRT projector and screen in a 20 person home cinema paled in comparison to watching an actual movie on a disc that could be mistaken for a CD.

The Indian in the cupboard was the movie, it was a forgettable movie, but the tech and experience stuck with me.

I would not own a DVD player untill early 2001 and it was a cheap brand (Rowa for $199 dollaredoos) and rented movies and TV for the first nearly 2 years untill my parents gave me my very own DVD for Christmas 2002.
Futurama Season 1. Not only do I still have that DVD set 20 years later, I got it signed multiple times and still watch it from time to time. So that's pretty much the best present I ever got.

I didn't get a PS2 or Xbox till later because I backed the system with the better/best games (as did most people on this forum, except Zoidberg he had 503 Dreamcasts, but also an Xbox and PS2)

As for Ramsey, well we were pretty good friends right up till we went to different high schools. we went to each other's houses a few times and played video games. I went to a local public School and he went to a private one in the city. As this was before social media, and as I was about 3 years away from my first phone, we kind of lost touch after we ran into each other one day in high school at the train station.

My second DVD I purchased was Futurama Season 2 which I got on boxing day 2003 with money my Grandmother gave me for Christmas. It was $55 down from $69 at Kmart.

After 2003, the flood gates were open and I purchased just a shit load of optical discs, and I still buy quite a few today (starting with Red Dwarf) they may be obsolete and a pain in the ass to use compared to the internet... But at least with my optical discs Disney can't decide to rob me of a Simpsons episode. Channel 4 can't rob me of the best episode of the I.T crowd. The latest season of "insert one of fucking hundreds of things I watch" can't just disappear from streaming for no fucking reason.
And the quality actually stays at a constant level on discs.
No, optical discs don't advertise 4K HDR like every streaming site and then give you that resolution with a bit rate that fucking VCD's make look shit.

The only problem with optical discs is playing them these days (since 4K discs) it's hard work to play them properly, so ripping is better, and then you need 80TB of storage.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Indian in the cupboard was the movie, it was a forgettable movie, but the tech and experience stuck with me.
I just remember that movie because it was America's introduction to Steve Coogan so it was weird years later when I saw The Day Today and Alan Partridge that the guy I remembered from that wholesome family movie was so funny.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:33 pm Image
Oh that poor innocent child.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

That'd be the dream :olol: I'm not about to suffer a housing market that looks like this:

Buyers have been outbidding each other by 10-30k+ on top of inflated market prices and skipping inspections just to get a house. No thanks, I'd rent for the rest of my life.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

We bought our house at the peak of the Great Recession. It was on the market for $78k, we talked them down to $72. 12 years later, it’s now worth 6 digits according to tax assessment. We could likely sell for double what we paid. One of the small benefits that came from the recession.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »