What have you been watching on TV?

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Re: What have you been watching on TV?

Post by 2dr »

I have been watching Stranger Things. It’s a weird show but in a good way. It has elements of horror in it but it looks like fantasy. I would rate it as a 7/10 and well worth checking out. If you’re timid, I might suggest a spare change of underwear just in case, but for most people it would be a laugh.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I've just started watching My Name is Earl. I was aware of the show back in the day but for some reason never really watched it. Well I'm watching it now and I love it!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Calavera wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:50 pm I've just started watching My Name is Earl. I was aware of the show back in the day but for some reason never really watched it. Well I'm watching it now and I love it!
I've been meaning to go back, I was a casual viewer at best back in the day, but I think I really missed out on a lot.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Just watched the film IT. Cool flick. IT 2 is next on the list. Pennywise was somewhat far fetched and I was trying to suspend all semblance of logic to follow it. Apart from that it was awesome.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've been watching American Auto after finishing Superstore in a binge.

I'm not sure I can fault either show, but I couldn't really recommend them to anyone either. They're both ok workplace sitcoms. They each have enough jokes to keep me watching through some of the more cliché and tedious parts.

It's not often I'll binge 6 seasons of anything though, so that could be superstore and American Autos biggest selling point.

Usually a comedy will be my favourite thing in the world or I'll hate it so much I will actively discourage people from watching that shit.

I suppose these shows are more like that 70's show which I don't love but I have seen it all, and not like the ranch which I fucking detest as much as the big bang theory.

So if you're after a bit of silly fun, it could be worth it for you, but I don't think I'll ever watch them again. I'm also looking forward to Blockbuster on Netflix because it looks identical to Superstore and American Auto but in a blockbuster store!

I've also been watching Helluva Boss on YouTube.
I was told to watch Hazbin Hotel AGESSSSS ago, and with a second person trying to convince me I thought OK, I'll give it a shot. I somewhat enjoyed Hazbin Hotel. But to be honest the real selling point was that Helluva Boss has Richard Horvitz.

I'm going off on a tangent here, but I will circle back to the show at some point.
I ADORE Richard Horvitz. Aside from being one of the nicest people I've ever met (I first met him and talked to him in 2007 when I was in line to meet Billy West and have met him several times at nerd conventions since) he gets nicer and funnier and more humble each time I see him. But as much as I adore him and his voice, I respect him equally for his voice in the grim adventures of Billy and Mandy. I HATE that voice and want to punch him any time I've ever heard it and when I told him as much he smiled and said "thank you, that's what I was going for" He's the only person I know who can go from singing parts of Phantom of the Opera to Gay Fish from South Park without provocation and still make sense.
So yes, when I was told this show had him, it became an instant watch recently.

Back to the show. The first 6 episodes started well.
Very well. Insanely well. This could be my new favourite show well. There's jokes, there's great characters and a great concept and it looks great, THIS IS FANTASTIC! And did I mention Richard Horvitz?

And then the show got to episode 7 and suffers from what I like to call Click disease.
Click was a 2006 Adam Sandler movie that roughly mid way through completely and utterly forgot it was supposed to be a comedy and becomes the most bleak and dire shit imaginable.

Final Space suffered from Click Disease in the 3rd season, and I'm afraid it's affected this show now as well.

Episode 7 and the first 2 episodes of season 2 are just... God damn. This might be what I refer to as an example of a comedy dropping off from now on.

I'll give it a few more episodes and hope for the best because of its phenomenally good start, but god damn.

It's like shows don't realise you can get as bleak as you want to and still keep it funny... Anyone who wants to make any sort of animated black comedy should be required to watch and memorise every single line from Bojack Horseman before they even start working on their show.

Dealing with depression and suicide, drug and drinking problems, breakups and divorces, abandonment and parent issues?
That's all well and good, you can still throw in some slapstick where people spill and trip over sex lubricant from time to time. I miss Bojack and I tried watching Will Arnetts show flaked, no where near as good as his other shows.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:45 pm
Calavera wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:50 pm I've just started watching My Name is Earl. I was aware of the show back in the day but for some reason never really watched it. Well I'm watching it now and I love it!
I've been meaning to go back, I was a casual viewer at best back in the day, but I think I really missed out on a lot.
Same here, I saw an episode here and there back in the day but never really watched it. I highly recommend you giving it a watch. It is a really good show.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'm hear to say: Velma is actually bad, not just "review bomb IMDB because woman" bad. Believe the hype, because I turned it off halfway through the first episode. It's a shame because they have some great folks involved (Sam Richardson, Glenn Howerton) but this show deserves the negative reviews.

The Last Of Us is great. Thank you Sony for absolving me of having to buy a PS5.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:19 am I'm hear to say: Velma is actually bad, not just "review bomb IMDB because woman" bad. Believe the hype, because I turned it off halfway through the first episode. It's a shame because they have some great folks involved (Sam Richardson, Glenn Howerton) but this show deserves the negative reviews.

The Last Of Us is great. Thank you Sony for absolving me of having to buy a PS5.
I watched something worse than Velma!

Last time I posted I was looking forward to Blockbuster on Netflix. Oh boy, I'm glad it's cancelled already. It's worse than however bad Velma is.

I watched through it with a friend and without the company I wouldn't have made it through an episode.
I laughed as much in the WHOLE SEASON COMBINED as I did in any single episode of Superstore or American Auto.

TERRIBLE. They took a premise that could have been amazing and completely wasted every single opportunity.

I might give last of us a watch when it's finished.
Still haven't played more than 2 hours of the game so I might not enjoy the show as much as mega fans, but I'll at least try it. much like the game which I couldn't get into.
Every time I try to play a naughty dog game that isn't Jak and Daxter I can't help but think that it isn't as fun as Jak and Daxter.

I also watched the final season of Paradise PD. It made me more infuriated that Farzar exists instead.
It was funny.. not the best, not the worst. Not pretending to be high brow or clever. Just funny.
Why did this have to end so fucking Farzar could exist?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Ugh I made it through one episode of Blockbuster, that was definitely another stinker. It wasn't interesting to me, characters sucked, and I still hate Blockbuster the company. :olol: I'd still pick Velma as my worst show, so much so that I'll actually go and delete it off my server.

One show I didn't mind was That 90s Show: It's not great and it won't be for everyone. It starts off rough but the kid actors got better through the first season. I do hope they keep making this because there's some hope here.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I watched like 3 hours of Nothing Forever on Twitch today. It’s about 80% stupid with 20% comedic gold. So way better than Seinfeld.

I was dying when the AI randomly brought up the 2018 Trump and Kim Jong-un summit, and Yvonne said she thought it would be funny if they came out of the meeting wearing the same clothes. It then descended into the AI coming up with an entire comedy tour routine that Don and Kim could perform together. It was so fucking random and I was totally on-board.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I watched White Lotus S1 and 2 in the last month or so. The people in the shows suck, but I couldn't help but watching.

Also I've never played TLoU but I've been watching the show. The last episode was great but man a lot of my mates were not happy with it :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:15 pm It’s about 80% stupid with 20% comedic gold. So way better than Seinfeld.
melancholy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:15 pm I was dying when the AI randomly brought up the 2018 Trump and Kim Jong-un summit, and Yvonne said she thought it would be funny if they came out of the meeting wearing the same clothes. It then descended into the AI coming up with an entire comedy tour routine that Don and Kim could perform together. It was so fucking random and I was totally on-board.
:rofl:
Skynet wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:47 pm Also I've never played TLoU but I've been watching the show. The last episode was great but man a lot of my mates were not happy with it :olol:
:olol: They're really going to like season 2

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Hi fuckos.

I watched the 2nd season of Vikings:Valhalla on Netflix and it was a major step up from season 1. They replaced the overly complicated storylines of the first season with several internconnected, clear narratives and it made for way better storytelling. If anything, way darker and more violent than the 2nd season. I have no idea what the hell they're going to do for season 3 since they mostly wrapped up a lot of their plotlines, but we wil see.

I watched both seasons of the White Lotus. Lots of boobies and the acting was ok but goddamn did I lose interest every time Jennifer Cooladge was on screen. Stifler's Mom made me lose interest in the show at least a half dozen times but I pushed through mostly because of boobies.

I'm on the third ep of Last of Us and I love the two lead actors to death and I like how the mushroom zombies look but if they're going to start intercutting the main story with THIS HAPPENED IN THE PAST shit every show I'm tapping out. I hate that shit. Lazy storytelling.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I was just watching Nothing, Forever and Larry told this joke:

What do you call a man with no arms or legs floating in the sea?

Bob!

Bob The Seaweed!

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Haha. I have been watching the Black list. Part way through Season 8. Awesome show. Getting a little stale as of Season 7. It’s kinda like they’re trying too hard to outdo previous seasons.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

He speaks some interesting ideas. Not exactly what I would consider reasonable, but…

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »