Australians want Steve Irwin on their money and not King Charles

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Australians have been suggesting iconic Aussie celebrities to replace the Queen on the country's banknotes, with zookeeper and national treasure Steve Irwin being a popular choice.

The British monarch is Australia's head of state and features on the country's currency.

Following the Queen's death on September 8, the Australian National Bank announced the next day that King Charles III will appear on their $5 notes in the late monarch's place.

The same goes for coins which will be minted with King Charles's portrait. The image will face left, the opposite direction of his predecessor - a 17th-century tradition that says the direction must alternate when there is a new monarch.

This change will not be implemented straight away, with the coins to be circulated in 2023, and then notes (though no date has been confirmed for this - so no one needs to fret about getting their money changed).

"All Australian banknotes issued from 1913 retain their legal tender status," a spokesperson for the Reserve Bank of Australia said, according to The Guardian.

"We will plan for an update to the $5 banknote design in due course. Creating the design for new banknotes is a complex process.

"It can be several years [between] when a banknote is printed and when it is issued into circulation depending on demand from the public and the need to replace banknotes that have become worn in circulation."

Despite these plans, it hasn't stopped calls from Aussies for a different face to appear on their country's cash and the late Steve Irwin seems to be the most requested name.

Irwin, otherwise known as the Crocodile Hunter, died in September 2006 after he was struck in the chest by a stingray barb.

In a Reddit post on the "straya" forum, titled "RIP Queen Betty" other suggestions included Dame Edna and Australian sitcom characters Kath and Kim, with someone else commenting: "Just wanna see our nation's proudest bird on our coins. The Bin Chicken."

"Considering the cultural history of Straya taking the p*** out of itself I completely support putting bin chickens on coins," another person added.

Source: Indy100

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Australians want Steve Irwin on their money and not King Charles

Post by ian »

Fuck off you FUCKING SHIT STAINED CUNT RAGS!

He perpetuated a Stupid stereotype. I could agree with putting Paul Hogan on there for taking the piss. And I could get on board with Russel Coight, or even Kath and Kim.

But Mr fucking stingray has no place in this world, let alone on legal tender.
Didn't then, doesn't fucking now.
Whoever suggested him should be fucking shot.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to ride a kangaroo up Ayers Rock where I'll wrestle a Crocodile with a boomerang and box a kangaroo to death with platypus gloves, as we all do every day!

I wish a stingray would kill me so I don't have to hear about this fucking cliché constantly.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:25 am And I could get on board with Russel Coight, or even Kath and Kim.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Now If I was at my fish and chip shop or local bakery and got handed that as change, I would be proud to be Australian.
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I completely support this. I loved that show. He was a true hero, not some dumbass with big ears born into vast wealth dumb enough to leave Princess Diana for Camilla Parker.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Tobias Drundridge! Tobias Drundridge!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:33 am Image

Tobias Drundridge! Tobias Drundridge!

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Might I suggest Steve Irwin on the front of a $5 and a fucking stingray on the rear so that when you hold it up to a light the barb pierces Steve’s heart ❤️!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I'd be ok with that.
-Two Interactive.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

If king Chuck must be on our money, can’t we at least have crosshairs too?