Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:11 pm
The MX4SIO project is a newer development we've seen in recent years which allows users to adapt a SD card or microSD card for use on the PS2's Memory Card port. While this isn't intended to be a replacement for a Memory Card, one of the biggest benefits we look at in this review is the ability to load PS2 games through the Memory Card port using OPL! While OPL has several great methods of loading PS2 games through an internal hard drive, network share, or a USB drive, the last one mentioned there seems to be a favorite despite slower read speeds. This project changes that by combining the convenience of USB loading with higher read speeds, eliminating longer loading times and choppy FMV playback known to plague USB loading.

This review specifically delves into Helder's own take on the MX4SIO with the MC2SIO, a $20 USD pre-built solution that can be used for OPL and loading PS2 games once you bring your own properly configured microSD card. Helder's Game Tech was awesome enough to send one of these over to the channel to review, so in this video we take a look at his MC2SIO adapter and see if this thing is really worth the money?
I just ordered one. I can’t wait to try it, it should be here in a week.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:53 am I just ordered one. I can’t wait to try it, it should be here in a week.
It should be great.

I'm hoping someone at Aliexpress starts making them so it's easier to get it sent to Australia.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Retro Best Buds are back in town, and this time around they are going all the way back to March 2002, issue #4 of the Official Xbox Magazine demo disc! Demo discs were an excellent way getting small samples of games you might have otherwise missed, perhaps something lost in today's gaming scene? Jump on back with us as we take a look at a small offering of the vast world of the OG Xbox.

Episode 344 - Sometimes they make minor changes when bringing games to the west from Japan... and something they make pretty big changes. Let's check out some of those changes which I find interesting.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 345 - Anyone remember that oooold console called the Xbox 360? You must be 90+ years old if you do. Well let's look at the console and a bunch of games I find interesting, listening to the 5.1 surround sound that many of these games natively provided!

NOTE: You may need to use a Youtube app on a device like a Roku, Firestick, Shield, etc to experience the 5.1 surround sound properly. PS4, PS4, and Xbox Youtube apps don't currently support 5.1 audio.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This video took us months of work to compile, document, and research. We had to coordinate with landlords, brokers, former employees, lawyers, and more to dig deep into the shady, scummy operation of Artesian Builds and its former CEO Noah Katz, whom we've heard has thrown around the word "lawsuit" when talking about us. We will never back down from sharing the full story with consumers, especially when so many have been hurt by one company's actions.

This deep dive gains exclusive access to the East Coast warehouse formerly used by Artesian Builds, dives into finances, and uncovers behavior we believe to be potentially fraudulent.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Over the weekend I was invited to test out a closed test of Insignia - the Xbox Live 1.0 replacement for the Original Xbox consoles. In this episode we take a closer look at the service, how well it performs and what to expect when the service launches in the near future!

In today's video we look at the history of the Commodore 64, the most popular home computer of all time and the home to a ridiculous amount of video games. Let's look back at it's story!

Limit pushing on the PlayStation, let's have a look at some games that take Sony's first console to the edge and also explain how they do it.

Welcome to Season 7 of Ancient DOS Games! Today, Gemini's kicking things off by looking at 3D Lemmings, also known as Lemmings 3D since the title shows up in many different ways, though the manual itself confirms that the 3D comes first. It's an action/puzzle game developed by Clockwork Games and published through Psygnosis in 1995.

This game came out at a time when EVERYTHING was making the jump into 3D, with some properties faring better than others in the process. This one really comes down to personal preference and the system you bought it for, as the console versions rated considerably worse than the DOS version, likely due to a lack of mouse controls which are kinda essential, and the camera can take some getting used to, but it otherwise has quite a bit of its own personality and it's even remotely a bad game. :B

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

How do you add a 3D upgrade to the original Doom without relying completely on inappropriate Polygon models? The answer is to take the 2D pixel sprites throughout the game and to voxelise them, Minecraft-style. The result is quite extraordinary, as Alex Battaglia reveals in this video.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Doomsday answered that question years ago

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I've tried/own most of the TV dongles and I'd say the Chromecast has been the best experience because I'm not forced to use the default interface.

I loved my Roku's interface and remote but the OS is too closed of an ecosystem. With the Chromecast, I've got a custom launcher running as a frontend so it's a stripped down, customized interface. No ads, no suggested content, just big giant icons for each streaming service. Emulation is a nice cherry on top.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Examining the link between JRPGs and survival-horror games, and how the two genres compare.

Odin didn't last long, but in a couple of years they made classic computer games like Nodes of Yesod, Robin of the Wood and Heartland, getting the most out of the Spectrum and other micros. However, a deal with Telecomsoft would be their undoing. Here is their full story.

As co-founders of id Software, John Romero and John Carmack created the code behind the company's seminal titles. The principles they defined through experience in id's earliest days built upon one another to produce a unique methodology and a constantly shippable codebase. In this talk, John Romero discusses id software's early days, these programming principles and the events and games that led to their creation.

John Romero
Romero Games

John Romero is an award-winning game programmer, designer and level designer whose work spans over 130 games, 108 of which have been published commercially. Romero is the "father of first person shooters" having led the design and contributed to the programming and audio design of the iconic and genre-defining games DOOM, Quake, Heretic and Hexen. Romero was also one of the earliest supporters of eSports and a current competitive DOOM and Quake player. To date, Romero has co-founded eight successful game companies including the likes of id Software. He is considered to be among the world's top game designers, and his products have won well over 100 awards. Romero most recently won a Lifetime Achievement award at the Fun & Serious Games Festival in Bilbao and the Legend Award at 2017's Develop: Brighton. One of the earliest indie developers, Romero began working in the game space in 1979 on mainframes before moving to the Apple II in 1981. He is a completely self-taught programmer, designer and artist.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »