The Fighting Game Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Fighting Game Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

BlazBlue series creator Toshimichi Mori leaves Arc System Works

Mori departs fighting games developer after 19 years.

BlazBlue series creator Toshimichi Mori has left Arc System Works after 19 years, he announced.

Get the full message from Mori below.

I have something to report to all of the users. I, Toshimichi Mori, have left Arc System works, the company I worked at for many years.

I first joined Arc System works after working on Guilty Gear X as an employee of PicPac, and I cherish many of the experiences I have had during my 20 years there, whether it was working for various fighting game titles, developing my own title BlazBlue, or connecting with many of our users.
I have nothing but gratitude towards the staff of Arc System Works and others who have worked with me, as well as all the users who supported us. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
I will depart from Arc System Works. This may cause some feelings of anxiety, especially among fans of the BlazBlue series. For this, I sincerely apologize.
At the moment I’m thinking of creating and delivering a game for the users in some way, and am going to focus my strength on that endeavor. Your support would be much appreciated.
—Toshimichi Mori

Source: Gematsu

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I thought everyone was done parrying me in this game. I THOUGHT my SA1 Chun-Li in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike was UNPARRYABLE, but this Hugo did it. They successfully parried me and now... I have to go back to the drawing board.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

also fits the retro thread but since I remembered this one existed, this time

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 4.08.42 PM.png
Mortal Kombat FAQ wrote: Q: What platforms will Mortal Kombat 1 be available on?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will be available for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Q: Which PC platforms will Mortal Kombat 1 be available on?
A: Mortal Kombat 1 will be available on PC via Steam and Epic Games Store.

Q: How much does Mortal Kombat 1 cost?
A: The Mortal Kombat 1 Standard Edition will be available physically and digitally for $69.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC, including Steam and Epic Games Store.

The Mortal Kombat 1 Premium Edition will be available physically and digitally for $109.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam and Epic Games Store) and will include all Standard Edition content, along with the Kombat Pack, early access to the game beginning Sept. 14, and 1,250 Dragon Krystals (in-game currency). The Kombat Pack will feature a Johnny Cage character skin with the likeness of famed actor and martial artist, Jean-Claude Van Damme (available at launch), early access to six new playable characters (available post-launch), and five new Kameo Fighters (available post-launch).

The Mortal Kombat 1 Kollector’s Edition will be available physically at select retailers for $249.99 (SRP) on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S only and will include all Premium Edition content, and early access, along with a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture designed by COARSE and an inspired Liu Kang in-game character skin, three exclusive art prints, a steel case, and 1,450 additional Dragon Krystals (2,700 total).

Q: Will there be opportunities to play Mortal Kombat 1 before release?
A: Players who pre-order the game on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S will receive access to the Mortal Kombat 1 Beta, which will be available in August 2023.
Tell me the least amount of money I have to spend to get Jean-Claude and I'll gladly pay it, WB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Here's what a Mortal Kombat Classic HD Remaster could look like

Twitter's "AFredenucci" has shared a video, showcasing what a Mortal Kombat HD Remaster could have looked like. In order to create the new 2D sprites, AFredenucci most likely used AI tools, and the results are truly incredible.

In this comparison video, we get to see Sonya, Liu Kang, Johnny Cage and Scorpion. AFredenucci claims that these aren't the final sprites, so we can expect to see some improvements to them in another update.

Now I don't know whether it's possible to replace the vanilla 2D sprites of the fighters with these new ones. In theory, this would be possible in the arcade version of Mortal Kombat 2. For the first MK game, though, that seems unlikely to happen. So, perhaps a MUGEN MK game using these sprites?

This isn't the first time we see an HD Remaster of the classic Mortal Kombat games. In January 2023, we shared a video for Mortal Kombat 2. As with this fan project, that remaster used AI techniques in order to enhance the original 2D sprites.

From what we know so far, NetherRealm does not have any plans for remastering these classic Mortal Kombat games. And that's a shame. By using AI tools, the developers won't have to digitize new actors. In other words, right now, it could be possible to remaster all three classic MK games.

Anyway, enjoy the comparison video and stay tuned for more!

Source: DSOG

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

When I see the number 6 in the Street fighter 6 font, the GameCube launch music starts playing in my head...

I was about to ask if the GameCube even had a street fighter game, but then I concluded in a universe with 37,483 versions of Street fighter 2, the GameCube must have had at least one street fighter game even if playing it would be impossible with that controller layout.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

ian wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:20 pm When I see the number 6 in the Street fighter 6 font, the GameCube launch music starts playing in my head...

I was about to ask if the GameCube even had a street fighter game, but then I concluded in a universe with 37,483 versions of Street fighter 2, the GameCube must have had at least one street fighter game even if playing it would be impossible with that controller layout.
It surprisingly did not. The closest it got was Capcom vs SNK, which combined Street Fighter and King of Fighters characters together. I’ll let you decide if that’s close enough.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

It is not close enough, no wonder the GameCube lost to the PS2. It must be the only single console, indeed electronic device since 1987 not to have a street fighter game... Even shit like the Zodiac and Pippin and FM towns got street fighter. My kettle has a version of Street fighter, Street fighter is on more platforms than fucking doom...
(The zodiac and Pippin probably didn't get street fighter, but if they did I'm sure it was the best game on those systems)
Hang your heads in shame Nintendo... I guess Melee and Soul Calibur 2 is all the fighting games the cube needed though.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Street Fighter 6 continues a wild streak of high quality games from Capcom... but does this extend to the PC version? Truth is that Capcom's PC track record could be better and that critique applies to this PC port too. Aside from some absolutely baffling texture quality issues, it's perfectly fine - but there's the sense that the developer has no real ambition to make the most of the PC platform.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Fighting Game Community Is Entering A New Golden Era — Here's Why

By Ben Goldhaber

My background in competitive gaming is not in fighting games.

Actually, it was just about the opposite: I cut my teeth competing in first person shooters like TRIBES, and discovered my love of esports following Quake Live and attending my first QuakeCon in 2009.

But for some reason, fighting games (and the fighting game community in general) have always been among my very favorite esports events to watch and attend.

I first started following the FGC seriously with the launch Street Fighter 4 (an "09-er" as it were).

Not only was SF4 selling like hot cakes, it also coincided with live streaming platforms like Ustream and Justin.tv gaining popularity, making esports broadcasts accessible to the masses for the first time. It was the beginning of a golden era for the FGC (and esports in general).

Around this time I had become completely obsessed with watching every esports stream I could find, whether it be Quake, Heroes of Newerth, CS 1.6, or Street Fighter.

One weekend, I stumbled across the Evo 2009 broadcast, which had peaked at a massive viewership number of… 20,000 concurrent viewers. This was the highest peak viewership I had seen at the time. The matches were incredible (still one of the greatest Evo finals imo), and the hype was palpable. And oh man, that viewership blew my mind. My interest was piqued.

Despite never playing a fighting game seriously, I decided to grab my laptop and head to my first FGC major the next year — NorCal Regionals 2010.

I volunteered to help the iplaywinner team with Ustream chat moderation and stream promotion and despite some very real "FGC vs. Esports", erm, friction shall we say (there was a lot of friendly and not so friendly banter, but I digress), I was welcomed into the scene. More importantly, the energy in that room when FChamp (a NorCal native) took out Daigo was unlike anything I had experienced before. It was an incredible experience. I was hooked.

Over the course of the next decade I had the opportunity to play a small role helping the FGC via my various positions at Twitch in ways I never imagined possible, attending a dozen FGC majors and 10 Evos, loving each more than the last.

This is why I could not be more excited to see the FGC entering a new, unprecedented era.

[H1]The FGC's new golden era is upon us.[/H1]
If you know me, you know that I'm pretty much the biggest cheerleader in all of esports. I was the guy who was bullish on the Overwatch League and told everyone BRINK was the next big shooter after all.

But this time, it's an undeniable that we're around the corner from the best time ever to be a fighting game fan.

Here are my top 4 reasons why:

1. Street Fighter 6's launch has been excellent
If the last golden era for the FGC was kicked off by the launch of Street Fighter 4, it's slump may have been because of Street Fighter 5. It was not a good game at launch. It sucked the air out of the room.

In contrast, SF6 has been amazing from the getgo. The graphics, the new mechanics, the marketing, the sales figures, the hype have all been there.

This is exemplified in no better way than SF6's Evo presence.

7,061 players signed up to play in the tournament. It is impossible to overemphasize just how incredible that number is. Not only was it the biggest esports tournament ever by entrants, it isn't even close. This beat out the previous record of 5,107 competitors from Evo 2016 by a huge margin.

Viewership for the Evo 2023's Top 6 was also record-breaking by my estimation, with well over 400,000 viewers watching simultaneously on Twitch and YouTube.

Which leads me to my next point…

2. Evo is thriving under new management
In 2021 it was announced that Evo had been acquired in a joint venture by Sony and RTS.

This came out of left field, after all, Evo was a community event through and through all these years. Many were concerned that Evo might become more corporate and lose its feel.

Two years in, that fear has officially been put to bed. Evo under Sony and RTS's management hasn't lost an iota of it's charm. It has, however, improved in several notable ways…
  • improved production value all around
  • larger show floor size with more vendors
  • more endemic and non-endemic corporate sponsors (shoutout to Chipotle)
  • adding a 3rd Evo annually in a TBA location
Arguably most importantly, it has a new front man at it's helm, one of the most respected and renowned tournament organizers in the FGC: Rick "TheHadou" Thiher.

3. Rollback netcode makes online FGC viable for the first time
The FGC has always been about meeting up — in person, at your local, at the arcade, and at majors. But that doesn't mean that the online play can't work for fighting games, it just hasn't worked in the past.

Substantial lag in fighting games or Smash essentially make kill the fun and competitive integrity. Of course, this is also true to in any game, but to a much lesser degree than in fighting games.

Enter… rollback netcode.

I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty, but essentially rollback makes playing west coast to east coast viable… or even cross-continent.

The FGC and Smash communities were hurt more by COVID than any other gaming community. It was a dark, dark period. But with rollback, FGC tournaments can happen online legitimately today in essentially all modern games. This widens the pool of potential competitors by a mile.

Online play has been a staple of esports for decades, and now is finally viable in the FGC too.

[H2]4. More big game releases are on the horizon — including Project L[/H2]
Street Fighter 6 is still hot off the shelves, and will surely be around for years to come with updates, new characters, and new abilities coming soon. Guilty Gear Strive has plenty of content releasing regularly.

Arguably the next two most important FG franchises, Tekken and Mortal Kombat, also have mainline releases coming in the near future. By all accounts from Evo, Tekken 8 and MK1 are looking good.

But potentially the most impactful of all, Project L, is on the horizon.

I shouldn't have to expound on just how influential Riot's free to play model has been to the esports space. The free to play business model means everyone and their mothers can and will play your game. League of Legends is still the #1 esports in the world, and Riot has done what they did to MOBAs now what they did with tactical shooters (VALORANT) and auto chess (TFT). I'm betting they're going to do it again with fighting games.

There has never been a truly great F2P fighting game, but that's likely to change. Project L looks beautiful and is building off the amazing LoL IP. Project L's dev team is full game designers pulled directly out of the FGC, including of course Tom and Tony Cannon (Evo's original founders, and the creators of GGPO netcode — aka rollback netcode), MvC2 legend Clockw0rk, and many others.

Riot also invests in esports like no other developer, it's not hard to imagine that there will be more prize money, more tournaments, more sponsors, more competitors, and more interest in Project L than potentially any fighting game before it. Let's go.

In conclusion
Snarky tweets aside, it breaks my heart to see the esports industry hit so hard by the economic downturn. The sponsors, developers, sports billionaires, and venture capitalists that propped up esports' exponential growth over the past decade are beginning to pull back, causing major teams to shutter and even franchised leagues to be in serious jeopardy.

Meanwhile, the FGC, built upon a strong grassroots foundation and saddled with several strong tailwinds, is primed for its best era ever.

Of course, only time will tell if the upcoming slate of new games will live up to our lofty expectations and if the trends we saw at Evo 2023 will continue. But I've never been more optimistic on the future of fighting games, as a community and as an esports.

Let's get hype for the new golden era for the FGC.

Source: Medium