Tasmanian devil found under couch in Hobart home, after being mistaken for dog's plush toy

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Tasmanian devil found under couch in Hobart home, after being mistaken for dog's plush toy

Post by Roofus »

A Hobart woman and her children have taken refuge on top of their dining table as a little Tasmanian devil made its way around their suburban house, chased by the woman's husband.

About 10pm on Wednesday Kirsten Lynch heard her four-month-old golden retriever puppy give "a very strange bark".

She ran downstairs and went to pick up the puppy's Tasmanian devil-shaped stuffed toy, when the plush "toy" started running.

"I went to reach for it and the devil shot underneath the couch," she said.

"I got a fright of my life. I woke the whole family up.

"This little Tasmanian devil was hiding underneath my couch."

Ms Lynch lives next to bushland in Sandy Bay and sometimes leaves the door open for her puppy that's being toilet trained — she believes that was when the little opportunist decided to sneak in.

"At one stage we had the whole family standing on the dining room table while my husband was trying to chase the poor thing out with a broom," she said.

"It was very cute but it was very unusual."

After a few minutes of hide and seek, the devil took off for the bush outside.

Because it did not appear to be hurt, the family decided not to call Bonorong wildlife sanctuary.

Bonorong director Greg Irons said this was the time of the year when juvenile animals wandered into suburban areas.

"There's a lot of young ones that are leaving their mothers and they're heading out to try and find their way. That's obviously a pretty tough gig," he said.

"When you're young, you don't know where food is, you don't know where water is."

Animals seeking water investigate pet food and water bowls, he said.

On Thursday morning alone, Bonorong received two call-outs from members of the public about Tasmanian devil spottings, with team members responding to a juvenile Tasmanian devil hiding underneath a dog kennel in Huonville in Tasmania's south and a young devil hit by a car in the north.

A week ago, a Tasmanian devil was seen roaming the streets of West Hobart before it was taken to taken to Bonorong, reportedly "riddled" with facial tumour disease.

"When we do see one in a suburban area it's not necessarily because it's just exploring or we're pushing it out of its zone. That one was absolutely starving just looking for something to eat," Mr Irons said.

"There's a sure sign that something is very, very likely wrong if they're out during the daytime."

Source: ABC

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Tasmanian devil found under couch in Hobart home, after being mistaken for dog's plush toy

Post by ian »

Rookie mistake leaving a door open.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Re: Tasmanian devil found under couch in Hobart home, after being mistaken for dog's plush toy

Post by 2dr »

I swear if I ever go to Tasmania I am gonna get a heap of Tasi Devil plush Toys and leave them where people will get a horrible fright when they see them. Like when they lift the toilet lid.