The Weather Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: The Weather Thread

Post by pixel »

It snowed a foot (30.5 cm) and it'll get to -10°F/-12°C tonight.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

do you live in a freezer or something?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

It’s funny because usually when large snow hits the Midwest we are usually in the thick of it. But this time it was 65F/18C today and super nice.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:43 am It’s funny because usually when large snow hits the Midwest we are usually in the thick of it. But this time it was 65F/18C today and super nice.

The fun part is seeing people argue online on whether Minnesota got enough snow to cancel school. Apparently some folks think the kids are too weak if they can't go to school during blizzard conditions and a foot of snow.

I got stuck at the driveway Thursday and it took me an hour to get back into the garage. They made the right call out here in the boonies :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

pixel wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:58 pm
melancholy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:43 am It’s funny because usually when large snow hits the Midwest we are usually in the thick of it. But this time it was 65F/18C today and super nice.

The fun part is seeing people argue online on whether Minnesota got enough snow to cancel school. Apparently some folks think the kids are too weak if they can't go to school during blizzard conditions and a foot of snow.

I got stuck at the driveway Thursday and it took me an hour to get back into the garage. They made the right call out here in the boonies :olol:
If it makes you feel better, it dropped from 65F/18C to 24F/-4C in a matter of 5 hours. No snow, though.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

:osmile: It'll be back up to a balmy 38F by Sunday

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Winter has hit Melbourne! I've gone from a light t-shirt, light shorts and bare feet in the house to a long sleeve shirt, my worn out thin as a tissue track pants, and socks!

it's 11°C at 2PM.

I am officially old because I used to live in thongs, a shirt and shorts at any temperature above 4 and only considered less than 4 a bit nippy.

Looking forward to going up the mountains this year, though. Gonna try and get some new boots, gloves and a jacket tomorrow.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It has been chilly the past few days.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

temp_contour_keloland.jpg
windchill_contour_keloland.jpg
:uhoh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The coldest game I ever attended was 13°F and that was pretty bad. I thought I was warm until I got to the hotel. It's hard to describe, but my whole back was cold to the touch. I could feel it unthawing.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Southeast suburbs of Melbourne were lashed by thunderstorms and flash flooding last night, Tuesday morning from midnight until about 2:30 am.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

And here in the Northeast suburbs, not a single drop of rain and the thunder that was apparently window shatteringly loud was barely enough to wake me up.

The lightning was a nice show though.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Indiana got hit by tornados last night. I was with the kids at a skating party when the sirens went off and they had us take cover. When we were released from the skating rink and got near home, we saw emergency vehicles all over our road. Turns out the tornado hit our road before heading into town and destroying a good chunck of it. It missed our house by about 800 feet (250 meters). I never heard so many emergency vehicle sirens going off at once. Lights everywhere blocking every road in or out. It was complete chaos.

Spent part of the day today picking up pieces of neighbors roof out of my yard and answering questions from every passerby that pulled up to the house. We walked down to see the damaged houses, but left after a news crew showed up. You could hear around 4 helicopters an hour flying over doing areial views. I went into town briefly to see what happened but the highway was practically closed off from downed trees.

In all, we were very lucky. A house 500 feet (150 meters) away had a third of it’s shingles ripped off. 2 houses down from that, their porch was destroyed and a beam went though their front window. The next house no longer has a roof. And all the houses beyond that are rubble. The worst thing to happen to us was having to throw out all our food because we were without power for so long. But as one of the neighbors said, better to fill trash bags than body bags.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sounds like it was a rough time. Glad you and your family are OK, mel.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Holy shit, glad you're okay :frown:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Jesus!
That's so close it's almost unreal.

I've never had to huddle/hold up at a public place because of a natural disaster event but I imagine it felt safer than if you were at home when it hit.

Happy you and the family are ok, and the house wasn't totalled. And can sympathise with having to clean up a yard after a damn storm. :olol:
-Two Interactive.