Steam Deck Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Steam Deck Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Still waiting Valve... The steam deck is going to become to Australia what Half Life 3 is to the world isn't it?
Never going to happen.

And no I'm not grey importing one with no warranty and no local support or distribution or spare parts or accessories or anything else for full price and I'm not paying $1000 for a disgusting, gross used one... When I can walk into a local retailer, hand over $1200 cash for the top model and also pick up a dock and screen protector, and extra chargers etc, we'll talk. Untill then, it may as well not exist. If I saw a used one for like $200, I'd pick one up, but any more and I'll just keep angrily waiting.

Fortunately my desktops are Holding up OK, and I'm still playing mostly old games.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I believe you can get one from Kogan with local warranty. The partner of a mate of mine got one that way.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

As mentioned a few weeks ago, I got one brand new from Kogan for $747. I added a spare 256GB 2230 NVME to it, but it runs games from a microSD card fine.

It's great. RDR2 is nice on it. It runs stuff like Fallout 3 & Bully without needing to mod them, unlike the Windows 10/11 versions.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I really want one but a) I just quit my job and don't start another one for almost 3 weeks b) Steam Deck 2 isn't probably that far off

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

From what I read a month ago, the only upgrades that might get made to the next SD will be an OLED screen, maybe a bigger battery and some other smaller upgrades. The chipset will stay the same for another few years.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The software support has been excellent. Everyone was nervous that Steam couldn't deliver on their marketing promises, but I think they have. But there are still small snags and hangups with their OS, so I'd say there are two camps:

If you're only going to play games that are 100% verified, you'll have a carefree time with the system. There will always be crashes and bugs, but any verified game I play runs well enough.

Emulation works really well with EmuDeck. I'd say anyone that can read this forum post can get EmuDeck installed and the ROMs/ISOs transferred over to the Deck. Even for the advanced users, I think EmuDeck is almost mandatory for emulation on the Steam Deck.

If you want to play games that are just playable, YMMV. There are games I own in that category might as well be verified save for a small issue with text or an annoying launcher sign in. But stuff like Cities Skylines refuses to work for me, which is really disappointing considering the Deck has dual trackpads.

To learn more about how a game really runs on Deck, ProtonDB is the best resource I've found.

Long story short: The Steam Deck has the capability to perform as smoothly as any other console for most popular games. But for those that don't work well, you might need to put in time and effort to adjust settings and controls. I consider that a strength of the system because I enjoy that, but if you don't, it might be enough to skip the Deck.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Oliver's back with another in his regular analysis of the most demanding PC titles and the extent to which you can get a playable experience from them on Steam Deck. There's no holds barred here as the Valve handheld tries to take on nightmare games like The Last of Us Part 1, Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil 4, Dead Space Remake and even Redfall.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

this would also fit the Emu & Sega threads but seemed fitting here

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: The Open Handheld Thread