General Movie News

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: General Movie News

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

So the update for Spawn was that the project is active and McFarlane hired the guy who wrote Joker.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235232458/

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Disney Shocker! Bob Iger Back As CEO, Bob Chapek Out

After less than a year in retirement, Bob Iger has returned as the CEO of the Walt Disney Company.

The board just sent out a notice that Bob I. is back and recently re-upped Bob Chapek is out. “I am deeply honored to be asked to again lead this remarkable team, with a clear mission focused on creative excellence to inspire generations through unrivaled, bold storytelling,” said Iger tonight.

Having handed over the baton as CEO in February 2020 to Chapek — a stunning move unto itself at the time — and then serving as executive chairman until the end of 2021, Iger will be CEO for a second time for the next two years, the company says. Iger had previously been top dog at the House of Mouse from 2005 for 15 years, the final stage of what would be a 47-year run at Disney.

“The board has concluded that as Disney embarks on an increasingly complex period of industry transformation, Bob Iger is uniquely situated to lead the company through this pivotal period,” said board chair Susan Arnold in the official announcement (read it below), just a couple of weeks after a rougher-than-expected quarterly earnings report by the company. Once a overachiever buoyed by success in streaming, Disney’s stock has recently sunk to a multi-year low as executives have warned of weak revenue and profit gains in the year to come.

Given the considerable turbulence experienced by Disney since Iger left the corner office, and also given his well-earned reputation for being as smooth and diplomatic a leader as Chapek could be an awkward and untested one, Iger was repeatedly asked if he would consider an encore. He always steadfastly refused, recently citing his new phase as an investor and industry observer with a lot more time on his hands. At 71 years old, though, he is certainly not at what is considered automatic retirement age in a business sector where many CEOs are active into their 80s and beyond. Rupert Murdoch, coincidentally Disney’s largest shareholder, is 91 and still chair of Fox Corp. and executive chair of News Corp.

“I don’t miss my job,” Iger declared during a September sit-down at the Code conference. “Retirement is great, I have a vastly different life than before. Much more air in my day.”

Chapek joined Disney in 1993, leading the company’s home entertainment and parks divisions before surprising most in the entire media and entertainment industry by getting the nod. Kevin Mayer, who had steered strategic planning and then overseen the company’s streaming efforts and the launch of Disney+, was seen as a more likely successor than Chapek.

While Chapek managed to keep Disney from disaster during the onset of Covid in 2020, gradually winning the confidence of investors, he had rougher sledding in 2022. The company was facing an increasingly expensive and difficult slog in streaming, though Disney+ continued to be a growth engine. Apart from the financials, Chapek presided over the messy situation in Florida involving the company’s efforts to head off the state’s “Don’t Say Gay” legislation. Gov. Ron DeSantis mocked the company as “woke Disney,” prompting waves of negative attention from conservative media, while internally many employees were stung. Workers held walkouts in many locations to express their feelings about how Disney had handled the whole affair.

“We were reminded, through the passion of our cast’s reaction, how important their sentiments are on these issues,” Chapek recalled last month at a Wall Street Journal conference. The lesson he learned about navigating thorny political matters? “Stick to your values, to your north star. Simplify the cacophony of voices out there and do what you think is right.”

Another misstep, which many in the industry believed would never have happened on his predecessor’s watch, was publicly clashing with Scarlett Johansson over the release of Black Widow. The Marvel movie had gone out through the Premier Access window (a Chapek innovation during the pandemic that hasn’t been used in more than a year), meaning it was available for a premium on Disney+ at the same time it hit theaters. The actress sued over breach of contract, saying the method of release had cost her tens of millions in back-end payments. Disney hit back hard, calling Johansson’s suit “especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.”

While the suit was settled a few weeks later, the dustup — and particularly the sharp-elbowed statement aimed at an A-list star — became a talking point in the company’s overall dealings with talent.

Read the shocking official announcement here:

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) announced today that Robert A. Iger is returning to lead Disney as Chief Executive Officer, effective immediately. Mr. Iger, who spent more than four decades at the Company, including 15 years as its CEO, has agreed to serve as Disney’s CEO for two years, with a mandate from the Board to set the strategic direction for renewed growth and to work closely with the Board in developing a successor to lead the Company at the completion of his term. Mr. Iger succeeds Bob Chapek, who has stepped down from his position.

“We thank Bob Chapek for his service to Disney over his long career, including navigating the company through the unprecedented challenges of the pandemic,” said Susan Arnold, Chairman of the Board. “The Board has concluded that as Disney embarks on an increasingly complex period of industry transformation, Bob Iger is uniquely situated to lead the Company through this pivotal period.”

“Mr. Iger has the deep respect of Disney’s senior leadership team, most of whom he worked closely with until his departure as executive chairman 11 months ago, and he is greatly admired by Disney employees worldwide–all of which will allow for a seamless transition of leadership,” she said.

The position of Chairman of the Board remains unchanged, with Ms. Arnold serving in that capacity.

“I am extremely optimistic for the future of this great company and thrilled to be asked by the Board to return as its CEO,” Mr. Iger said. “Disney and its incomparable brands and franchises hold a special place in the hearts of so many people around the globe—most especially in the hearts of our employees, whose dedication to this company and its mission is an inspiration. I am deeply honored to be asked to again lead this remarkable team, with a clear mission focused on creative excellence to inspire generations through unrivaled, bold storytelling.”

During his 15 years as CEO, from 2005 to 2020, Mr. Iger helped build Disney into one of the world’s most successful and admired media and entertainment companies with a strategic vision focused on creative excellence, technological innovation and international growth. He expanded on Disney’s legacy of unparalleled storytelling with the acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm and 21st Century Fox and increased the Company’s market capitalization fivefold during his time as CEO. Mr. Iger continued to direct Disney’s creative endeavors until his departure as Executive Chairman last December, and the Company’s robust pipeline of content is a testament to his leadership and vision.

Source: Deadline

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

Hawq wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:01 am Indiana Jones 5
I suspect this movie will make people say: "You know, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was not that bad."

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

In other news, I am happy Cocaine Bear is getting a theatrical release locally on the 23rd.

When I first saw the trailer a while back I instantly told myself this will be a movie that if I can't see in a cinema, I won't be watching it.

The last time I was in a cinema for a non Star Wars movie was I wanna say 2012. And the last time I was in a Cinema at all was 2018 for Solo.

And even if the movie sucks total ass, IT DOESN'T MATTER! It's a stupid concept based on a stupid story, and I think it'll be a classic so bad it's good again movie...
The last so bad it's good again movie was supposed to be the original eyes version of sonic which was so cruelly taken from the world and turned into something that simply exists... So high/low hopes for this movie and I can't wait to pay out the ass to sit in a popcorn covered seat with a sticky floor beneath while people talk on their phones and people whisper shit to each other at the exact moment there's a slight silence from the 140 decibel speakers.

I really can't wait for this movie in the dogshit cinema experience, it's going to be perfect!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

The fact that it was made by Elizabeth Goddamn Banks who is known for romantic comedies and playing fucking Rita Repulsa just amazes me. She is delving into her dark side and if she ends up becoming one of the great horror directors imma flip my shit

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So Cocaine Bear was great. Margo Martindale stole the show.

Had just enough of everything I was hoping. Great fun and I'll be getting this on 4K when it comes out.

Out there great. Like Hobo with a Shotgun was out there great, except this has a bear on cocaine instead.

I was actually let down a little by the cinema... It was too good! Prices were reasonable, it was clean with heaps of legroom and electric reclining seats not covered in shit and the 7 other people in the cinema didn't talk a single word, just occasional laughter.

2 tickets with a Large Pepsi each and a medium popcorn to share was less than $50...
That's a price I'd be happy to pay again for a comedy/horror/thriller movie of this calibre.
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

If real. IN!
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

ian wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:25 amIf real. IN!
These were the people who made Sharknado, so they're probably really doing it.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

its in the usual place

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Madden NFL Movie in Development With Will Ferrell as Madden and David O. Russell Directing

David O. Russell meets EA.

Will Ferrell is looking to team up with director David O. Russell for Madden, a biopic about football coach/commentator and video game icon John Madden, according to Deadline.

IGN has reached out to Amazon, which is apparently distributing the movie with MGM, for comment.

Ferrell is reportedly circling the role of Madden himself as he transitions from sports commentator to runaway video game success story. More specifically, it will recount how Madden helped co-create Electronic Arts' Madden NFL series, which has since become one of the world's most profitable video game franchises.

As of 2013, the Madden NFL franchise has grossed over $4 billion in sales, per a 2015 CNN report. Madden, who passed away in December 2021, served as a consultant for the series.

Ferrell, a four-time Emmy winner best known for his stint on Saturday Night Live as well as his roles in various comedy films, is hot off the Apple TV+ projects Spirited and The Shrink Next Door. He will next appear as a Mattel CEO in Greta Gerwig's Margot Robbie-led Barbie movie.

Russell's work as a writer/director includes Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, and last year's Amsterdam. His next film will be the Keke Palmer and Sacha Baron Cohen-starring Super Toys, which centers around two toy sales reps desperate road-tripping across Middle America.

Madden is based on a script from Cambron Clark.

Source: IGN

I would like to see a movie based on the commentator in Joe Montana II: Sports Talk Football.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Will better start eating now.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

My next movie to see has hit select cinemas last week: The Machine. The original story was great, my last outing to the cinema was great and it's got the
huge bonus that it's got Mark Hamill in it.

I love Mark Hamill, so I'm looking forward to this, even if it's not in my closest cinema and I gotta go half way across town to see it.
-Two Interactive.