The SEGA Thread: This thread does what Nintendon't

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: The SEGA Thread: This thread does what Nintendon't

Post by Hawq »

pixel wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:07 amWe bought a 32X on deep clearance and got three games (Chaotix, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Racer Deluxe).
With those games I think Meatloaf said it best, 2 out of 3 aint bad. I mean what was Sega thinking with Chaotix, heres a spin off from a game about going fast where its basically imposible to go fast? these days it just sits in my retro collection gathering dust & the rom gathers virtual dust

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Sega was thinking, "Oh shit, we just launched this bizarre hardware add-on and we need games!" So they panicked, went to their devs, and found this half-baked idea sitting on the shelf.

The late 90s was such a depressing time to be a Sonic fan.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:48 amThe late 90s was such a depressing time to be a Sonic fan.
But not as bad as the early, mid or Late 00's, 10's, and 20's, so there's that!

But if you ever feel bad about the games and think they're shit, just play 2006 and all the others get better. I got to the whale from Sonic Adventure this time before I'd simply had enough of the shithouse inconsistent controls, retarded camera, painful groan inducing plot and all around mediocrity and gave up entirely, which is a little further than I made it about a decade ago but not quite as far as in 2007.

Sonic 2006 makes even Shadow the Hedgehog a god damn masterpiece when side by side, and if it can make that game good, it can make any sonic game good!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

:olol: At least the newer generations actually got decent games! Were they all great? Maybe not, but that's a subjective matter. I can appreciate the newer games and their fans now after years of resentment.

But 90s Sonic man, what a shitshow. There was such a drop-off in quality across the board.

You had all the original games and they were a big deal. Then Sonic & Knuckles came out in 1995 and it was pretty good! A little light on content—sure—but that lock-on technology was like black magic to me, a 9 year old. And you had Sky Sanctuary Zone, Mecha Sonic was badass, and you could play as Knuckles! Great stuff.

Like I said, we saw the 32X at Walmart for $50 in 1996 and I convinced my parents that it'd be like getting a whole new game system for cheap! Knuckles Chaotix looked pretty damn good, and the previous games were awesome, right? Then came the slow realization that Sega had bamboozled us. I still love my bastard son though, because I think Chaotix at least had heart. Plus, it was a spin-off! At least we got an awesome port of Virtua Racing out of the deal.

Us kids at school were so excited when a demo of Sonic 3D Blast showed up on Sega Channel. Will it be as good as Mario 64? Doubt it, it's still the same old Genesis but it's been a few years since an actual Sonic game. What another let down. But Jun Senoue killed it with the music (Diamond Dust especially). No one except Gamehut himself really loves Sonic 3D Blast.

The Saturn was an enigma around here. No one owned one, and the only way we could play one was at the store. They only ever had Panzer Dragoon as the demo game, so why spend $399 on that when you can get an N64 or PS1? I heard rumors of Sonic games for the Saturn, so I was pretty excited when I finally got a second-hand system. Sonic Jam was such a slap in the face. 45 minutes of a decent-looking 3D tech demo paired with the same four games I already owned on Genesis. Why can't the hub world be the actual game!? I was so frustrated at this point. I never got the chance to buy (or even play) Sonic R and the Dreamcast was on its way.

And then there were the Archie comics, I loved those. They took the original Saturday morning cartoon plot and characters and it was a serviceable action comic for younger kids. Then they started working in the mainline stories from the games. Death Egg Saga was the best! But then in one year (1996), we went from the Mecha Madness single-issue special (fucking awesome, look at this!) to ... Sonic Live (dear god why).

And then this happened:

I hated this look so much. Since Sonic Jam was just a glorified art gallery and Genesis emulator, I had seen the classic look and thought it looked so cool. This new green-eyed abomination got added to the Archie comics, and too went my attention for the new Sonic games.

Despite the art style, Sonic Adventure still blew me away. Let's not pretend like it wasn't a critical darling, because every outlet's opinion ranged from good game to "greatest video game of all-time." I also played the hell out of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on GC.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »