Calavera's Record Collection Thread 2.0

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Calavera's Record Collection Thread 2.0

Post by Calavera »

Back in July 2020 I posted a Record Collection Thread where I had taken pictures of all the records I have. There was around 104 records or so total. I wanted again to take pictures of all the records I have and try to keep it updated when I get new ones. I now have 230 records in my main collection! One reason for wanting to have pictures of all them is so I can easily look and see what I have and also look them up and see which ones if any are selling for a decent amount.

I obviously don't need them all and haven't even listened to a large majority of them. When I'm out and see ones that interest me I pick them up if they are only $1 or $2. Take a look through them if you have the time and tell me what you think. Good or bad :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Calavera's Record Collection Thread 2.0

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've heard that Touch Typing Made Simple is a banger.

There's some decent stuff in that lot.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:44 pm I've heard that Touch Typing Made Simple is a banger.

There's some decent stuff in that lot.
:olol: It is right up there with the fake religious Don Johnson!

Thanks, I like to think it is a somewhat decent collection. There is some junk but a lot of decent stuff too.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I've come across a unique record in my collection.

I originally purchased it just because I thought it had a cool looking cover. I have been looking up all my records to get a rough value of each one but when I came to this one I couldn't find any information. I could find the Amy Grant album Find a Way but it had an entirely different cover.

The only place I could find it was on discogs where there is one available for sale for about $250! Now I know that doesn't necessarily mean it is worth that much. On the have want section it says 3 people have it and 17 people want it which means it must be kind of rare. Turns out it is a BBC Radioplay album.

At the top of the disc it says "Copyright Record Made In England Not Available to the public" I found this information about these types of records.
BBC Radioplay Music Library produced a series of Radioplay LPs & CDs exclusive to the British Broadcasting Corporation for use in its radio broadcasts. BBC Radioplay LPs & CDs were produced solely for broadcast by BBC radio stations and featured recordings that were free from Copyright, containing tracks recorded by the BBC (or partner organisations in Europe, USA etc). A number were live recordings, but there are also versions of well known songs recorded in the radio stations studios.
I need to look into it a bit more but hopefully I've found one record that could possibly pay for the whole collection! :osmile:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That's pretty cool. And the cover does look nice.

It is fairly rare. This site has it for only $32 though.

https://www.fleetwoodmac.net/vintage/Am ... 07644.html

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

These were all $1.50 apiece. With Age of Aquarius I do have two other copies but this one is in much nicer condition and has a gatefold cover which I don't think the other two do. Midnight Sun - No parking on the dance floor I had never heard of before but I played a few tracks and it is a pretty good album.

The most interesting ones are in the second picture. They appear to all be DJ albums. One is from 1990 while the other are from around 2006 and 2007. I've only ever come across one DJ record before.(It is in the 7th picture last one in top row) Most all of my other records are obviously older stuff so it is kind of interesting to have some with somewhat recent rap on them. They are SUPER BASS heavy. If you had a really good system these things would pound. It is the most bass I've ever heard come from a record.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up a couple of good ones today including THRILLER! It isn't the Thriller album it is the "Special 12" Dance Single" with Thriller on one side and Thriller Instrumental on the other. I was really surprised to find it at Goodwill since usually any albums of popular artists usually go online. While I was looking through the records an employee came by and put a couple albums on the shelf. That is how I got Thriller and Sheela E.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Without looking at all the pictures, how much Beegee's do you have?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:30 am Without looking at all the pictures, how much Beegee's do you have?
Lol, I don't think I have any Beegees.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Some good vinyl there Cal. Sheila E ! Romance 1600 is another good album by Sheila if you find it "A Love Bizarre" is on that where she sings with Prince. Id also check out the other Prince associated groups if you come across them as some aren't on streaming services. Jill Jones, The Family, Vanity 6, Apolllonia 6, The Time, Mazarati, Madhouse.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I've picked up a few more of those DJ records and need to take pics of them. For right now I picked this up earlier today. I usually don't even look through the records at this particular store anymore as it is usually 99.9-100 percent garbage records that you couldn't hardly give away. But today this one was right up front.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I finally got around to take pictures of records I've acquired since my last update. 36 new ones!

As you can see there are a lot of "DJ records" and "Promotional Copy Only Not For Sale". I don't think they are really worth anything I just think they are kind of cool because I don't come across ones like that very often. Sorry the picture quality is crappy and all the labels aren't readable. I need to go through and type out what each one is. As far as covers Petra is my favorite one. It looks like it could be the cover for some random 80s space shooter! *edit I just looked it up and apparently Petra is "Classic Christian Rock" I would have never guessed that from the front cover!

I really need to quit buying so many records. I guess 36 isn't too awful bad when you consider that is how many I've bought since March. So around 6 a month. I do at least put most of them on and check them out even if it is only for a few minutes. But overall I don't really listen to them. Every once in awhile I'll pull out a favorite and listen to a few tracks but that is about it. I'm always complaining about how retro video game collectors have all those games but never play them. But then again I'm not paying $100s for certain records and seeking out rare and expensive records that I have no intention of ever listening to. I always think it is ridiculous when retro collectors have stuff like Barbie and Sesame Street lol.

Also unlike most collectors I'd happily sell my entire record collection for a decent price. I have around 300 records atm. If someone offered to buy them all for $2.50 a piece I'd be thrilled with that! That would be $750 and sure I could get more than that by selling them one by one or in smaller lots but I don't think I could turn down $750 for a bunch of records that just sit on a shelf 99.9 percent of the time!

Anyways that is my update :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I'm disappointed the truck driving songs record isn't just 22 minutes of Convoy by C.W. McCall on side 1 and 22 minutes of truck Drivin' Song by Weird Al Yankovic on side 2.

If I got a record called truck driving songs pressed, that would be the entire record.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.