I've been playing 18 Wheeler (DC) for 20+ years and never knew about this

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

I've been playing 18 Wheeler (DC) for 20+ years and never knew about this

Post by Calavera »

Back when the Dreamcast was discontinued in 2002 games for it were dirt cheap. I picked up pretty much any game that was even remotely worth playing. One of those was 18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker. Now this isn't a game I would sit and play for hours on end. It was something I'd throw on for a bit every once in awhile. Lately I've been playing it on emulation. I'll load it up every now and again and run through the arcade mode and try to beat my high score.

I never pick the trucker named Longhorn as the truck stats seem crappy compared to the rest, but this time I did just to see if it was any harder using him. It wasn't really any harder, I made it through the arcade mode. When I went to start another game I saw there was a new truck!

Nippon Maru

I never knew that there were even any additional trucks to unlock in the game! It was kind of cool to discover a secret I never knew about in a game I've played so much over the years. I looked it up afterwards and all you have to do to unlock him is finish arcade mode as each trucker one time. Since I never pick Longhorn I never unlocked him until now.

It was almost like I was back in 2001 for a brief second when I saw that truck appear. With the internet pretty much any secret in a game is spoiled very quickly. Yet I somehow never knew about this for 20+ years. I see you can also play as Lizard Tail by beating arcade mode with each driver on very hard difficulty. Too bad I saw that. I would have been even more surprised if I had done that without knowing.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: I've been playing 18 Wheeler (DC) for 20+ years and never knew about this

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Spoiler!

After you unlock everything in the game, you then unlock DreamSNES 1.0.