Why did they used to call roms "Warez" and why did they stop?

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Why did they used to call roms "Warez" and why did they stop?

Post by Calavera »

I'm sure we all remember "warez" sites back in the day. For some reason pirated stuff and roms were always referred to as warez. I never really thought about it until now but why did they call it that? Wikipedia says it is short for computer software, hmm maybe but then you'd think they would have called it softwarez. Atleast that wiki article confirms I have been pronouncing it right. It is pronounced like wares which is how I always said it. I've heard other people pronounce it like War-ez like Juarez Mexico.

When and why did people quit using the word? Now they just say pirate sites or torrent sites. Warez sounded way cooler! I'm a leet hacker downloading teh warez. While we're talking about warez remember how they would say "You must delete this within 24 hours if you don't own the game" LOL Where did they come up with that one? I'm pretty sure that was never a law "You can download cracked software and games you don't own just so long as you delete it within 24 hours" well what if I delete it after 23 hours and then download it again? Can I then keep that one for another 24 hours? I realize it was some way for them to seem like they weren't a pirate, ahem excuse me. weren't a warez site. But since deleting it after 24 hours was never a thing how was that supposed to protect them?

While I'm on the topic let me tell you about the first warez site I remember going to. It was a place called Plasticmans Emulation Zone. It was freaking awesome at the time! It had all your NES,SNES and Genesis roms to download individually. And next to each one was a little review of the game. I was on dial-up internet at the time and spent hours upon hours downloading every SNES and Genesis rom. I probably did NES as well. It took a long long time but I did it. It was once I got up to wanting every N64 game where the trouble began. SNES and Genesis games were around 512kb-4mb. At 28.8kbps that is around 3-19 minutes per game! So like I said it was slow but it was doable. N64 games though were anywhere from 3mb for the really small games up to a whopping 64mb! Although there are only about 5 games that are bigger than 30mb. But that is 14 minutes for 3MB and 5 HOURS for 64MB! So you're looking at 10 hours just to get Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I don't think Plasticman had N64. At first I tried downloading them from IRC. I think I got a few through there but it wasn't a great process. The place I ended up getting N64 from was I believe called Emuchina. Since it took so long for a single game I skipped all the sports games as it was pointless to spend hours downloading games I would never play. Although to be fair I probably never played the majority of the NES,SNES and Genesis games! :olol: But I did find some classics I didn't know about in them. Such as Darkwing Duck on NES.

Well that ends my history of warez talk. Does anyone here remember Plasticman or Emuchina? Plasticman's Emulation Zone was all the way back in the 90s. I got into emulation pretty early on. I was so amazed I could have every SNES and Genesis game on my computer. I don't remember the exact year I got into emulation but I want to say it was probably around 1997-1998. I know at the time that Super Mario RPG wasn't emulated. Pilotwings wouldn't even play properly. So I'm guessing any game with a helper chip wouldn't have run. I'm also pretty sure the first SNES emulator I used was ZSNES. For Genesis I can't remember but I know I used Gens once it came out. At first it was only Genesis. When they added Sega CD support I was again blown away! I could now play those Sega CD games I played all those years ago as a kid....you know all 5-6 years ago. :olol: It is crazy how short periods of time seem so long when you're a kid. 32X support was eventually added and I was excited for that because I never got to try out the 32X. For the longest time I thought the music in Spiderman Web of Fire sounded so terrible because it wasn't emulated properly. Turns out that is how it is supposed to sound!

Ok I'm done for real now. I doubt many of you read that whole thing but oh well sometimes I just like typing. Especially stories from the past.

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Why did they used to call roms "Warez" and why did they stop?

Post by ian »

Calavera wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:59 pm I'm sure we all remember "warez" sites back in the day. For some reason pirated stuff and roms were always referred to as warez. I never really thought about it until now but why did they call it that? Wikipedia says it is short for computer software, hmm maybe but then you'd think they would have called it softwarez.
Warez is short for software.
Calling it Softwarez would have been longer than the original word. making the shortening of it useless.
Like when you call Conan O'Brien Conezies o'Breezies. That's longer than Conan O'Brien.

I mean we could have just called it Ware, but the Z makes it sound good.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Fun fact, I got detention for going to a website that @Iced Coffee Man recommended to me in high school because it had a picture embedded in the site called 'warezreview.jpg' or some shit and the school filter caught it. I tried to argue it wasn't me "looking up Warez" but they didn't believe me

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ICM set you up! we all know he did.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

It's because he was jealous of my GTA4 motorbike riding abilities when I immediately crashed when you jumped on the back

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

That was our equivalent of "WATCH THIS!" But it's OK because I got you back in the koinigsegegegegegegegeggeegg races when forza 3 came out.

Everyones just going along having a race. Then I come along and crash all of us off the track. You, ICM, Cliff, me, EVERYONE! Simple circle race on a track it's impossible to crash on? not when I'm driving a Hello Kitty painted koinigsegegegegegegegeggeegg!
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

It's hard to have a good race when you drive straight on corners :olol:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:28 pm Fun fact, I got detention for going to a website that @Iced Coffee Man recommended to me in high school because it had a picture embedded in the site called 'warezreview.jpg' or some shit and the school filter caught it. I tried to argue it wasn't me "looking up Warez" but they didn't believe me
Lol that is pretty funny. Do you think the filters at school still have the word warez in them? :olol:

Kind of off-topic but I've always wondered what kind of hardware my school used. They had something they called a "Sheriff Card" what it did was while the computer was on you could install games/download stuff pretty much whatever. But once the computer was reset it would go back to stock with nothing extra installed. I'm not exactly sure how it did that though.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Calavera wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:26 pm
Skynet wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:28 pm Fun fact, I got detention for going to a website that @Iced Coffee Man recommended to me in high school because it had a picture embedded in the site called 'warezreview.jpg' or some shit and the school filter caught it. I tried to argue it wasn't me "looking up Warez" but they didn't believe me
Lol that is pretty funny. Do you think the filters at school still have the word warez in them? :olol:
I'd hope not being that it happened over 20 years ago :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:44 am It's hard to have a good race when you drive straight on corners :olol:
Argh!!! Make way for Willy!
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 am
Skynet wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:44 am It's hard to have a good race when you drive straight on corners :olol:
Argh!!! Make way for Willy!
What does that have to do with Wacky Races on Dreamcast?

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Post by Iced Coffee Man »

Meanwhile I downloaded as much abandonware as I could on my floppy disks and they didn't do shit

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Oh my god, It's Iced coffee man!

Where have you been? Busy downloading warez I assume.
-Two Interactive.

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Yes and burning up the countryside

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Iced Coffee Man wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:24 am
Meanwhile I downloaded as much abandonware as I could on my floppy disks and they didn't do shit
The fuckers!
Iced Coffee Man wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:56 am Yes and burning up the countryside
Unlike @silvercliff who is just burning down Foodland

Iced Coffee Man
Global Mod

Skynet wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:00 pm
Iced Coffee Man wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:24 am
The fuckers!
Iced Coffee Man wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:56 am Yes and burning up the countryside
Unlike @silvercliff who is just burning down Foodland
He is the biggest pyro menace in the area

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I got suspended for 3 days for literally nothing. In Digital Media class I was on the website of a local business that my friends dad owned. I was editing the page offline to make it say stupid stuff like "Welcome to Chad's Doobie Hut" lol. Just silly shit. The teacher comes up behind me all like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I said nothing and she said to go to the office. So when I got up I unplugged the computer cause I didn't want them to see the shit about doobies I was writing.

That pissed them off so much. The principal said "You think you're pretty slick pulling the power cord so we can't readily see what you were doing" I was doing nothing against the rules. I was just messing around. I got suspended for 3 days over that. I really didn't care, to me it was just 3 days off. And it happened to where to lined up with the weekend so I got 5 days in a row off. My girlfriend at the time was also in that class and I had her tell the teacher and everyone that since I had 5 days in a row off I went down to my uncles place in Florida. She said you could tell the teacher was fucking pissed when she heard that. That teacher just didn't like me for whatever reason. I didn't cause trouble in there she was just an asshole to me for no reason.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

That seems like an overreaction on their part