Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Post here when you buy computer/tech stuff

Post by melancholy »

Bought my wife a Kindle Fire just so she could take advantage of the Prime Reading feature. In exchange, I'm taking her old Galaxy Tab and put it on the nightstand so I can watch Twitch in bed at night with a bigger screen than my phone.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

My laptop (the source of all my money, and keeping my family from being homeless) is dying so I went to new egg and apparently thought I needed 64 gb of ram. I ordered a Dell M7510, it has a Intel Core i7-6820HQ, 64 gb of DDR4 ram, and I ordered a 2tb platter drive. I might have to downgrade to windows 7.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Well, you could use that overkill for a RAMdrive for smallish but important programs.

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Code-Red wrote:Well, you could use that overkill for a RAMdrive for smallish but important programs.
It was one of those times on NewEgg when something was strangly priced. It was only 100 dollars more expensive then the 16 gb model. For 100 more I figured why not.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

overkill?? NO amount of RAM is overkill!

I got 16 GB with my PC (4790K 2 years old) thinking it as overkill.. AHAHAHA no.. Now I can't live without it.. I use a PC with 8GB and its kind of like EWWWW!!!!!
But then again My PC boots faster than a monitor. (IE: I turn my PC on at the same time as my monitor, the PC is loaded by the time the monitor turns on and detects signal.)

So 64GB is what I'd call future proof!! for at least another 2 years.

although I'm probably not a fair metric as I run my DDR3 faster than most people know DDR4 even goes...
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Also.. I'm saving a spot right here for when Zen comes out, because I will be buying as soon as I can get my hands on it*...

*Assuming there's a gigabyte ITX board available...
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Martian Notifier Smart Watch

I've always wanted a smart watch, but I've hated the fact that they've been less like a watch and more like a tiny phone. Enter this awesome timepiece. It's a traditional analog watch with a small LCD screen at the bottom that does nothing but notifies you of alerts on your phone. You can set up custom vibrations depending on the type of alert and see a preview on the screen. But the rest of the time it just sits blank, making it look like just a normal analog watch. It's literally perfect for me and I'm in love with it after only wearing it for an hour.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote:Martian Notifier Smart Watch

I've always wanted a smart watch, but I've hated the fact that they've been less like a watch and more like a tiny phone. Enter this awesome timepiece. It's a traditional analog watch with a small LCD screen at the bottom that does nothing but notifies you of alerts on your phone. You can set up custom vibrations depending on the type of alert and see a preview on the screen. But the rest of the time it just sits blank, making it look like just a normal analog watch. It's literally perfect for me and I'm in love with it after only wearing it for an hour.
I would absolutely LOVE to have a smart watch, with my love of having a watch (I feel naked without one) and everyone I know thought I'd be the first to adopt smart watches, like I was with... well, Name a technology...

But smart watches are all killed by the same thing for me.. FUCKING BATTERIES!!
I had a Seiko from when I was 13 to when I was 26.. It had 2 battery changes.
A time piece that lasted HALF MY LIFE at that stage only needed me to worry about it 2 times in 13 years.. You give me a smart watch that can do that.. SOLD!!!

Having to worry about charging another device every few days is just fucking retarded to me, ESPECIALLY when there are devices already in existence that do the same task that you DON'T need to charge. so I don't get them.
I am currently using a Seiko automatic Divers watch (no batteries, uses kinetic energy from wearing that keeps it charged)

This thing is the REAL smart watch.. It keeps time! Tells me the Day! and date! and has a timer function!!
I have a Seiko Orange Monster (look it up.. It's looks are even better than its practicality)

When the world has an automatic Smart watch at a reasonable price (<$350) I'll be all on board.. But untill then, Smart watches are fucking stupid.

See, Smart phones.. GOOD. They'd do more than a normal mobile and still had the same problem (battery)
Smart watches.. BAD. They do more than a normal watch, but ADD a problem to the design of a watch..
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Ian, I couldn't agree with you more. That is the reason I waited this long to get a smart watch.

But see, that's the beauty of my Martian Notifier. It's a traditional analog watch AND a smart watch, both with different batteries. The smart function needs to charge about once a week, while the analog part doesn't charge, it just run on one of those cell batteries that last for years. So even if I forget to charge the thing, it still keeps going as just a normal watch.

And it only cost me $20, so it has that going for it too.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Well it gets credit for having 2 batteries, And the price was right!

buy 5 then just change them over when the battery is flat. ;)
-Two Interactive.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

I'll that that watch concept in a G-Shock thanks.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Is that this one? Looks like they're ~$44AU

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Skynet wrote:

Is that this one? Looks like they're ~$44AU
Yep, mine's white, though.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

If it was waterproof and still under $50.. I would buy 5 and ditch my Seiko.. :olol:
-Two Interactive.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

actually it does look like Casio make GShock watches with bluetooth.
http://world.g-shock.com/us/en/ble/

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

Built a gaming PC for my brother in law, does it count? (Made a couple little mistakes, but it's mostly bretty good.)

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Stormwatch wrote:(Made a couple little mistakes, but it's mostly bretty good.)
You buy an AMD GPU? :olol:

Stormwatch
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Stormwatch »

No, just had this little mismatch: a case with a USB 3.0 port and 2 fans, versus a motherboard without USB 3.0 support and only one case fan connector. So I have a fan and an USB port I can't use until I buy some adapters.

Here's the specs, maybe a little modest but the budget was rather tight: FX 8300, GTX 960 2GB, 8GB RAM, 1TB dark disk.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

- Sold a Dell XPS 8500 I picked up off Kijiji (and threw one of those 760's into) for $400.
- Picked up a "broken" Sapphire 295x2 for $270, giving it a thorough test right now - no issues so far. I think the guy who owned it didn't have an appropriate PSU. Going to throw that up for sale for $550 after I'm done.
- Picked up an Asus Maximus Gene III, i5 650, and 8GB of RAM for $120. I was going to throw a x3450 in it and put it into a nice Matx case to sell complete with the other two 760's, but the seller sent me a Pentuim G6950 instead. I'll just throw it on ebay, looks like they're selling for atleast $300 CAD.
- Bought 2x GTX 690's for $40, broken. One is physically damaged, missing caps from the edge of the PCB and around the core, and it's got a massive gouge - definitely not repairable. Other one looks mint, going to see if I can get it up and running using parts from the other card

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Bought a Steam Link for $20. I figured it would be decent enough for streaming into the game room since it's a wired connection. If it lags too much, I'm only out 20 bucks anyway.