Post every time you buy a new game, console, or accessory

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Post every time you buy a new game, console, or accessory

Post by Skynet »

The Witness (Steam)

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Bought the standard edition of Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance for $26, then turned around and sold my collectors edition for $140.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Road Rash 3 (Mega Drive)

I've also been buying back issues of Retro Gamer magazine, 10 in the past couple of months. Just got these two:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

reminds me to sel my old ones, aint exactly gonna be rereading em nowadays

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Wonder Boy In Monster World (Mega Drive)

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Wonder Boy In Monster World (Mega Drive)
A good choice

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yep, it's a good game.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers (Xbox)

Rallisport Challenge 2 (Xbox)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Retro Gamers a cool mag, they also do individual console specials like for the NES etc too. Think they have a new publisher etc since it originally launched and I think they are 150+ issues now so there's a big interest in retro gaming. Maybe because although graphically they aren't too good alot of old games have something that a ton of newer games lack. I mean games like Sonic, Mario et AL have universal appeal whilst newer games are much more niche. Plus you had tons of ports of popular franchises like Paperboy, Street Fighter II etc.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Outrun 2 (Xbox)

Eternal Ring (PS2)
Big Boss Man wrote:Think they have a new publisher etc since it originally launched and I think they are 150+ issues now so there's a big interest in retro gaming.
After about a year and a half their original publisher went bankrupt and the were bought by Imagine Publishing.

I've got a couple of the pre-Imagine issues. The covers of the Imagine ones are a lot nicer. Here are a few I have with cool covers:

And here are a few I want to get:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I think the older Retro Gamers came with cover mounted freebies like DVD-Rom of old games/old game remakes sometimes. I think for the price they charge which is like £4.99/$7(US)/$9(AU) they could include a cover mount DVD again, maybe with like interviews with old game developers/old games which have fell into the public domain or are freeware now etc. But yea, they have had some cool covers throughout it's history and still do. I also think that as the retro gaming scene has grown in size there's probably even a bigger market now for them to sell their magazine to. I wonder whether they have to pay out quite a bit on licensing fees for using the Sega/Nintendo etc logos and characters like Mario.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Desert Strike (Mega Drive)

Urban Strike (Mega Drive)

Afterburner 2 (Mega Drive)

The email address of the person I bought those games from had "catholic.tas.edu.au" at the end of it. Religious games!
Big Boss Man wrote:I think the older Retro Gamers came with cover mounted freebies like DVD-Rom of old games/old game remakes sometimes. I think for the price they charge which is like £4.99/$7(US)/$9(AU) they could include a cover mount DVD again, maybe with like interviews with old game developers/old games which have fell into the public domain or are freeware now etc.
The added cost of the disc + case probably isn't worth it. They could just put interviews & links to free stuff on their website.

The discs from the old Retro Gamers sell for $20 each on ebay.
Big Boss Man wrote:I wonder whether they have to pay out quite a bit on licensing fees for using the Sega/Nintendo etc logos and characters like Mario.
Don't think they would have to pay, as long as it doesn't look like it's a Nintendo/Sega etc. product it would fall under fair use.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:R-Type (Master System)
Used to love that game back in the day, decent port as well from what I can remember.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It is a good port and it has nice music as well.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (Game Boy)

International Karate 2000 (Game Boy Colour)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man wrote:I think the older Retro Gamers came with cover mounted freebies like DVD-Rom of old games/old game remakes sometimes. I think for the price they charge which is like £4.99/$7(US)/$9(AU) they could include a cover mount DVD again, maybe with like interviews with old game developers/old games which have fell into the public domain or are freeware now etc.
The added cost of the disc + case probably isn't worth it. They could just put interviews & links to free stuff on their website.

The discs from the old Retro Gamers sell for $20 each on ebay.
Big Boss Man wrote:I wonder whether they have to pay out quite a bit on licensing fees for using the Sega/Nintendo etc logos and characters like Mario.
Don't think they would have to pay, as long as it doesn't look like it's a Nintendo/Sega etc. product it would fall under fair use.[/quote]

Yea although you used to get the 3rd party game mags put cover mounted DVDs with the magazine's so it wouldn't cost too much to get some discs pressed and put them in cardboard or plastic sleeves.

Seems likely fair use would cover it. Although say someone wrote a book about Nintendo and included Mario et AL on the cover and used lots of game screenshots etc I'm sure Nintendo would be all over it. Unless RG have a deal where they use Nintendo etc images as a way to help promote their product then it's a mutually beneficial type scenario. Because I don't think Mario, Sonic even something like the Atari ET game fall into the public domain. Speaking of which they need to do a cover feature of the greatest video game of all time ET~! ;)

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Wonder Boy (Master System)

Laser Ghost (Master System)

Astro Warrior/Pit Pot (Master System)

The Ninja (Master System)

GP Rider (Master System)

World Grand Prix (Master System)

Columns (Master System)

Great Golf (Master System)

Super Tennis (Master System)

Got these from the same person on ebay that I got Desert Strike/Urban Strike/AB2. With postage they ended up being $6 a game and they are all in boxes with Wonder Boy & Great Golf having the manual. Wonder Boy & Laser Ghost go for around $25 each on ebay and GP Rider $20 so it's not bad value, even though I don't really care about Great Golf or Super Tennis although I didn't mind them when I rented them back in the day.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Metriod Zero Mission - Wii U VC
I can't get no...

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Geometry Wars 3 (Steam)
The current Humble Staff Pick with Knight Squad and Indigo Prophecy (Steam)

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote:Wonder Boy (Master System)

You got the master system to play it on ;)...
Tell me where you live! I wanna play wonder boy!!
I just wanna play wonder boy!! it's an awesome game... And Skynet, IcedCoffeeMan and Silvercliff will all vouch that I won't murder you!! (aside from the ones that I murdered)

TBH.. I don't really want to play the game.. I just miss the music from the first few levels.. AND NO, WATCHING ON YOUTUBE IS NOT THE SAME!!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.