The Super Mario Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Super Mario Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

And Luigi!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Super Mario Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

My first thought.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Why does that weird city give me so much of a Sonic Adventure vibe?

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:Why does that weird city give me so much of a Sonic Adventure vibe?
I said that to a mate on Friday. It gave me flashbacks of Sonic Adventure straight away.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Download:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Rumor: Super Mario back catalog and several other Mario titles coming to Switch in 2020

Super Mario to celebrate 35th anniversary with a bang.

Nintendo will celebrate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario in 2020 by re-releasing “most of” the series’ back catalog and several other Mario titles for Switch, according to VGC and Eurogamer reports.

According to the Eurogamer report, the back catalog titles include a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will add “an array of new levels,” plus remasters of Super Mario Galaxy and “a couple of other 3D Mario favorites.” Both reports claim a new entry in the Paper Mario series is also in the works.

According to the VGC report, a Super Mario 35th anniversary event was originally planned to take place at E3 2020 in June, which is now cancelled, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. The event would have also revealed new details regarding Nintendo’s partnership with Universal, including the “Super Nintendo World” theme park attractions and animated Super Mario movie.

Gematsu has heard similar reports, specifically in regards to Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, a new Paper Mario title, and high-definition remasters of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy.

When contacted by VGC, Nintendo said it “does not comment on rumor and speculation.”

Source: Gematsu

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

My wallet will cry if they release Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and Mario 3D World at the same time.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

They will probably spread them out over the year.

I'll buy them all, even Sunshine.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I will buy Sunshine if they do some improvements. Make a hint system on blue coin location, fix the wonky FLUDD controls, add motion control similar to Splatoon, make cutscenes skippable...lots of little things to improve the gameplay.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

More details emerge on Mario Switch remasters

VGC can now confirm that among the Mario titles set to appear on Switch are 1997’s Super Mario 64, 2002’s Super Mario Sunshine and 2007’s Super Mario Galaxy.

One person with knowledge of Nintendo’s plans said that the re-releases were being treated as a special anniversary collection of games, rather than standard digital ports.

Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020. That includes a Deluxe version of 2013’s Wii U game Super Mario 3D World, which will be bolstered with new content and levels.

The platform holder is also preparing to announce a new instalment in the Paper Mario series.

As first reported by Venturebeat, the new game is understood to return to the series’ RPG-roots, with a game closer to its N64 and GameCube installments, following criticism of its 3DS and Wii U entries.

Many 2D Mario games are already available on Nintendo Switch via the console’s Switch Online NES and SNES apps, and Nintendo plans to add to this library in the near future, VGC was told.

The Super Mario 35th Anniversary was originally due to be celebrated via a physical presence at this year’s E3, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

E3 2020 has been cancelled due to the virus outbreak and Nintendo could instead opt for a digital showcase around June, when its Mario showcase was originally due to take place at E3.

Approached for comment on Monday, Nintendo said it “does not comment on rumour and speculation.”

Nintendo last celebrated a milestone Mario anniversary with the series’ 30th anniversary in 2015.

The company commemorated the occasion with various events and merchandise, including two special edition 8-bit Mario Amiibos. Super Mario was licensed for products from Hot Wheels, Moschino, Trump cards and more.

Source: VGC

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The new Mario RPG rumor is definitely intriguing, and I wish that Nintendo would include Galaxy 2 in an anniversary collection

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That will suck if SMG2 isn't one of the remastered games.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:03 am That will suck if SMG2 isn't one of the remastered games.
Especially since it's a sequel in the truest sense, half of the remaster job should be done with upgrading the first one :dontknow" :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I'm getting less and less excited about this news. It sounds like they are just going to throw the ISO's in an emulator without any updates. If I have to shake my Switch to attack, or if they use the Shield controls and map the cursor to the analog, then I'm not interested.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Maybe SMG is the same as the one that came out on the Shield TV in China?

You would think Nintendo would treat their own games with some respect and release proper remasters, like they normally do, but dumping them all out within a similar time frame does make it sound like they could be emulated versions. They will adjust the controls though.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:34 am Maybe SMG is the same as the one that came out on the Shield TV in China?
Hence why I said if they use the Shield controls and map the cursor controls to the analog. A decent solution could be a hybrid setup: allowing button presses for spin, touchscreen cursor for handheld and traditional motion controls for Joycons when docked.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A bunch of N64/GC/Wii SDKs and other things have been leaked recently and that's apparently how we now have this port.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Oh shit...this changes everything. Mario ROM hacks will be vastly improved with this. I am super excited to try it out.