The Skateboarding Game Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Skateboarding Game Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Looks good, I'll wait for the Switch version or whenever the PC version dips below -50% off.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 am Looks good, I'll wait for the Switch version or whenever the PC version dips below -50% off.
I'd recommend it, it's a lot of fun.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 am
pixel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 am Looks good, I'll wait for the Switch version or whenever the PC version dips below -50% off.
Good to hear :osmile: I've only played a few hours of Tony Hawk games in my life, and have always wanted to play more of them. I blame my weirdo, overly Christian mindset as a teen that equated skater culture as an evil corrupting force.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 am
Bandit wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 am
Good to hear :osmile: I've only played a few hours of Tony Hawk games in my life, and have always wanted to play more of them. I blame my weirdo, overly Christian mindset as a teen that equated skater culture as an evil corrupting force.
Sadly I was just a wannabe skater in middle school that wasn't cool enough to be accepted by the local skating hooligans. :(

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I’ve played the remake on ps4 pro.
Where to start…
Oh yeah, This remaster is shit.

They’ve fucked with the scoring so the only tricks worth doing are grinds.
OH, you did a poorly landed kick flip? Here have 50 points. What’s that, you landed a 720 rocket air with a perfect landing? Oh, here you go 50 points!
So you say you did a short, mediocre nose grind and then jumped into a 50-50 with the whole trick lasting 2 seconds? Have 2,900 points.
What the actual fuck?

Why can I no get air? I’m travelling a million miles up a ramp and I’ll get maybe enough time to pull off one trick which renders kick and grab tricks completely useless.
In the real first game you’d get enough time to do a 540 Madonna, 4 kick flips, a tail grab and if you were lucky you could sneak a cheeky nose grab in before you landed.

In this, at full pelt you’re better of just doing a quick tail grab on your way to the next good grinding rail. Better yet, find a good rail and just go back and forth for the whole 2 minutes to get any score over 1000.

The first game now has manuals and the hold your hand balance meter that the inferior second game and later ones had.

So instead of watching all your sick one footed smith grinds and thinking your skater is starting to lean a little far you’re looking at a balance meter.

You do a beautiful 76,000 X 9 grind from one end of warehouse to the other, and then before you land in the bowl you attempt a small tail grab and fuck the whole thing.

But that’s ok, because you can just do the same grind again, without the tail grab and get your 76,000 X 9.
Well I assumed I was doing beautiful grinds, I was too busy looking at the balance meter to even know what grinds were actually happening.

On the plus side, the game looks very pretty. And I’ve always used grinds to get the best scores, then padded out the last 20 seconds with grab tricks (one of each for maximum points)

Such a big deal was made about the music.
And indeed when I saw the list, I was very happy.
Even better, I loved that I could turn off everything but the Ernies, Primus, goldfinger, Bad Religon and the dead Kennedys to make the ultimate Tony Hawk soundtrack!

FINALLY! You is in the first game!
I squeaked in excitement as bad religion came on as I was starting School for the first time in 10+ years!
But then we hit a little hiccup. I could have sworn the lyrics went “it’s the most beautiful place in the whole fucking world”
In fact, I KNOW that’s what the lyrics are. But perhaps I misheard it. I must have.
They made such a big deal about the music, SURELY they wouldn’t have changed a song…

But then when I was at the mall, and I’m genuinely liking the game and having fun, because mall is a grind heavy level and when you do get air you don’t need to land the tricks you can just go into another grind, the dead Kennedys came on.
“Got a big black stick, there’s six of us, babe so suck on my SLIDE WHISTLE” (it doesn't actually say slide whistle, I just made it less stupid)
I was so upset about what I was hearing, I didn’t even react.
I finished the level, camly pressed the home button, exited the game, ejected the disc and shut my ps4 down and Turned off the TV.

So that’s where Tony Hawk dies.

I can see if you like skating and skateboards and skateboarding and skateboarding related accessories, how you might like this game.

But I never did, skateboards are literally the worst form of transportation in the world. But the first game was FUN.
Sometimes frustratingly fun, but it was fun as someone who had zero interest in the scene, or anything to do with it.

This remaster is not as fun as the original and with the butchering of the 2 best songs the series has, what’s even the point of you’re not a SK8R Boi?
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Get your 386 ready.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

EA awkwardly marks Skate 2’s Xbox return by reminding that its servers are shutting down

The classic title was added to Xbox backwards compatibility this week

EA awkwardly marked the arrival of Skate 2 on Xbox backwards compatibility on Monday by reminding players that its online servers are shutting down in three weeks.

Skate 2 is one of 76 Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles that were added to the backward compatibility library for Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S on Monday.

EA’s official Skate twitter account acknowledged the news by retweeting Xbox’s tweet celebrating the newly added backwards compatible games.

However, it then immediately posted a follow-up tweet telling players that it would be turning off the game’s online servers soon.

“Additionally, we’re providing a heads up that on December 10, 2021, we will be turning off the Skate 2 online servers for PlayStation and Xbox,” it tweeted. “It’s not an easy decision and not something we take lightly.”

EA announced in June 2020 that it’s working on a fourth Skate game, then confirmed in January 2021 that it’s being developed at a new Vancouver-based studio called Full Circle.

The studio is headed up by former Xbox Live general manager Daniel McCulloch, who spent 15 years with Microsoft’s gaming business before departing in June 2020.

EA says Skate’s creative leadership, game director Deran Chung and series producer Chris Parry, were both central to the creation of the franchise and the development of the three original games, the last of which released in 2010.

Skate 2 was one of more than 70 games added to Xbox’s backwards compatibility library, along with the likes of the entire Max Payne and FEAR franchises, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Jedi Knight 2 and Red Dead Revolver.

Peggy Lo, compatibility program lead for Xbox, said the latest backward compatibility update will be the last one due to several constraints.

“While we continue to stay focused on preserving and enhancing the art form of games, we have reached the limit of our ability to bring new games to the catalogue from the past due to licensing, legal and technical constraints.”

Source: VGC

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

EA: Skate 4 launching soon, will support user-generated content

EA's new Skate game will support user-generated content, possibly similar to the park editor feature in previous Skate 3.

EA: Skate 4 launching soon, will support user-generated content

EA says its new Skate project will "launch soon," and that UGC, or user-generated content, will be at the very center of the new game. It's likely the title will have a park editor similar to Skate 3 that allows gamers to create and share their own unique and custom skate parks online.

The full quote from Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson can be found below, transcribed from the Q3'22 earnings call:
"We're not surprised by the industry's growth. As technology continues to improve, what we've noticed is just how powerful the social ecosystem born out of our games truly are. It's not just about ingesting entertainment the way that traditional scripted media or traditional broadcasts, this is about experiencing entertainment with your friends.

"I think that has been the fuel that has driven the growth in recent times. As part of that of course, the ability to create your own content and put it into that ecosystem has become a really valuable part of what our industry offers to our players and our fans that traditional media doesn't offer.

"It has been at the very center of the Sims for a long time, it's at the very center of modes like FIFA and Madden Ultimate Team, it's at the very center at the design of Skate which will be launching soon.

"This UGC content is really just an extension of the social interaction that I'm able to have with my friends in and around experiencing this entertainment. I believe that's going to be a really important part of our future."
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/84338/ea ... index.html

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Session: Skate Sim launches September 22

Currently in Early Access for Xbox One and PC.

Session: Skate Sim will leave Early Access and launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and Epic Games Store on September 22, publisher Nacon and developer crea-ture Studios announced.

The skateboarding simulator first launched in Early Access for PC via Steam on September 17, 2019, followed by Game Preview for Xbox One on June 9, 2020.

Here is an overview of the game, via Nacon:
Session invites players to dive into the genuine 1990s skateboarding way of life, when each stretch of pavement and each stairway was a great location for your favorite stunt. The game’s ultra-realistic physics bring the sensations of skateboarding to life, and the studio has even integrated ground-breaking gameplay, a first in a skateboarding game: the “True Stance Stick”, where each foot is independently managed using the two sticks. With a learning curve that is just as demanding as in real life, players have to practice how to control their board and pull off all the different stunts available in the game, from the simplest to the most complicated. The integrated editing tool lets each player immortalize their greatest achievements on video.
Source: Gematsu

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

My new game is called skate bored.
It's a slow paced environmental focused visual treat.

No tricks, just calmly skating your way through beautiful environments while classical music plays and the calm of your wheels coasting across the bitumen puts you in a zen mood.

You make your way through 5 environments (a park, a beach, a city street, a skate park and a bike track) while dealing with obstacles (old people on walking frames, dog owners with sticks, businessmen with briefcases full of pens, and cyclists) to take out the final boss which is a rival pro skater who thinks you have to do tricks and has a bunch of small pebbles to try and force you to Ollie.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Tony Hawk talks about it in this stream (02:26:25):

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

EA is set to reveal Skate 4 in July

Our sources have suggested that Skate 4 will be officially revealed by EA in July 2022!

Sources have suggested that Skate 4, or simply skate. will be revealed next month.

It’s understood that the game has been undergoing extensive playtesting these past few months with the title being much further along in development than people may have thought.

Leaked footage of the game that hit the internet in April of this year showed a very early look at where the game was at in its development cycle, or so we thought. Although the community assumed the footage was from around the same time it was leaked, it’s since been suggested from several sources that have played the game that the leaked footage was likely months old when it leaked.

It’s unclear what exactly EA will show off with skate. next month, but it’s believed that the game will finally show off in-game footage. It’s been suggested that skate content creators and journalists will have the opportunity to play and get hands-on with the game to give their impressions.

EA has already reported that it will release four unnamed titles during its Q4 FY23 period (January 1st 2023 – March 31st 2023). One of the titles will be a “Major IP”, of which could be skate. – Although sources couldn’t confirm this theory.

The news follows a disappointing rumor that hit the internet yesterday, in which professional skater Tony Hawk claimed that Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3 and 4 were cancelled due to Activision Blizzard absorbing Vicarious Visions.

Not much more information has been given on the skate. though with the last update being released in July 2021 with its “We’re Working On It” trailer.

Source: Try Hard Guides

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We told you we’re back, and we’re still working on it - but it’s time for you to see what we’ve been up to. It’s still early, but we want to get this right and that means we want you to be a part of it. Become a skate. insider at http://skate.game/insider for a chance to play, provide feedback and help shape the future of skate.