Nintendo General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Nintendo General Thread

Post by pixel »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Sega won the whole thing with a sequel to a quirky Dreamcast game that was obscure when it was brand new...

Castlevania and Pikmin 4 look like games I'd pick up cheap, but switch games never go cheap so I'll skip them or wait 20 years to emulate.

If I hadn't recently replayed Katamari Damacy games I'd say day one to play the remake.

There seemed to be a Lottt of remakes, all rendered useless by the ability to play the best ever version of Tetris.

Kirby and Blanc look fun, and I'll check more of them out.

Zelda.... Hmmmm seems like they've taken botw world and added sky islands. Cautiously optimistic about it instead of my usual recklessly pessimistic attitude on new things.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Game Boy!

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:24 pm Game Boy!

This announcement is ill-timed for me. I spent the last few weeks modding my GBC with a new shell and IPS screen, my GBA with a new shell (it has an SP 101 screen on it already), and my GameCube with a PicoBoot so I can use the Game Boy Player with the excellent GBI homebrew. I then bought a GB Everdrive (I already had a GBA Everdrive). So I was already set to play the entire generation of Game Boy games in the best quality possible.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Also, I am currently playing Metroid Prime and it is fucking fantastic. They have done some lighting overhauls that look amazing on my OLED. And they have Splatoon controls, so you can go full FPS with gyro aiming. Plus they added in narration, which is something apparently the European and Japanese versions already had but we never got. I was salty about the $40 cost, but so far it has been worth it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Playing GB and GBA on upgraded original hardware is still the best way to go. The games being added to NSO is still cool though.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Question for you Melancholy.
Can you just shove your GB everdrive into a GBA OR DS or do you need the specific GBA one?

I'm tempted to get a GBA with a nice new modded screen but want to play pretty much exclusively GB and GBC games, but the advance is just more comfortable to hold and play.

I may give up and subscribe to switch online plus expansion for the smaller cost and the super convenient factors though.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Putting an IPS screen in an original GBA was absolutely worth it and the scene gets better with each new screen kit. The newest screen mod doesn't require soldering:

ian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:38 pm Can you just shove your GB everdrive into a GBA OR DS or do you need the specific GBA one?
The GB X7 is compatible with the GBA and should be with the DS if it plays original GB games.

Krikzz says the X7 is supposed to work with anything that played original GB games. But the Everdrive's power draw can create issues with a GB Pocket. A GBA won't have that issue, but the batteries will go a little faster with a flash cart.

GBA mods are a bit of a blackhole: You can spend tons of time and dollerydoos on audio, screen and power mods. But I'd recommend the Cleanjuice battery mod because it counters any extra power draw from a flash cart and/or IPS screen.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I came here to post that Macho Nacho GBA video and it's already here :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:49 pm Putting an IPS screen in an original GBA was absolutely worth it and the scene gets better with each new screen kit. The newest screen mod doesn't require soldering:

ian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:38 pm Can you just shove your GB everdrive into a GBA OR DS or do you need the specific GBA one?
The GB X7 is compatible with the GBA and should be with the DS if it plays original GB games.

Krikzz says the X7 is supposed to work with anything that played original GB games. But the Everdrive's power draw can create issues with a GB Pocket. A GBA won't have that issue, but the batteries will go a little faster with a flash cart.

GBA mods is a bit of a blackhole: You can spend tons of time and dollerydoos on audio, screen and power mods. But I'd recommend the Cleanjuice battery mod because it counters any extra power draw from a flash cart and/or IPS screen.
Thanking you. But you mentioned a black hole.. Jesus there's a shitload of Gameboy options to the tune of a shitload of dollarydoos.

I think I might stick to emulating for the time being. I do want a variety of everdrives though, problem is the ones I want are either always sold out, or have the scalper tax and the fuck you Australia tax and the Nintendo tax added to the actual price.

Average everdrive = 98 dollarydoos with shipping, I'd buy at that price and feel it was a little bit steep but be happy... Add in all the taxes for the exact same fucking thing = 250+ dollarydoos!
They can go and get fucked if they think I'm paying that when emulation for 90% of games is at least 100% as good and can often be made better.
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

ian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:49 pm
pixel wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:49 pm Putting an IPS screen in an original GBA was absolutely worth it and the scene gets better with each new screen kit. The newest screen mod doesn't require soldering:

GBA mods is a bit of a blackhole: You can spend tons of time and dollerydoos on audio, screen and power mods. But I'd recommend the Cleanjuice battery mod because it counters any extra power draw from a flash cart and/or IPS screen.
Thanking you. But you mentioned a black hole.. Jesus there's a shitload of Gameboy options to the tune of a shitload of dollarydoos.

I think I might stick to emulating for the time being. I do want a variety of everdrives though, problem is the ones I want are either always sold out, or have the scalper tax and the fuck you Australia tax and the Nintendo tax added to the actual price.

Average everdrive = 98 dollarydoos with shipping, I'd buy at that price and feel it was a little bit steep but be happy... Add in all the taxes for the exact same fucking thing = 250+ dollarydoos!
They can go and get fucked if they think I'm paying that when emulation for 90% of games is at least 100% as good and can often be made better.
You don’t have to get the X7. I got the X3 because I knew I wouldn’t play enough GB to warrant $150 X7 flash cart. I think I paid $50 for my X3. And I paid like $50 for my IPS screen kits for my GBC and GBA. So $100 to get every single game on one cart with a killer screen on original hardware.

An even cheaper route is to just get a GBA flash cart. The GBA flash cart can play GB, GBC, and GBA ROMs all from the same cart. It obviously won’t work on old Game Boys, but if you just plan to play on a GBA or DS system, that would give you an all-in-one cart for an entire decade of handheld Nintendo games.

As for compatibility, all of these Everdrives detect as original carts. No matter what version you choose, they will all work in literally anything that can play a regular cart, minus Retrons because those consoles don’t actually play carts, they rip the ROM off the cart and emulate that.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:12 pm
ian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:49 pm

You don’t have to get the X7. I got the X3 because I knew I wouldn’t play enough GB to warrant $150 X7 flash cart. I think I paid $50 for my X3. And I paid like $50 for my IPS screen kits for my GBC and GBA. So $100 to get every single game on one cart with a killer screen on original hardware.
Agreed, I would get an X3 too.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Thanking you as well, Mel.

Sounds like I'll need just a GBA cart then since compatibility is perfect.

I'll have a look around since I'll be paying out the ass anyway I might just get another already modded GBA rather than finding my one and waiting for parts and then doing it myself.

If the difference is me spending $250 and doing it all myself or $270 and I'm ready to go I'll just hit fuck it and pay the small amount on top for the convenience.
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Another option you could do is buy a 2DS and mod it. Then you could use the system’s built-in Virtual Console and add your own GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, and even Game Gear games. Buy a cheap DS flash cart, and you basically could have the entire Nintendo pre-Switch handheld library on a single console.

And I specifically say first gen 2DS because despite how ugly it is, the control layout with the buttons raised high on the frame feels much better in your hands for classic handheld games.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I don't think I've ever even held a 2DS...
When I saw a friends it looked ugly but I've never had one in my own hands. I'll have to give it a try.

Edit:
I will not be buying a 2DS. here's a brief summary of the market.
Broken stick, missing all accessories, no charger, screen scratched to shithouse, untested = $50-100.
OR
Still sealed Pokemon/mario = $500-5000.

Seems no one who bought one to play took care of them. At least GBA's can still be had cheap and since it looks like I'll be taking the case and screen off it anyway, I might go down that road.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Another handheld option dropped a few weeks ago:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Well it's sorted! Leapfrog it is!
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

or is it a Sega thread fit? think its both but manly this one