Nintendo General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Nintendo General Thread

Post by ian »

Who cares. Break out the god damn whips and get me more games faster! And whip QA teams extra hard, and if they fuck up QA waterboard them so it doesn't happen again.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Nintendo Switch Sports Is, Predictably, Leading To Smashed TVs

Remember, folks, the Joy-Con wrist straps exist for a reason.

After over a decade, the Nintendo Sports series has returned with Switch Sports. The follow-up to 2006's Wii Sports, the newest sports simulation game from Nintendo comes with plenty of fan-favorite minigames such as bowling, tennis, and more. However, it also comes with a major problem long since forgotten: busted television screens.

Despite Nintendo Switch Sports releasing less than a week ago, players are already reporting television casualties resulting from accidentally flinging their Joy-Cons, according to Kotaku. While the lightweight controllers certainly pack less of a punch than the Wii's remote (which shattered more than a few screens with the help of Wii Sports back in the 2000s), the colorful contraptions have already proven they can be just as lethal--just watch Twitch streamer 63man play tennis.

Another Twitch streamer, Northernlion, also launched his Joy-Con at his television screen on stream while playing Switch Sports this past week. While neither of these instances are quite as dramatic (or hilarious) as the Wii Sports Home Shopping Network incident of 2009, you gotta admit they're still pretty amusing.

However, these TV-slaying-sprees aren't for a lack of Nintendo trying to curb the issue. Just like the Wii Remotes, the Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons come with wrist straps specifically designed to keep the controllers from becoming television-bound projectiles. If like so many you've been forgoing strapping in before playing your favorite motion control games, let this article be your friendly reminder to do so.

Regardless of its talent for bringing out player's more destructive tendencies, Nintendo Switch Sports is proving a solid success for the company. Reviewer Kurt Indovina scored the game 7/10 in his GameSpot review, writing that while Switch Sports might not be a particularly innovative entry in the series, it does do a good job of capturing its spirit. For tips on how to become a Switch Sports star, be sure to check out our beginner's guide.

Source: Gamespot

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A documentary on the making of Super Mario World, the launch of the Super Nintendo, and how the game perfected the concepts of the Super Mario series.
A nice, long video about a classic game. The best Mario game? Maybe.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hyper strikes, online clubs, and...tackling your own teammates?!

Watch the new Mario Strikers: Battle League Football trailer to see what chaos awaits you on the pitch!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Incredible Portal Demake Runs on Real N64 Hardware

The clearly very talented James Lambert is currently working on a Portal Demake for Nintendo 64. Not one of those modern fancy demakes that runs in emulation though, but one that would actually run on the real and very much original hardware. Not only that, but lovely Lambert has even shared a video from the latest build of this incredible project and well… it looks like Portal. It’s a welcome break from the fake demakes that are really just rendering filters and animation. This is playable.

OK, admittedly, it looks like Portal running on a Nintendo 64, with all the resolution, texture, and frame rate limitations that such a thing would entail. But I’ll be damned, it’s still really impressive and I have to wonder, what could we really make for older systems using modern development knowledge? I mean, this is obviously one example, but if you have more, please let me know.

What’s even cooler? You can download this demake yourself and try it. It’ll run in any modern Nintendo 64 emulator too, of course, so don’t worry about having to flash a cartridge or anything just to try it out. One thing that really amazes me though is that the N64 can actually cope with the portal rendering, it’s pretty cool stuff.

Portal Demake

What’s he gonna make next, a cake that isn’t a lie? Now that I’d pay to see! However, if you just want to download this demo, you can do so here.
source

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The year is 2002, and Randy Linden is hard at work porting Quake to a little handheld system called the Game Boy Advance. If that name rings a bell, Linden is a veteran game developer best known for the creation of the BLEEM emulator as well as the groundbreaking SNES port of Doom—the latter of which was considered impossible by id Software themselves. Given his prior experience, a GBA port of Quake seemed like a logical step in his career. This unreleased prototype we present to you today was recently discovered on a 256M Flash Card in Linden’s storage, and is certainly a far cry from anything else developed for the handheld.

That's our Rand!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Do you know how I can contact him?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:28 am Do you know how I can contact him?
After 20 years, I do!

https://twitter.com/RandalLinden

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

That son of a bitch. I thought we were friends from our DCEmu days, and it turns out he was doing some kind of secret port back then without telling any of us? He talked to us! He sent me Bleem stickers! I feel betrayed.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

In 2002 developer Randy Linden set himself a new challenge : Port Quake to the Nintendo Game Boy Advance. In this episode we take a look at how the impossible was achieved, but sadly never saw any commercial release.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »