Calavera's Voodoo5 5500 and PII 266 thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Calavera's Voodoo5 5500 and PII 266 thread

Post by Calavera »

I'm trying to test out a Voodoo5 5500 card. The computer I have is a M6TLC motherboard which claims to support Celeron Processors up to 500mhz.

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/biostar/M6TLC.htm

The board has jumper settings for up to 333mhz, I recently bought a Celeron 333mhz cpu for $4. When I plug it in it just says MMX CPU at 98mhz and freezes. Looking into this it seems I'd need to update the bios for it to support that CPU and I have no way to do that since I don't have a compatible CPU to boot the machine.

Figured I'd ask if anyone here happened to have an old Pentium 2 Slot 1 CPU laying around they'd want to sell.

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: This is a long shot but does anyone here has a Slot1 CPU laying around?

Post by ian »

I had a bunch of them given to me, about 4 or 5 of various speeds and types, but had to get rid of them all :ocry:
I will ask one of my friends next time I See him, he's got more old computers from rubbish raiding than all the tips in the world do combined.
will be a couple of weeks before we catch up again if you can wait.
He wouldn't ask for anything but postage cost.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote:I had a bunch of them given to me, about 4 or 5 of various speeds and types, but had to get rid of them all :ocry:
I will ask one of my friends next time I See him, he's got more old computers from rubbish raiding than all the tips in the world do combined.
will be a couple of weeks before we catch up again if you can wait.
He wouldn't ask for anything but postage cost.

I appreciate it, but the shipping from Australia would probably be more than if I just bought one off ebay. I've been looking on ebay but most of the ones I've found are 400mhz or higher. I finally found a 266mhz for about $12 shipped. Not a horrible price but still more than I really want to pay for such an outdated piece of hardware.

I suppose I'll buy it, it'll bring my total for the Voodoo5 up to about $20 but if I can sell it for $200 that is still pretty damn good. Also I've seen the old Slot 1 machine I'm using to test sell for $100. So after I sell the card I can just sell the whole machine to somebody wanting an old Dos game machine. I picked up a Soundblaster Vibra 16 ISA card at goodwill the other day for $3, so I'll stick that in there and it'll be good to play any old Dos games you'd want!

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

I think I've got a Slot 1, but it's a PIII 600. Give me a day and I'll see what bus it runs on, because I remember swapping a PII for a PIII way back in the day and the computer refused to boot.

Have you considered a slocket? I'm pretty sure they're still kicking around for cheap.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Code-Red wrote:I think I've got a Slot 1, but it's a PIII 600. Give me a day and I'll see what bus it runs on, because I remember swapping a PII for a PIII way back in the day and the computer refused to boot.

Have you considered a slocket? I'm pretty sure they're still kicking around for cheap.
I've seen some of those converters on Ebay, but most of them are more than the price of just buying a PII. I appreciate the offer, but the motherboard I'm using won't support a PII of any speed.

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/biostar/M6TLC.htm

On that site it claims to support a Celeron up to 500mhz but I don't see how it could. The fastest jumper setting are for 333mhz. And it apparently needs a bios update to even run the 333. Earlier today I bought the P2 266mhz I mentioned earlier for $12. If this one doesn't work then I'm out of ideas! If it works I'll just stick the 266 in and test out the Voodoo card then sell the computer with that CPU. I'm afraid if I try to update the bios on it I'll end up bricking it somehow. And honestly I don't think the Celeron 333mhz would be that much of an improvement over the P2 266mhz.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

My experience with the Celerons of that era were that they were absolute shit, you couldnt even come close to comparing them clock for clock with a Pentium. A friend had a Celeron pc that was much higher clocked than my Dell XPS R400 Pentium II (we both had the same Powercolor Radeon 7000 gpu) and he could barely play Quake II/Kingpin.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I got the P2 266 MHZ a few days ago but haven't messed with the computer much until today. Even though on the case someone wrote that it had98mb of ram, upon booting it I found it only had 32mb. So I checked my old computers and found some ram and now it has 384mb ram. The HD had Windows ME installed. I put Windows XP on it as it met the minimum requirements and it runs pretty good. I'm putting the VooDoo drivers on now.

Also I'm writing this post from that computer right now. I'm using K-Melon and it works pretty good. Amazing what an old 266mhz PII can do.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Calavera's Voodoo5 5500 and PII 266 thread

Post by Calavera »

So far the only game I've tested it Powerslide and it runs full speed with no problems. Although it still looks ok, it is really amazing to think at one time how amazing those graphics were. Also that Soundblaster 16 VIBRA ISA card I picked up for $2.99 also works perfectly.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

nice!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Fuck XP, put 98SE on that badboy!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Code-Red wrote:Fuck XP, put 98SE on that badboy!
Yesterday, I did just that! I was recently watching a video on "can you still use Windows 98 as your main os" It was a pretty bullshit video. He said things like "facebook won't work, it took 10 minutes just to partially load" and "youtube won't work, it loads but won't play any videos"

Facebook works perfectly! Of course you can't just go to facebook.com, you have to use the mobile version m.facebook.com. Youtube also works, although I admit it doesn't on my 266mhz. The videos load but you just get a still image as 266mhz isn't enough for youtube video playback. But that is a limitation of the CPU not the OS.

Flash also works pretty good, Homestarrunner.com plays at full speed! :heyhey:

I should probably make this my startup sound

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I came across an old graphics card recently but it had no normal monitor output. Will take a pic later to show what I'm talking about. I imagine it still outputs through the PCs normal monitor port. Also I don't have the CD/floppy to install it so I guess it's plug and play.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote:I came across an old graphics card recently but it had no normal monitor output. Will take a pic later to show what I'm talking about. I imagine it still outputs through the PCs normal monitor port. Also I don't have the CD/floppy to install it so I guess it's plug and play.
Sounds odd, I'm interested to see what you are talking about.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I'll have to remember where I put it and take some pics.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Does it have a DMS-59 port? It looks like a DVI port except it's all pins and doesn't have that tiny bar.

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

Could be a Mac card with one of their proprietary rounded DVI slots too.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it has two DMS-59 ports on it, S-video and VGA. It's also quite slimline

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »