Viceland's Dark Side of the Ring documentary series

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Viceland's Dark Side of the Ring documentary series

Post by Bandit »

Meltzer said last night Vice is making a new wrestling documentary series like 30 for 30 all about wrestling. He will be heavily featured on it as the wrestling expert. The first season will have 10 shows and debut October 19th with the first episode on Gino Hernandez. Dave said it will have a big revelation but didn't go into details. So he may mean finally revealing Paul Boesch was his biological father or possibly finding truth to the rumors he was actually murdered. So it sounds awesome.

Other episodes will be on Bruiser Brody, early days of women's wrestling (ie the Moolah scandal), the Von Erichs, and more.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Vice to debut wrestling documentary series October 19th

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sounds good.

Hopefully it airs on SBS Viceland here in Australia not long after October 19th.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He said Vice so it wasn't clear if he meant the website or youtube upload (like that CZW show they did never aired on television) or the Viceland network.

If they meant Viceland I guess Dave will be smoking weed during his interviews, since they have a rule Marijuana must be shown or mentioned every 5 minutes.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

On the few occasions I've turned it to Viceland, they either have a show on about dope, white rappers eating stuff or gay people travelling/doing things.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Maybe they'll change up the formula and have gay guys smoking weed.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Or have Gay white rappers smoking weed and doing dope whilst travelling.

But yea those docs sound interesting. Gino's story will be interesting. Gary Hart seemed really broke up about his passing. I think it could have been something else but didn't he OD. The early years for Woman's wrestling could make WWE look real bad for how they kept with Moolah all those years. But they knew how she got down so its on them.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Gary was broken up because he thought of him like a little brother he needed to protect because he saw the way his life was headed and no one but him was trying to do anything to save him. He didn't think he was murdered. Kevin Von Erich is the only one I've heard say he believes he was definitely murdered. It's true that he owed the mob money on gambling and cocaine. But if they were going to kill him, giving a huge cocaine addict with a high drug tolerance enough cocaine to kill them would be very expensive. They could just shoot him and dump him in a landfill like they usually do when they murder for a lot cheaper.

I guess it's possible since he was high profile they could have wanted to do this because they thought maybe the cops would investigate harder than the average guy caught up with the mob who goes "missing". But it's more likely he just did too much cocaine and had a heart attack on his own.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea I remember Gary Hart saying that now on the WCCW doc. If they found Gino with like a gunshot wound (to make it look like a "suicide" type scenario) then yea I'd think it was a mob hit, definitely. Unless he was ripping them off and they told him to do all the blow in front of them. He was found with a considerable amount of cocaine in his stomach, so that could be a likely scenario. So they made it look like a OD but it was intentional on their part.

Found this with Jake talking about Gino

Tully

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

From the new Observer
The Vice documentary on Bruiser Brody debuted over the weekend in Chicago. Unfortunately I had an interview scheduled for an undisclosed HBO Canada documentary and missed it. There will be six documentaries airing in early 2019 on Vice, Brody, Gino Hernandez, The Montreal Screw Job, The Von Erichs, Moolah and Chris Benoit I believe. The Hernandez piece will probably be amazing. People were raving to me about the Brody doc and hopefully I’ll get to see it soon
The Canada one might be about the Harts, which if done like the Andre one would be great but sadder.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Hopefully we'll get them here too as we have Vice. But Montreal they could have replaced with another topic since that's been covered ad nauseam.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It's finally airing starting April 10th at 9 pm. The stories are on Brody, Gino Hernandez, Montreal Screwjob, Fabulous Moolah, The Von Erichs, and Miss Elizabeth.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Interesting, thanks. Hopefully we'll get them here. The Von Erichs, Brusier and Montreal have been covered already, but there might be a new take on the stories so there's that. I'm assuming WWE won't participate in the Moolah one considering her backstory etc.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Trailer Looks really good. I'll check them all out but the Gino Hernandez doc is of most interest since not much is really known about the circumstances of his passing.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Just watched the Brody episode. Fucking sad.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It was very good. It wasn't the "Randy was evil" hit piece I was expecting, they were very fair to him and even fair to Luger. So these are very well done by fans who care and don't just want to try to stir up #metoo moments in wrestling by looking at behavior in a 2019 lense. They talked about Randy's faults in great detail but didn't make him cartoonishly evil. They even point out in 1996 he went out of his way to get Liz double the money from WCW than was originally offered, which is weird for an ex-husband that wasn't even crazy about her being there to do. And they were sympathetic to Lex. Although they had people (rightfully) trash him for the domestic abuse incident, Bischoff just paints Liz's death as Lex's life spiraled out of control on drugs and he accidentally took Liz with him. Which was different than the way WWE Confidential painted him, which is most people's last memory of Lex.

And yeah, Linda's pictures were hilarious. She made sure to find the best one of her from the height of her attractiveness. And they had candid family photos of Randy from Lanny where Randy is looking like a regular guy and not Macho Man which were interesting. He's just hanging out in normal clothes not doing the Macho Man Face.

So I give this (and the Brody one) a big thumbs up.

ETA One thing I thought of they didn't talk about. Liz married a wealthy lawyer a few years after the divorce and she suddenly left him to go back to wrestling even though her career is portrayed as if she was miserable her entire career with Randy. That would be interesting to explore. Why did she leave a good life to go back to one she hated? Was it to get back at Randy by being able to flaunt her independence at him, or did she like the business more than people think?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Viceland's Dark Side of the Ring documentary series

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Viceland's Dark Side of the Ring documentary series

Post by Bandit »

I checked the viceland.com website. You have to have a US cable subscription to watch the shows online. So it looks like those outside of the US will have to torrent them. The producer said they will be shown on international Viceland stations towards the end of the year. So if there is an Australian or British Viceland you will have to wait.