The Emulation Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: The Emulation Thread

Post by Hawq »

Cemu 1.22.4
Vulkan: Tweaked buffer cache implementation and overhauled the uniform register cache
This should drastically reduce flickering in Xenoblade Chronicles X
May also resolve random flickering that could occur in any game

OpenGL/Vulkan: The shader compiler will now try to predict uniform register array sizes instead of assuming the maximum size
Boosts performance in games which heavily rely on dynamic access (e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles X)

Vulkan: Better support for large uniforms on Nvidia GPUs
Fixes broken models in Twilight Princess

coreinit: Always mount the virtual sdcard to ‘/vol/external01’ to match actual Wii U behavior
Fixes a crash in the GTA 3 homebrew port

coreinit: The filesystem implementation now supports setting a working directory (FSChangeDir, FSGetCwd)
This fixes various compatibility issues with recent homebrew

GX2: Corrected the index limit in GX2DrawIndexedImmediateEx() which was much lower than it should be (around 500 instead of ~32K)
Fixes rendering in the GTA 3 homebrew port

debugger: Various smaller visual improvements and bug fixes

Note:
(#xx) refers to resolved bug tracker issues. See http://bugs.cemu.info/projects/cemu/
homepage no vid talking about the changes yet so just put em here

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Cemu v1.22.5c
The changes: In summary: - Performance improvements - Compatibility improvements - Graphic fixes In details:

internal: Reverted to an older version of std::filesystem due to encountering unexpected side-effects after updating it for .5b public release

# New in 1.22.5b:
GX2: Fixed a regression which was introduced by the texture readback optimization

# New in 1.22.5:
coreinit: Filesystem operations on directories (mainly iterating files) are now done asynchronously and will no longer stall the CPU thread
This is part of an ongoing rework to remove all potential stalls from the main CPU emulation thread since some games do not handle micro stutters well

coreinit: Prefer Cemu’s erreula implementation over the one shipped with the game
Unlike the native implementation ours doesn’t require dumped system files,
and thus affected games (e.g. Epic Mickey 2) can be played without a full system dump

nn_save: Implemented SAVERename()
Used by Angry Birds Triology, fixes a softlock at the title screen

GX2: Fixed a length mismatch when processing IT_SET_LOOP_CONST PM4 commands
This resolves softlocks in Paper Mario Color Splash

GX2: Optimized texture readback
Improves performance in BotW since it heavily relies on texture readback.
Also fixes a performance regression introduced in Cemu 1.21.3 (#459)

GX2: Fixed a bug in the texture decoder for micro-tiled mip slices
This fixes corrupted textures in Xenoblade Chronicles X and possibly other games

GX2: Optimized GX2WaitTimeStamp() to no longer use busy looping
This fixes Nano Assault Neo softlocking on boot due to starving lower priority CPU threads

nn_olv: Stubbed UploadPostDataByPostApp()
This avoids a softlock in Wind Waker HD when accessing the tingle bottle feature

Note:
(#xx) refers to resolved bug tracker issues. See http://bugs.cemu.info/projects/cemu/

Note that high definition graphics packs are available here . They allow, among other things, to increase the native resolution of the games because unlike Dolphin and because the machine is technically different, it is not possible for Cemu to increase the definition other than by this method.
Conversely, SD packs (standard and / or low definitions) are available on this link and allow some PCs lacking performance to launch games in 60 FPS.
http://cemu.info/

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

In 1997 developer Icer Addis released NESticle, a Freeware NES emulator that changed NES emulation forever. In this episode we take a look at the early days of NES emulation and the features NESticle brought to emulation and why its one of the most important releases ever.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'm very nostalgic for those early emulator days. My dad helped me buy a (highly illegal) CD-R filled with NES and SNES ROMs off of eBay, and had lots of fun playing them on our old graphite iMac DV SE with a Gravis Gamepad Pro :olol:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Cemu v1.22.6c
The changes: In summary: - Compatibility improvements - Lots of crash and bug fixes In details:

# New in 1.22.6c:
general: Made command line parameter parsing more robust
Short name option for fullscreen (-f) should work again

# New in 1.22.6b:
GX2: Fixed a graphic regression that was introduced by the fetch shader rewrite

# New in 1.22.6:
coreinit: More potential fixes for a mystery crash related to file operations and callbacks
The crash can most often be observed when loading saves in BotW but also can happen randomly during gameplay

coreinit: Avoid a race condition in thread deallocators
Fixes random crashes in various games

coreinit: Added a safeguard to prevent a state corruption when a game uses MPTaskQ improperly
Fixes Tokyo Mirage Sessions freezing or crashing shortly after launch (#472)

coreinit: Fixed a race condition in spinlock implementation
Improves stability of Tokyo Mirage Sessions and likely some other games

coreinit: Fixed OSScreenClearBufferEx() clearing a much larger data area than it should
This change should fix flickering and random crashes due to memory corruption in some homebrew titles

coreinit: Fixed an issue where the priority of default core threads was too high, leading to CPU starvation of other threads
Fixes random softlocks in Yoshi’s Woolly World

GX2: Reworked GX2 event queue implementation to match behavior of actual console more closely
This resolves random softlocks in games that rely on GX2 events

GX2: Reworked fetch shader generation (GX2InitFetchShaderEx) to match behavior of actual console more closely
Improves compatibility with games that are picky about correct shader size. E.g. The Fall is now playable and no longer crashes on boot
Shader caches and graphic packs are not affected by this change

OpenGL/Vulkan: Fixed generation of invalid shader code when accessing integer texture samplers with certain parameters
Fixes an issue where the game screen was invisible in Virtual Console DS titles

debugging: wxWidgets errors are now written to log.txt instead of showing an error message box
debugging: Added –force-interpreter command line parameter to always force interpreter regardless of any game profile settings

Note:

Also for anyone looking to do Xbox Xemu has had an update(listed as v0.5.0 (2021/02/13)) but no word on whats new is listed so probably a minor update
not sure if the main site has the incrememtal updates listed so grab from http://www.emu-france.com/news/66347-co ... 021-02-13/

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

pixel wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:17 am I'm very nostalgic for those early emulator days. My dad helped me buy a (highly illegal) CD-R filled with NES and SNES ROMs off of eBay, and had lots of fun playing them on our old graphite iMac DV SE with a Gravis Gamepad Pro :olol:
I can still remember the first rom site I found. Plasticman's Emulation Zone. It was awesome! I spent so much time downloading games one by one on dial-up. The best NES emulator from back in the day imo was NesterDC. The main reason being that I could play NES games right on my TV just like the real thing! The one drawback when I hooked my DC up with the VGA box was that it made emulation on the DC pointless.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Calavera wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 pm
pixel wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:17 am I'm very nostalgic for those early emulator days. My dad helped me buy a (highly illegal) CD-R filled with NES and SNES ROMs off of eBay, and had lots of fun playing them on our old graphite iMac DV SE with a Gravis Gamepad Pro :olol:
I can still remember the first rom site I found. Plasticman's Emulation Zone. It was awesome! I spent so much time downloading games one by one on dial-up. The best NES emulator from back in the day imo was NesterDC. The main reason being that I could play NES games right on my TV just like the real thing! The one drawback when I hooked my DC up with the VGA box was that it made emulation on the DC pointless.
My first successful CD-R burn was NesterDC, that was an exciting summer for me. I remember grabbing everyone in the house to come and see Mario running on my Dreamcast :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The Story of the Connectix Virtual Game Station and how it was capable on running full speed PlayStation 1 emulation on a Power PC based G3 Mac computer in 1999.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I have a suspicion that my dad might still have his physical copy of Virtual Game Station. It meant hours of Rage Racer without hogging a TV "thumbsup

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Genesis Plus GX Wide now available for Libretro/RetroArch!

Only works on Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games at the moment, no Sega CD/Mega CD.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

It'll be nice for the Sonic titles, I'm having more fun when I can see more of what's coming up even when I have the levels memorized

There's a web-based patcher for Sonic 1 over on Github.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Cemu v1.22.8
general: Fixed a recent regression where -mlc command line parameter would be parsed incorrectly

UI: Display a scrollbar if a graphic pack has more options than can fit into the window

HLE: Prevent Wind Waker HD from softlocking when using single-core recompiler

HLE: Prevent dynamic resolution scaling in Super Mario 3D World
This fixes a long standing issue where mirror effects in Level 1-5 would
cause the texture cache to be flooded, leading to stutter and sometimes even crashes if
not enough VRAM is available

coreinit: Optimized niche cases in Cafe OS synchronization primitives
This should improve performance in Paper Mario Color Splash when using multicore recompiler
The issue has not been entirely solved yet and further improvements are planned

Vulkan: Fixed a crash that could occur when a game supplied invalid texture sampler parameters
Resolves a crash in Super Meat Boy (#479)

GX2: Corrected a bug in the calculation of texture pitch for the tiling aperature
Fixes corrupted textures in Super Meat Boy (#479)

GX2: Improved robustness of OSScreen API and made it compatible with GX2
Previously drawing any frames with GX2 would disable OSScreen output permanently
Required by some homebrew applications which mix OSScreen and GX2

coreinit: Implemented API MEMRecordStateForFrmHeap, MEMFreeByStateToFrmHeap
Used by WUT homebrew

Note:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So how playable is Sonic 06 in Xenia? I’m aware how ‘playable’ Sonic 06 is on actual hardware, I’m more wondering if emulation fixes the horrendous load times of the consoles.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I want to know when we can start using xlink with it

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:42 am I’m aware how ‘playable’ Sonic 06 is on actual hardware [...]
:olol:

Loading times seem to be better, but I havent confirmed it myself:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin