The World Class Championship Wrestling thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

The World Class Championship Wrestling thread

Post by Bandit »

I'm watching WCCW from the point David returned to Texas in July 1982.

7/3/82 Episode

-King Kong Bundy & Bugsy McGraw vs Raul Castro & Sal Oliveras
Bundy still had hair so he looks like a giant 10 year old. Shaving his head was the best idea he ever had because he has such a baby-face. McGraw looks like somebody's drunk uncle. No word on if Raul Castro is the Cuban politician Raul Castro under a mask. The match sucks but the crowd is so into it, more than that Roman Reigns match last night. Bugsy does a crappy back breaker as a finish they put over as devastating. After the match Bundy comes in and beats down the jobbers some more. Bugsy stops him and they get in a big argument, setting the seeds for Bugsy to turn babyface, which the crowd wants.

Brian Adidas vs "Wild" Bill Irwin
He was called Adidas instead of Adias when WCCW was bigger, so I guess they got a letter from the shoe company once they expanded out of Dallas. The announcers hype how Adidas is Kerry's BFF (which he really was) and how he was *almost* as good of a high school athlete. It's kind of funny how they put over high school athletics on the show because nobody cares except Al Bundy. They say Adidas has only been pro for a month. In that case he's pretty good. It's a okay match. Irwin made him look good to keep Kerry happy. Adidas goes for a bodyslam but Irwin blocks it and gets a small package. The announcers sell Adidas as a future star who made a rookie mistake. Story telling that works, how bout that?

Kerry Von Erich vs "Captain" Frank Dusek
Dusek has a hairy back but Fritz somehow resisted doing an angle where he has his friend shave it. Kerry is over like crazy. Kerry does a back body drop and a little shuffle dance that makes the ladies horny af. They just stand there and look at each other and get a pop, which is insane. Nobody alive can get that but The Rock. They cut to a toddler in the crowd marking out for Kerry. These two are doing next to nothing and the crowd is going crazy, just because the crowd loves Kerry so much. We get only the second bump of the match from a drop kick. Kerry does his shuffle dance again and there's not a dry vagina in the house. Dusek makes a minor comeback but Kerry hits a sunset flip for the win. These two barely did anything and it didn't matter to the crowd. Nice work if you can get it. Some guys on an indie somewhere right now are crippling each other while people ignore them to look at their phones, and this entire match had less than 10 bumps and it was more over than anything on Wrestlemania. Crazy.

Promo: Bugsy McGraw and GARY HART~!
They're in Gary Hart's office, which is probably really Fritz's. I like the idea of a heel manager having a nice office, it makes Gary look like a crime boss. Bugsy is ranting to Bill Mercer about being fed up with KKB. Gary comes in and tells him he needs to keep his opinions to himself when the media is around. He tells Bugsy to leave and then low key threatens Mercer to make sure he shows this in a positive light. Gary Hart is tremendous, he gives such an understated performance, which doesn't happen often in wrestling. Wrestlers are over the top and obvious, Gary is like a character in a good movie.

Fritz Von Erich vs King Kong Bundy
This just happened and they broke into the Sportatorium show to air this Texas Stadium match. It's a famous match I'm sure everyone has seen. What's great is the pre-match hype from the announcers. They sell it exactly like UFC does when a legend is having a retirement match so it's tremendous. Fritz is over like the kids even though he's old, fat and balding. The match story is Fritz will take a beating to put the Iron Claw on Bundy. But that Bundy is too tough to submit to it. So while it's good they don't sell Fritz like the equal of KKB, Fritz was a real mark for insisting he win his last match. Think of the heat Bundy would have if he ruined Fritz's big night. They could have run KKB versus the kids for years and sold out everywhere.

Fritz post-match Promo
The five brothers come out to celebrate with their parents. Fritz calls the kids over and says "Each of these five boys are going to be world heavyweight champions. I've dedicated my life to it."

They end the show hyping that Kerry will get a title shot against Harley Race on August 15th.

Final thoughts: the star power is ridiculous. You won't confuse the matches with New Japan, but it didn't matter at all to the fans. They are so happy to be there live. Compare that to the apathy of Raw's crowd last night. WWE needs to stop hiring douchebags who worked on The Bachelor and hire people who understand this show. Of course in 2019 you can't do matches like this, but even the jobbers were over like stars. They need to figure out why.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The World Class Championship Wrestling thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm Dusek has a hairy back but Fritz somehow resisted doing an angle where he has his friend shave it.
Fritz leaving money on the table.

Guys with hairy backs and big guts do make good enhancement talent though. Makes them look different from the main stars.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Cool idea for a topic.

I watched the first episode of World Class available on the Network a few days ago (I think it's labelled as episode 2) which is here:

http://network.wwe.com/video/v1698673383

I think the card was:

Tom Shaft v Carlos Zapata
Big Daddy Bundy v (forgot who it was :olol:)
The Great Kabuki (with Gary Hart~!) v (forgot who it was :olol:)
Kerry & Kevin Von Erich v Arman Hussein & Tim Brooks (non-title match)

This website has a lot of match results here, some date way back too to the 1950's

http://wccwmemories.blogspot.com/p/tabl ... tents.html

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

7/10/82

Al Madrill vs "Captain" Frank Dusek
Not much of a match, really just to hype up Madrill getting a Texas Title shot next week. Dusek bullies referee David Manning a bunch. In the end Dusek bumps Manning and then Madrill dropkicks Dusek over the top rope. People think Madrill is DQ'ed, but Manning DQ's Dusek for hitting him. They argue and Manning fires up at Dusek as the fans go crazy. The referee was more over than world champion Seth Rollins was Monday. Think about that.

The Superfly vs Raul Castro
Very strange they call Ray Candy under a mask Superfly. Jimmy Snuka was probably the biggest wrestling star in America at this time. And a big fat guy doesn't fit with the name. Maybe if he was a big fat drug dealer like Vic Grimes that week he had a WWF job. Bugsy McGraw comes out at goofs around with fans during the match. Superfly wins with a fat guy splash off the second rope. It sucks.

Gary Hart promo
They show footage filmed earlier in the day Gary Hart exiting his private jet with his heel stable allegedly inside (they're never shown.) Hart is ambushed by TV news reporters and Mercer who want to know what's going on with the tension between Bugsy McGraw and King Kong Bundy. Hart is angry the reporters want private information and refuses to answer. They also want to know where he found Superfly and he says that's none of their business either. He probably spotted Ray Candy at a buffet, if I had to take a guess.

Bugsy McGraw promo
Mercer says McGraw asked to be met at a Water Park because he doesn't train in a gym, he trains at amusement parks. Bugsy cuts a promo on how he only trains in the water because he's studied Greek history and knows the Greek Gods believed the water gave power to warriors. A hot girl who looks like a young Marisa Tomei is standing behind him looking completely confused by what he's saying which is funny. He then tells Mercer he needs to understand the power of water, so he grabs him, while Mercer is in a suit and tie, and throws him in the water and down the big water slide. Mercer acts like he's going to die the whole way down as McGraw follows him. After they finish the ride Mercer cuts an enraged promo on McGraw. That was entertaining.

Interview with David Manning
Manning explains the tag titles match will have a penalty box like hockey. If a wrestler cheats he will be locked in a cage for two minutes. And if Gary Hart tries to come out he will spend the entire match in the cage.

Kevin & Kerry Von Erich vs The Great Kabuki & The Magic Dragon
No, not Puff The Magic Dragon. He does the worst karate battle cries ever. He sounds like he's doing a bad Prince impression. The announcers put over how Kerry beat Ken Patera in St. Louis the night before taking this tag title match. Magic Dragon just flat out sucks, he does wacky karate and he has a dad bod. I looked at Wikipedia and it says he trained Kenta Kobashi, one of the greatest wrestlers ever. WTF?

Kabuki tags in and it gets better, he's stiffing Kerry with his shots. Kevin tags in and Kabuki stiffs him with kicks. But if Kabuki is throwing worked strikes then he's the greatest ever because they look and sound real. Kevin goes in the penalty box for illegally tagging in Kerry. He comes back and does another illegal tag to be sent back. Kabuki puts a submission hold on Kerry's armpit for some reason. Kerry finally makes a legal tag to Kevin and he runs wild. Later on Kerry gets tagged again and is beaten down for minutes. Kevin is sent back to the box for trying to help Kerry. Kevin does the same thing again immediately after being released. Oh, that Kevin. Kevin has enough and breaks out of the cage to save Kerry. So the Von Erichs lose by disqualification. The match went about 20 minutes.

It was a good show besides the Superfly jobber match. Again Gary Hart is just great. He's so understated as I've said, he's not over the top ranting and raving like most heel managers. He's like a mob boss calmly handling business. And the Von Erichs were great. As was Kabuki beating the shit out of people. So once again this is way more fun to watch than WWE.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

7/17/82

Magic Dragon vs Roberto Renesto
It sucks. Dragon does a double armpit grab submission. He's going to have stinky hands. The jobber gets to the ropes and Dragon super kicks him. Dragon does his Prince scream and double chops Renesto. Then he superkicks him again and locks him in a leg scissors submission until the jobber passes out. Just terrible.

Brian Adidas vs "Captain" Frank Dusek
Dusek refuses to take off his robe to wrestle so Adidas sticks out a limp wrist and starts doing a gay walk to taunt him. This was 1982, so it got cheers. Speaking of gay, Mercer starts talking about how handsome Adidas is, how nice his body is, and calls him "a very friendly, gentle guy." ....Okay? Dusek pulls Adidas' hair and a concerned woman screams out "HE'S PULLING HIS HAIR!!!" Well, he does have great early 80s hair. Adidas gets out of a Boston Crab and Mercer says "That crab has come out of his shell!" The match goes to a time limit draw.

Then weirdly they say the referee can award a decision victory and he raises Adidas' hand to continue his referee feud with Dusek. Dusek gets mad and rips off David Manning's shirt and the ref gives him a standing drop kick to pop the crowd. There's a kid in the crowd so gets so pumped up by this fight he starts throwing punches in the air and bouncing around. The cops come out to break it up and one cop is smoking a cigarette the whole time. Good match and fun angle. Manning has good charisma for a referee.

Short promo by "Wild" Bill Irwin
The Goon has no promo charisma. It's bad, but it's short.

The Superfly vs Larry Dwyer
Bugsy McGraw comes out wearing a traffic cone on his head like that Pisswasser commercial in GTA IV. It angers Superfly. The match starts and it's your typical big guy versus jobber short match. Superfly tries to beat Dwyer up some more after the match but McGraw comes in to stop it. He's like the guardian angel for jobbers.

Sit Down Interview with Al Madrill
Mercer goes to Madrill's apartment to interview him about the life of a wrestler. He talks about how hard he trains to be in the position he's in. Then Madrill talks about barbecuing. Mercer notices he has a giant picture of Elvis (Hawaii concert era Elvis, not cool Elvis) behind them in his living room. He talks about how he collects Elvis things and has a statue of Elvis at his house in California.  So you need to cheer for this guy because he grills and knows all the lyrics to Blue Christmas.

David Manning interview
He says he's fed up with Dusek. Then he starts talking about his amateur wrestling background, so I guess they're setting up a match.

"Wild" Bill Irwin vs Al Madrill
Madrill blades pretty early on. I've noticed the floors at the Sportatorium look disgusting. I wouldn't want to blade and then put my head down on that. It's not much of a match. After a brawl around ringside Madrill puts Irwin in the figure four outside of the ring for some reason and gets DQ'ed.

Overall it wasn't a good show beyond the Adidas-Dusek-Manning segment.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Gary Hart was a great promo. Wrestling is missing managers like him.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

So with the Iron Claw coming out, perhaps it's not a bad idea to give this thread a little life. Everyone going to see it? My best friend and I are checking it out on Christmas Day. I've already warned her that I might get a bit sniffly as this shit is sad as fuck.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I.will definitely see it,.it looks great. I think a lot of people who aren't wrasslin fans will appreciate it.

I need to start watching WCCW. Right now Bugsy McGraw accuses the referee of being gay for wanting to check him for foreign objects. Then he does next to nothing in the match but the crowd loves it. I don't even know what the gimmick is. He's like a crazy homeless guy but the crowd loves it.

Al Madrill vs Raul Castro: Wait, they got Fidel's brother and future Cuban leader Raul Castro to wrestle in a mask? That's a big get. Madrill looks like a young David Crosby and also.looks like he smells like weed and has a 80s party van. Madrill attempts the shittiest figure four I've ever seen, then hits a cross body for the win.

Kevin & Kerry interview. They're dressed like they are on their way to a cocaine and pussy party.

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Bugsy was hugely over with African American audiences according to numerous people, much like Sputnik Monroe