Why was the last game released for the Genesis and SNES Frogger?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Why was the last game released for the Genesis and SNES Frogger?

Post by Calavera »

I've seen the game listed as the last official game produced for the SNES and Genesis many times but have never played it. I assumed it was some kind of updated 16-bit version of Frogger. I happen to own Frogger for the Genesis. I picked it up years ago at a thrift store but never played it. Recently I decided to hook up my old Genesis and play some games. I popped in Frogger to check it out and it was Frogger all right. As in the version of Frogger from 1981! I just can't see why anybody would think it would be a good idea to release a port of a 17 year old arcade game on the Sega Genesis in 1998! Maybe if it was like $7.99 when it was released it would have sold a few copies but I'm sure it was at the very least $19.95. Even a really good Genesis game wouldn't have sold well in 1998 so I'm wondering why they thought Frogger was a good idea?

While typing this I tried out the SNES version on an emulator and it is more of what you would expect. It is the same old Frogger but with a 16-bit upgrade. Although funny enough the Genesis version of the original arcade port is much more fun to play then the updated version. I'd like to see the sale figures on Frogger for the Genesis and SNES. They couldn't have sold very many. What kid who was still playing his 16-bit console in 1998 would have wanted Frogger?

The Genesis version just lists the release date as 1998 but the SNES version says October 6th 1998. It is funny to think that the original 1981 Frogger was released on the Genesis and less than 2 months later the Sega Dreamcast was released! I wonder how much of a profit if any they made on the Genesis and SNES versions?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Why was the last game released for the Genesis and SNES Frogger?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's probably because the Frogger game that came out on the Playstation around that time sold very well (25th biggest selling PSX game), so they decided to bring out the original on the older systems.