Re: Hey Roofus! And others who remember classic DCemu shanigans

Post by Calavera »

Whoops! Sorry I added 20-30 years to your actual age! :oshocked:

Amadeus Zull though he is probably in his 60s! :olol:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

people have been doing it for so long I'm used to it, after so much uncling (dont think thats actually a word) I sure feel it

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Roofus wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 am
darc wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:37 am This September will actually make 20 years of DCEmu. We're getting fucking old man.
I'm going to be 40 next year. I'm not ready to be 40. :ocry:
We are the same age. We use Namely at work and I avoided putting my birthday in.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I'm 36. I joined DCEmu back in 2001 (sometime before the forums reset with my current username) which means I've been talking to some of you for over half of my life. :oshocked:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Hawq wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:34 am people have been doing it for so long I'm used to it, after so much uncling (dont think thats actually a word) I sure feel it
Uncling is a GREAT WORD, and if not real it needs to be! I would love to be uncling! closest I get to uncling is... It Doesn't have a word, but all my cousins kids.
can we make a word for that?

Skynet wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:01 pm I'm 36. I joined DCEmu back in 2001 (sometime before the forums reset with my current username) which means I've been talking to some of you for over half of my life. :oshocked:
you old codger, more than half of your life, you poor bastard!... I joined DCE in 2003 when I was 16 and just had my 33rd birthday...

FUCK!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:09 pm
Hawq wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:34 am people have been doing it for so long I'm used to it, after so much uncling (dont think thats actually a word) I sure feel it
Uncling is a GREAT WORD, and if not real it needs to be! I would love to be uncling! closest I get to uncling is... It Doesn't have a word, but all my cousins kids.
can we make a word for that?

Skynet wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:01 pm I'm 36. I joined DCEmu back in 2001 (sometime before the forums reset with my current username) which means I've been talking to some of you for over half of my life. :oshocked:
you old codger, more than half of your life, you poor bastard!... I joined DCE in 2003 when I was 16 and just had my 33rd birthday...

FUCK!
Suck it, we're both old now!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

But I was old when I joined DCE...
I complained a lot more back then when I was young and stupid and thought I could make the world a better place!
Now I just complain a lot and am older and less stupid and KNOW I can't make the world a better place.
BUT because I am older and wiser, and more smarterer and stuff, I am in a better position to complain!

so when I have an angry, drunken rant in my 30's, it makes it more valid than an angry, drunken rant in my 20's!
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Who would have thought when I first signed up to DCEmu to let everybody know about this awesome idea I had to play Genesis roms from a Sega CD that I'd still be posting 18 years later!!! 18 years! When I signed up to DCEmu 18 years ago was 1984!

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I was thinking recently about how I wish I would have kept my Lounge Stories. I wrote so many of those during my time at college, but I can only remember two of them now.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:46 pm Yeah it was definitely New Year's Eve. I don't remember the year but 2003 sounds right. And we're almost as close to 2003 now as we were to the 80s then. :oshocked:
If it was New Years 2003 then that will be 19 years ago this New Year's Eve. Which means we are as far from the night we took over that abandoned forum now as we were from New Years Eve 1984 back then! :oshocked: It was basically a lifetime ago.

I've used the Shenmue example several times when talking about time so I'm going to do it again! :olol: Shenmue came out in 1999 and you could go to the in-game arcade and play Space Harrier and Hang-On which both came out in 1985 meaning they were around 14 years old when Shenmue came out.

So that would be like if a game came out today and had an arcade where you could play Burnout Paradise and GTA IV. Wowza!

Might as well finish this post off with the old Vice City comparison. Grand Theft Auto Vice City came out in 2002 and took place in 1986 which seemed like such a far time in the past but was actually only 16 years before 2002. That would be like if a GTA game came out today and took place in the retro past of 2006! It would have radio stations which such classic songs as London Bridge by Fergie. The roads would be filled with classic cars the pretty much look like the cars you see on the road nowadays. Don't forget the wacky retro clothes such as...umm goth girls maybe? Other than that pretty much the same stuff people wear now.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Calavera wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:09 pm
Roofus wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:46 pm Yeah it was definitely New Year's Eve. I don't remember the year but 2003 sounds right. And we're almost as close to 2003 now as we were to the 80s then. :oshocked:
If it was New Years 2003 then that will be 19 years ago this New Year's Eve. Which means we are as far from the night we took over that abandoned forum now as we were from New Years Eve 1984 back then! :oshocked: It was basically a lifetime ago.

I've used the Shenmue example several times when talking about time so I'm going to do it again! :olol: Shenmue came out in 1999 and you could go to the in-game arcade and play Space Harrier and Hang-On which both came out in 1985 meaning they were around 14 years old when Shenmue came out.

So that would be like if a game came out today and had an arcade where you could play Burnout Paradise and GTA IV. Wowza!

Might as well finish this post off with the old Vice City comparison. Grand Theft Auto Vice City came out in 2002 and took place in 1986 which seemed like such a far time in the past but was actually only 16 years before 2002. That would be like if a GTA game came out today and took place in the retro past of 2006! It would have radio stations which such classic songs as London Bridge by Fergie. The roads would be filled with classic cars the pretty much look like the cars you see on the road nowadays. Don't forget the wacky retro clothes such as...umm goth girls maybe? Other than that pretty much the same stuff people wear now.
Really the biggest difference between then and now is there were no iPhones yet.

Here's another Shenmue comparison for you. According to the Shenmue Wiki, Ryo was born on November 29th, 1968. So he's 54 now.
Roofus wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 am
darc wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:37 am This September will actually make 20 years of DCEmu. We're getting fucking old man.
I'm going to be 40 next year. I'm not ready to be 40. :ocry:
Now I'm 41 and going to be 42 in March. As it turns out, I love my 40s. I've really taken to being a grumpy middle-aged man. :olol:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:49 pm Here's another Shenmue comparison for you. According to the Shenmue Wiki, Ryo was born on November 29th, 1968. So he's 54 now.
He is probably still trying to find out what really happened that day when the snow changed to rain and a black car appeared. I looked up Lan Di on that site. It says he was born August 13th, 1955. With the way Shenmue 3 ended I imagine a 54 year old Ryo is still searching for a 67 year old Lan Di. Maybe he can actually land at least ONE punch on him now.

Off-topic but I know many people didn't care for Shenmue 3 but I actually enjoyed it. I had fun during the game but that ending....what a letdown! It was almost like nothing you did the entire time in Shenmue 3 really mattered at all. It brought Ryo no closer to his goal.

Shenmue 3 should have definitely wrapped up the story. Shenmue came out December 29th, 1999 (just missed the 23rd anniversary!) So most people who played it back then are now in their 30s and 40s. It was an amazing game at the time but if you didn't play it back then I feel like it would be hard to get into now for someone who is playing it for the first time.

The graphics were stunning and the level of freedom you had was like nothing else at the time. Nowadays there are so many open world games that for a new player what once felt new and exciting back in the day might seem boring and mundane now. There are less and less people who are going to care about finishing the Shenmue story when and if it ever comes out. The fact that Shenmue III came out at all was kind of a miracle. This was Yu Suzuki's chance (possibly last chance) to finish the story for all the fans who waited so many years. Does he really think Shenmue 4 is going to happen when it took so much to make Shenmue 3?

Well I'm finished with my Shenmue ramble :olol: We can continue to talk about the past.... like when Ebgames was selling the European version of Shenmue II and it came with a DC-X disc. It all comes back to Shenmue :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I member when EB games sold good games and had staff who knew their shit.
Still branded as Electronics Boutique.

Before literally everything was just fucking shovelware thrown into big bins with sale posters slapped on every inch of store.

EB games have a better constant sale with prices that are higher than new than your local rug store that's been going out of business for 20 years..

I've only been into an EB like twice in the past 5 years and it's as shit as it's been since about 2007.

I don't often shop there because if I wanted to rummage through bins of shit I'd be at the local overpriced charity shop hoping to find something good and leaving equally disappointed.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I didn't go to the stores I always bought from EBgames.com. At one point they were selling used Dreamcast systems with a controller and the cables for $14.99. I should have bought at least 20 of them! You could have either gotten a PS2 or 20 Dreamcasts!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I get a little tinge of nostalgia walking by Gamestop in the mall because it's been in the same spot since the N64 days. But I'm nostalgic for a lot of things, so it's no big bother. :olol: It's just a funny feeling seeing the same store with about half the shelf space and very few games.

Some things are better: I've got a nigh infinite games to play from any generation now. I'm working myself up into a nice midlife crisis, but I like the freedoms as an adult. I do miss having a lot more free time alone. Browsing DCEMU and playing NesterDC at all hours of the night were a big highlight. :)