Retro Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Retro Gaming Thread

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

not sure fan remakes fit the Nintendo thread that well

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've been playing Japanese Saturn games. (I'm out of English Saturn games at this point) most jap games I give up on because I have no clue what's happening, but racing games? I like racing games, and naturally understand what to do even without a single word readable.

But I've questioned how much I like racing games with a pair I've been familiar with for a long time but never got around to playing.
King the spirits and the sequel are the most brutally fucking hard racing games I've ever fucking played, and I've played more racing games than Zoidberg owns, and Zoidberg owns all but 5!
The car handling is more difficult than racing a real car and it's constantly changing.
You take a perfect line at the perfect speed on lap 1 and it drifts perfectly, so you do the exact same thing on lap 2 and you spin out, so you do the exact same thing on lap 3 and don't turn at all and go right into the wall, so you do the exact same thing on lap 4 and come to a complete stop, so you do the exact same thing on lap 5 and slow down too much and smack the inside wall...
These games are fucking brilliant and fucking horrible at the same time.
I want to keep playing them untill I can finish at least one race without a massive cock up, but Jesus it's controller bendingly frustrating how inconsistent the handling is... I am dogshit at these games, and I think even after 10,000 hours practice, I would not be one fraction of an iota better at them.
In any other game you can learn the mechanics and controls and get better, and in any vehicle you can learn it's characteristics, but not in these games which makes me want to play them all the more.

And in a huge surprise I've found and started playing a driving game I've never even heard of!
Galeracer. I was aware of Rad Mobile, the arcade game this was based on and one of the few racing games I would really like to play, but won't without an original cab.
So this 1994 console port of a 1991 arcade game was amazingly refreshing to play.
I have ever decreasing amounts of old games to experience for the first time, (because I keep playing them) this game has warmed my heart in a way that's getting rare.

I love this game. Despite some clipping issues and graphical oddness, Its just a beautiful merge...
I'm using merge because its the perfect way to describe this driving game.
It merges the old 2D arcade ways (scrolling and semi on the rails) and the new modern 3D future of gaming. If it looked a little worse, you could be fooled into thinking you were playing outrun, and if it looked a little better with drifting you have Ridge racer.
It merges the arcade fun with simulation elements in a way I've rarely seen. I started playing thinking it was another arcade game, but then slowly I was seeing more and more things that didn't fit into an arcade game... Ok, so I'm locked in a first person view? Fair enough. Hey I have a horn, Nice! Now it's night and I have to turn on my headlights or I can't see shit. What's this you say? It's now raining and I have to turn on my wipers and the car is handling worse? GET OUT OF HERE, AMAZING... And just as you're getting used to seeing Sonic swinging from your rear view mirror, (oh, yeah there's rear view mirrors) you fall off a cliff and the car gets wrecked. But unlike in boring simulations, you get a fucked dash for a couple of seconds and you're back on the track and back at top speed faster than falling off the cliff!

Yes it looks like ass, (it being a 29 year old console port it was always going to)and yes there's only 1 car, and yes the sound of the engine at full pelt is monotonous after the first 30 seconds... but this is one of the most amazing racing games I've ever played. It highlights the very best of where the arcade racing game came from, and gives a beautiful insight of what's to come.

If I'd played this at the time of launch I wouldn't have been quite as impressed at elements of the future I take for granted in modern racing games.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:37 am
Strider 2 was such a surprise when I rented it back in 2000-2002. I might've bought a used copy too.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »