A Calavera Custom Lifehack! Music stores hate me!

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

A Calavera Custom Lifehack! Music stores hate me!

Post by Calavera »

Are you tired of only being able to record 90 minutes of your favorite music onto a cassette tape? This may be fine when you are on the go with your walkman, but what about when you are at home? What if you a throwing a party? Wouldn't you rather have a tape that could play for much longer so you wouldn't have to get up and switch tapes every 90 minutes or so? You could of course buy on of those multi cassette changers but those are quite expensive. What if I told you that you could fit over 8 hours of music onto a single tape using equipment that you already own?

That is right! 8+ hours of music on a single tape! How is this possible? It is quite simple really but something that nobody ever really thinks to do. Simply record the music onto a VHS tape using your VCR! Most VCRs have standard red and white RCA outputs. And a cord to convert a headphone output to red/white RCA can be bought for just a few dollars. So any device you have with either an RCA or headphone out can be hooked into your VCR! Using your VCR means you can fit around 8 hours and 11 minutes of music on a standard T-160 tape in SLP mode. So instead of having to constantly switch out cassettes during a party you can pop in one VHS and have enough music to last all night! You could even record some trippy visuals onto the tape as well to go with your music but that is optional. You don't even need to hook the video output to your TV. So then while the tape is playing you can still use your television. Just record your mega long playlist onto a VHS and hook it into your Hi-Fi and get ready to jam!

If you are able to get your hands on a T-240 VHS you can fit even more music onto one tape. Up to 12 and a half hours! Woah! So save yourself some money and stop buying loads of blank cassette tapes. A standard pack of 5 blank VHS tapes will be able to hold over 40 hours of music! You could even convert your entire collection of records and cassettes onto a few VHS tapes and save a ton of space! A standard 33 1/3 record holds around 22 minutes per side. So 44 minutes total. That means you can fit around 11 full albums onto a single VHS tape. So that standard pack of 5 blank tapes I mentioned can hold 55 records! Think of the space you will save!

I don't ask for any payment for this amazingly useful information. All I ask if that you pass it onto others so more and more people will realize the amazing audio capabilities of VHS.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: A Calavera Custom Lifehack! Music stores hate me!

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:whoa:

Everybody will be rockin' around their TV.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:18 pm :whoa:

Everybody will be rockin' around their TV.
No no no. You hook the VCR into your Hi-fi!

I feel like some people here will see this thread and not know if I'm joking or being serious :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

So, and I’m being serious here, that would have been an amazing life hack in the 90’s when I used to make mix tapes. I wonder what the quality is like compared to a regular cassette.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:19 am So, and I’m being serious here, that would have been an amazing life hack in the 90’s when I used to make mix tapes. I wonder what the quality is like compared to a regular cassette.
Almost everybody had a VCR back then yet hardly anyone ever thought of doing this. I didn't think of it myself either. I first saw it in a Youtube video around 2012 or so of a guy who used a VCR in his stereo setup for recording and playing back audio.

I would think it would sound at least as good as a standard audio cassette. I might give it a try sometime just for fun to see how it sounds once I either find a universal remote or can get a cheap replacement remote for some of my VCRs. I didn't realize that you can't change the recording mode on most VCRs without the remote and everyone of mine I've tried defaults to SLP mode.