If Windows 95 came out today...

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

If Windows 95 came out today...

Post by Roofus »

And if they used a similar gimmick in their ads that they did back then, Microsoft might use "Let's Get it Started" by the Black Eyed Peas and it would be more retro now that Start Me Up was in 1995

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: If Windows 95 came out today...

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

MS would probably get Nickelback to do a cover of Start Me Up for the ad.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

At 0:47 they are copying a file to the A:\ drive and at the bottom of the window you can see it is a 740KB disk! Get with the times man it isn't 1985 anymore it is 1995! They should have been using a 21MB floptical disk to show off their fancy new operating system!

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Calavera wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:37 pm At 0:47 they are copying a file to the A:\ drive and at the bottom of the window you can see it is a 740KB disk! Get with the times man it isn't 1985 anymore it is 1995! They should have been using a 21MB floptical disk to show off their fancy new operating system!
I hope someone got fired for that blunder

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Roofus wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:21 pm
Calavera wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:37 pm At 0:47 they are copying a file to the A:\ drive and at the bottom of the window you can see it is a 740KB disk! Get with the times man it isn't 1985 anymore it is 1995! They should have been using a 21MB floptical disk to show off their fancy new operating system!
I hope someone got fired for that blunder
Let me ask you a question. Why would a man whose shirt says "genius at work" spend all of his time criticizing disk sizes?

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

If Windows 95 came out today people would be like:

“Why do they call it Windows 95. It’s 20 bloody 22 people. Wake up and smell the COVID!”

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Even though I'm kind of a retro computer nerd I didn't know about the Weezer video that came with Windows 95 until very recently. :embarrassed:

I did use Windows 95 back in the day for a few years, but I'm much more familiar with Windows 98/98SE. And when I would go back and mess around with an old computer I'd always use Windows 98 as I never really saw a reason to use 95. 95 is pretty much 98 but just missing a ton of features and ease of use stuff. The main thing I miss in Windows 95 is the lack of an address bar and back button in explorer. Each time you click something it opens a new window. So you go to My Computer then click the C drive(new windows) then Program files (new windows) than a game folder in program files(new window) You've now got 4 windows open just to go to one folder. You have to close out a window everytime you click something! There is probably some kind of user made thing that adds the Internet Explorer type bar to Explorer but I've never looked into it. I'll just stick to Windows 98SE for my retro computer needs. I prefer XP but 98 is needed for older games.

There were a few times where I tried to install Windows 95 on either an old computer or an emulator like PCem but where as 98 would usually install basically problem free I always had trouble getting Windows 95 to install properly. Really nowadays Windows 95 is about as useless for retro PCs as Windows ME. Windows 95 does have lower system requirements but really if you have a system that can run 95 but not 98 it probably runs 95 pretty slow anyway and you'd be better off with Windows 3.11 or even just DOS 6.22

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

If Windows 95 came out today I would wonder why they called it that in 2024. I would be like “95 what?!?”