Will a 12th gen Intel Core i9-12900KF work well with Windows 98/XP?

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Will a 12th gen Intel Core i9-12900KF work well with Windows 98/XP?

Post by Calavera »

Greetings my fellow nerds! I've been into computers almost my whole life so I have fond memories of playing classic PC games. The problem is that modern operating systems don't handle the classics too well. Oh sure I know you can use dosbox or *shudder Oracle Virtual PC *shudder but I'm a real purist and want to run it on original hardware!

You see nowadays all these CPUs(a.k.a. Central Processing Unit) have however many umpteen cores and the classic games don't exactly jive with that. I've read that a current umpteen multi core CPU can actually run the retros better than some Pentium 4 chips as long as you search out the ones that have the best "single core performance".

I searched the web and stumbled upon a tidy little site called "https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html". This website organizes CPUs by their "single core performance" so my as a consumer can make the best bang for my buck decision. According to "https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html" the absolute best "single core performance" CPU is one called the "12th gen Intel Core i9-12900KF" they are pretty cheap considering they are the best "single core performance". It looks like I can get one for around seven to 8 hundred in united state dollars.

This seems like it will be a great one for my gaming needs. I'll be playing stuff like Max Payne,Mafia,,Black&White,Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,Thief II etc... as well as some older games for the dos disk system.

The only risk and challenges I see with this central processor is will it allow operation of Windows 95/98/98SE/XP/DOS? I apologize if this is a silly question as since it is the best "single core performance" processor it would be pretty weird if it didn't run those operating OSes.

One other quick question while I have you on the line is what kind of video graphics card would go well together with it? Originally I wanted two Voodoo2 cards running in "SLI" but apparently those cards use something called "The AGP" and now systems won't accept those because they now have a card bus called "The PCI Express" So at the moment I am thinking of either an Nvidia 8800GT or a Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti. They both use "The PCI Express" card bus protocol but I'm not sure witch one will run Hitmans Two Silent Assassin and Thief 2 the best. Right now I'm leaning towards the 8800 GT as it is a higher number and is a "GT" which I know means fast when it comes to cars so I figure it also applies to video cards. I've never seen a Toyota Tercel RTX model or any other car with an RTX badge for that matter.

When I get this done it will most probably be the most best retros gaming PC in the new world. I am very anxious to get everything bought and set up so feel free to apply to this message at any time. I'm usually up late anyways so don't worry about waking me up.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Will a 12th gen Intel Core i9-12900KF work well with Windows 98/XP?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

What FPS will Deus Ex get?

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Yes but it works even better with CP/M

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:48 pm Yes but it works even better with CP/M
Which version is best? Concurrent CP/M-86 or CP/M 3.0?

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I'm still waiting for an answer @Roofus

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

CP/M 86 but I bet you could get away with MP/M if you have a few terminals around.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:06 am CP/M 86 but I bet you could get away with MP/M if you have a few terminals around.
Would an IBM 5100 work? John Titor seems to think it is a pretty capable machine.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Calavera wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:27 pm
Roofus wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:06 am CP/M 86 but I bet you could get away with MP/M if you have a few terminals around.
Would an IBM 5100 work? John Titor seems to think it is a pretty capable machine.
It might. You should borrow John's