I finally have a high-speed internet connection!

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

I finally have a high-speed internet connection!

Post by Calavera »

From the mid 90s until 2007 I was using dial-up. Then in 2007 a local company opened up offering "high-speed" of 1.5mbps a few years in they upgraded everyone who had 1.5 to 3mbps and that it what I have been using until today. FINALLY fiber optic was offered in my area. And just today about 4 hours ago it was installed. I have now gone from 3mbps to 100mbps! 100 is the slowest/cheapest package they offer. They also offer 500 and 1,000. I figured 500 or 1,000 really wasn't necessary atm. It is extremely nice to go from 3mbps to 100! I'm actually surprised fiber was finally offered here as it is a rural area. But now finally in 2022 I am entering the 21st century of internet! :osmile:

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: I finally have a high-speed internet connection!

Post by ian »

Aren't you lucky. We Aussies just got 14.4kbps connections last year.

I can't wait for 2028 when they say we'll all have 28.8kbps and government and schools will have a huge 33.6.

Who knows, by the year 3000 They're predicting we'll be able to download an entire floppy disk in one second, but I think that's a pipe dream.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I'm currently running 100/40 and it suits my house just fine. Welcome to the 100Mbps club!

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

Have fun streaming video and torrenting all the Linux ISOs you can handle!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:22 pm I'm currently running 100/40 and it suits my house just fine. Welcome to the 100Mbps club!
Odd typo with that M in there, but 100/40 bits per second is nothing to scoff at! :owink: Our international friends probably don't know, but the fastest way for Australians to transmit data is to put it all on an SSD and then put the drive on top of the computer and wait for teleportation to be invented to take it to it's destination.
And the slowest way for Australians to transmit data is a tie between our Internet and an Australia Post express parcel from one capital city to another.

Smithers, What's a good time for a mass download of Nintendo 64 roms?"

45 Seconds.

And what's our time?

I don't know sir, this stopwatch only goes up to 15 minutes.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:11 pm
Skynet wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:22 pm I'm currently running 100/40 and it suits my house just fine. Welcome to the 100Mbps club!
Odd typo with that M in there, but 100/40 bits per second is nothing to scoff at! :owink: Our international friends probably don't know, but the fastest way for Australians to transmit data is to put it all on an SSD and then put the drive on top of the computer and wait for teleportation to be invented to take it to it's destination.
And the slowest way for Australians to transmit data is a tie between our Internet and an Australia Post express parcel from one capital city to another.

45 Seconds.

And what's our time?

Telstra maintaining the phone lines be like https://boingboing.net/2017/12/13/rfc-2549.html

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:olol: wet string and salt? What do you think they're made of money?

Some reclaimed fishing line and coke cans cut in half with rusty tin snips is how Telstra and NBN roll!
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:57 pm

45 Seconds.

And what's our time?

Telstra maintaining the phone lines be like https://boingboing.net/2017/12/13/rfc-2549.html
ian wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:15 pm :olol: wet string and salt? What do you think they're made of money?

Some reclaimed fishing line and coke cans cut in half with rusty tin snips is how Telstra and NBN roll!
:rofl:

A few years ago, I kept getting phone calls from my ISP. I had a 25M connection at my apartment, and I used every single bit downloading Linux ISOs so I was a little worried about their persistence to talk. Mind you, I actually got year-long ban from a previous ISP for downloading some particular ISOs too many times.

So after a few days, someone from the ISP leaves a message: Hi this is Squiggy from Local ISP customer service. We've noticed a lot of activity on your account ... (Oh shit, I thought, they're on to me and my addiction to 1080p Gentoo ISOs) ... Would you like to upgrade your account? We've got some great deals on our 100 and 500 packages!

I took a breath and laughed, and appreciated the offer. :olol: I stuck with their lowest package for years until I got a roommate and a promotion. A beefier connection was one of the first things I sprung for when I got my new job. Now I have some months where my download and upload reach a 1TB because of all these Linux machines that I maintain and share with friends/family.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

45 Seconds.

And what's our time?

:olol: The funny thing is that I just did this for a friend. He shipped a drive to me and I sent it back with the files he needed for a Retropie setup.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Wait your phone/internet companies can contact you?!?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.ne ... /100966128

When I read this article my first thought was: how is this even news?
You can be standing right next to an Optus tower and try calling someone else standing right next to an Optus tower and the call will still fucking drop out.
Whenever I try to call or video chat with someone I'm reminded of that scene in silicon valley where Gavin Belson is told the video has stopped but the audio is working: FUCK YOU THE AUDIO IS WORKING, AUDIO WORKED A HUNDRED FUCKING YEARS AGO!

And the last time I completely reformatted my computer, it was quicker to drive to a friends house with freshly installed PROPER internet, update my shit and install all my games and then drive home than it would have been for me to download windows updates in my area... Our proper internet was supposed to be all fibre everywhere, then the government thought... HANG ON! this will cost us billions, so they scrapped most of the fibre for the aforementioned fishing line with Coke cans and it still cost just as many billions but 85% of the country got fucked over)
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

But on the plus side, no one is to blame for the shit situation for anyone not with proper fibre!

It's like that Spiderman meme where Spiderman points at other identical Spidermans.
The Spidermans being:
The national broadband network.
Telstra.
The liberals.
Where any time there is any sort of problem, they can just blame one of the others for it, and nothing gets any better.

The ISPs are more like in the Simpsons where the guy in the back who whenever there's a vote and everyone says all in favour, he's the only one who opposes.
And when the public ask WHO KEEPS SAYING THAT?
the ISPs point to labour and says: It was him, let's get him fellas!
While everyone bashes up labour.
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Today I was at work and my coworker was talking about how maybe he should step down his internet speed from 1200mbps to 900mbps and save $20 a month. But he was worried that the speed decrease would be too noticeable. He asked what I had and I told him 120mbps. He scoffed like I lived in Australia or something and was like, ‘How do you SURVIVE with that? Do you just not stream or anything? Who do you have?’ I said Comcast, to which he was so reluctant to believe that he actually searched on Comcast’s site just to see if they had and internet package that slow. I also told him we stream Disney 4K HDR movies and he was like ‘God, I’ll bet the buffering is HORRIBLE!’ I was like…no…it’s fine. But spent the entire day acting like I was straight from the 90’s with my slow ass 100MBPS connection.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I think you need to have an honest and frank discussion with your co-worker, he might be making a big mistake. With his 1200mbps connection, he can manage about 48 concurrent streams of 4K content. Not bad in 2022. That measly 900mbps connection? He's all the way down to 36 4k streams.

He should take some time to really reflect on this decision because it could be a huge sacrifice.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:06 am Today I was at work and my coworker was talking about how maybe he should step down his internet speed from 1200mbps to 900mbps and save $20 a month. But he was worried that the speed decrease would be too noticeable. He asked what I had and I told him 120mbps. He scoffed like I lived in Australia or something and was like, ‘How do you SURVIVE with that? Do you just not stream or anything? Who do you have?’ I said Comcast, to which he was so reluctant to believe that he actually searched on Comcast’s site just to see if they had and internet package that slow. I also told him we stream Disney 4K HDR movies and he was like ‘God, I’ll bet the buffering is HORRIBLE!’ I was like…no…it’s fine. But spent the entire day acting like I was straight from the 90’s with my slow ass 100MBPS connection.
Sounds like someone who really doesn't understand what the numbers mean. Really if all you are doing is streaming Netflix,Hulu,Youtube etc.. you probably aren't going to notice a difference from 100 to 1,000. Unless you have tons of people connecting to it. Right now with 100mbps 4K streams instantly. If I had 1,000 it would still stream instantly. After a certain point you really aren't going to notice an improvement. Unless you are constantly downloading huge files and have to have them as quickly as possible I'd say 100 is fine. If I'm wrong about this let me know.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:24 am
Skynet wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:57 pm

45 Seconds.

And what's our time?

ian wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:15 pm :olol: wet string and salt? What do you think they're made of money?

:rofl:

A few years ago, I kept getting phone calls from my ISP. I had a 25M connection at my apartment, and I used every single bit downloading Linux ISOs so I was a little worried about their persistence to talk. Mind you, I actually got year-long ban from a previous ISP for downloading some particular ISOs too many times.

So after a few days, someone from the ISP leaves a message: Hi this is Squiggy from Local ISP customer service. We've noticed a lot of activity on your account ... (Oh shit, I thought, they're on to me and my addiction to 1080p Gentoo ISOs) ... Would you like to upgrade your account? We've got some great deals on our 100 and 500 packages!

I took a breath and laughed, and appreciated the offer. :olol: I stuck with their lowest package for years until I got a roommate and a promotion. A beefier connection was one of the first things I sprung for when I got my new job. Now I have some months where my download and upload reach a 1TB because of all these Linux machines that I maintain and share with friends/family.
I just checked my usage over 12 months, lowest is just shy of 1TB and most months it's around 1.5TB. It has been around 2TB. All in all, not bad considering it's just me and my gf. :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:58 pm I just checked my usage over 12 months, lowest is just shy of 1TB and most months it's around 1.5TB. It has been around 2TB. All in all, not bad considering it's just me and my gf. :olol:
Honestly, I'd expect a super-intelligent AI and his girlfriend would need more bandwidth than that!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:33 am
Skynet wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:58 pm I just checked my usage over 12 months, lowest is just shy of 1TB and most months it's around 1.5TB. It has been around 2TB. All in all, not bad considering it's just me and my gf. :olol:
Honestly, I'd expect a super-intelligent AI and his girlfriend would need more bandwidth than that!
We use really good compression

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

4 months later and I'm still impressed with the speed! 70.58GB only takes 1 hour and 50 minutes to download! I still find that very impressive. On my previous 3mbps connection it would have taken around 2 and a half days! :whoa:

You'd think I'd just be used to the speed by now but I still find it pretty impressive how fast a large file can download. And I'm on the slowest package. Imagine if I had the 500 or 1000mbps. That 70gb would only take 18 minutes at 500 and 9 minutes at 1000! I'm happy with my 100 though. I don't need things THAT quickly.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

All us Aussies are still here from your first post still waiting for your signature to load.

Any day now!
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

:olol: