$1 million clipart rock NFT accidentally sold for less than a cent

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

$1 million clipart rock NFT accidentally sold for less than a cent

Post by Roofus »

NFTs are one of the most controversial tech things around at the moment, and for good reason. Artificial scarcity in digital spaces seems to be all the rage, and trading jpegs on the blockchain for stupid amounts of money is popular for some reason. But mistakes can always be made, often by user error, and that's how one NFT-rader got fractions of a cent for their rock jpeg that was valued at closer $1 million.

The world of crypto can be a tough one to navigate. There's heaps of currencies, weird apes, unfathomable environmental impacts, and just a lot of confusion. Many game developers have straight up called out NFTs as a scam. The legitimacy of crytpo can be so bad that Steam found over 50% of transactions using bitcoins on its platform were fraudulent. It's a scary crypto world out there, and not even crypto bro NFT aficionados are immune to it.

Reported by Vice, Dino Dealer on Twitter is one such crypto trader who recently made a simple error. When listing their precious EtherRock NFT they erroneously put it up for 444 gwei instead of 444 eth. This is the difference between getting basically nothing or around $1 million USD. Once listed for the low low price, it was immediately purchased by a bot for the equivalent of someone whispering the word "money" from at least 100 kms away.

Dino Dealer posted about the event on Twitter, pleading at the end for snipers to show mercy. They also contacted the owner of the bot, hoping for a do-over but have received no reply. Because this is all blockchain, the transaction is available for anyone to see and smile at if they choose. Given it's a very basic jpeg of a rock, it feels like the bot got about what it paid for anyway.

EtherRock is a pretty quintessential example of NFTs. It's a series of images of the same clipart rock with variations in colour, so a lot like the famous Ape images you might have seen, but literally just rocks. Or rock. The same rock. One has sold for the equivalent of $3.5 million USD. The worst part is you can't even bang your head against one since it's just a digital jpeg.

Source: PC Gamer

Hawq
Site Admin

Re: $1 million clipart rock NFT accidentally sold for less than a cent

Post by Hawq »

its a dooble of a rock its not even worth the cent, when did the world go this mental? am I missing something or have some generations been born with free lobotomies?

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

At best, NFTs and crypto are a novel idea to decentralize the network infrastructure in financial transactions. At worst, it's the latest dipshit scheme in an ever-escalating, cynical rat race.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I like crypto. NFTs are the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Especially at a time of trading cards being huge. Go buy something physical you know for sure you can sell.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Nfts and crypto were invented by Millennials so we can feel good about owning something of value because most of us will never own a home.
That's my conspiracy theory anyway.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:09 am Dino Dealer posted about the event on Twitter, pleading at the end for snipers to show mercy. They also contacted the owner of the bot, hoping for a do-over but have received no reply.
I have no idea who Dino Dealer is but if this had happened the other way around do you think he would "show mercy"?

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Wasn't Dino Dealer the guy Fred Flintsone bought his pet from?