50% of Capcom's game sales now come from PC. Digital sales 95% vs 5% physical last quarter

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

50% of Capcom's game sales now come from PC. Digital sales 95% vs 5% physical last quarter

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

50% of Capcom's game sales now come from PC

Capcom management has confirmed that PC is a very important platform for the Japanese publisher with 50% of total video game sales coming from the PC.

Capcom has confirmed that half of its video game sales for the Q2 period were made on PC.

Today Capcom published an English translation of its Q2 Fiscal Year 2022 Q&A session with investors, which revealed some interesting tidbits about the company's presence on PC. According to Capcom management, game sales on PC made up 50% of its unit sales for the Q2 period (July - September 2022).

Q: What is the ratio of PC sales to total unit sales in your Consumer sub-segment at the end of Q2 in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023?

A: Approximately 50%, with primarily catalog title sales growing.

Capcom sold a total of 9.6 million games during the Q2 period, with most of those sales being made overseas and from catalog title sales. These proportional shares reveal that Capcom sold approximately 4.8 million games on PC during the period.

This certainly accounts for the significant jump in the percentage of digital games for the quarter. According to Capcom's filings, digital accounted for a whopping 95% of its unit sales for the period, or 9.12 million units. PC games are all-digital, so we know that PC made up 52% of total digital game sales for Capcom's Q2.

The PC gaming platform has become increasingly important for Japanese game publishers. SEGA, Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom have all realized the value and potential of the platform by re-releasing a plethora of classic bundles as well as new live games. Capcom has successfully capitalized on the market with a multitude of releases as well as the powerful Monster Hunter World live game.

Source: TweakTown

I also like Oingo Biongo.

Not that you can really buy physical for PC these days anyway.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: 50% of Capcom's game sales now come from PC. Digital sales 95% vs 5% physical last quarter

Post by pixel »

I'm buying a lot more music CDs than I did in the past, but they're also used and cost $3 each. I'm still a big Spotify user, but I'm always ready to start downloading stuff again if I need.

It's the same thing with video games: I'm okay with the current landscape. But the gaming piracy scene is rather corking these days with the digital-first marketplace. I consider that my last resort if things get too dicey with usage rights.

That's already happened for me and TV/movies. I have a few subscriptions to the platforms I really need or want to support, but don't bother with the rest.

Being a cheapskate dirtbag has never been more admirable.

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: 50% of Capcom's game sales now come from PC. Digital sales 95% vs 5% physical last quarter

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 am I'm buying a lot more music CDs than I did in the past, but they're also used and cost $3 each. I'm still a big Spotify user, but I'm always ready to start downloading stuff again if I need.

It's the same thing with video games: I'm okay with the current landscape. But the gaming piracy scene is rather corking these days with the digital-first marketplace. I consider that my last resort if things get too dicey with usage rights.

That's already happened for me and TV/movies. I have a few subscriptions to the platforms I really need or want to support, but don't bother with the rest.

It's not even so much of being a cheapskate here. I just like having things because they can't be ruined or removed or edited or deleted or "cancelled"

What do you do when your favourite artist cracks the shits and their whole catalogue is pulled from Spotify?

Or the network writes a whole show off for tax reasons?

Or the licence for a show you like has changed and it's now not on one of the 24,743 streaming services you subscribe to, but one of the 2 you don't?

Or steam decides you no longer own Monday Night Combat because FUCK YOU.

Or what if Disney wants to Butcher the aspect ratio of all the early Simpsons episodes and still remove one anyway?
Sure having nearly every Simpsons episode Butchered at the snap of your fingers is great and a real time saver... But y'know I can get the DVDs which I've had for quite a long time now and watch them ALL properly.

As for CD's... Even after 40 years, they are still the best way to listen to consistently high quality music.
Lossy formats (basically anything shared on the internet) are fine if you're listening through a pair of 2 year old airpods on a noisy and packed peak hour train.

But the second you use any sort of speakers with any sort of quality... radio, MP3s, Spotify, YouTube, cassettes, etc all falls apart.
Vinyl sounds really good the first time you play it, but after you've played the Beatles albums for the 200th time, they simply don't sound as good anymore.

But a CD? If it's taken care of one you bought 40 years ago will sound EXACTLY THE SAME today.

No removing or changing of stuff once it's pressed to a physical thing (which is not always good, for example they fucked up the Red Dwarf Blurays, but I still have my DVD's from like 18 years ago so all is well)

In terms of movies, the technology has kept getting better to suit home use. VHS then laserdisc then VCD, DVD, hd DVD, Bluray, 4K Bluray.

But with the CD, it's perfect for music and nothing has come along that's better.
(Minidisc came damn close, but fizzled due to stupid prices and got phased out before it could take over)

By the 90's, humanity was asking too much from the CD. Video and computer games were put on them as well as Audio and for a while it worked ok, if you didn't mind the shit loading times compared to carts, they could hold a lot of Data cheaply.

By 2001, 19 years after introduction, the CD simply couldn't keep up with demands of the game and film world.

But even 21 year after that, the CD is still an ample thing for what it was designed for. 74-80 minutes of proper quality audio at a time.

So even if you prefer the convenience and low cost of streaming services (and I ABSOLUTELY DO) the Compact Disc still has a relevant role to play in my life.

My only New CD purchases in the past Decade have been Bad Religion and Daft Punk... Music so good it doesn't need to be changed or cancelled. I can't tell you how much used shit I buy (DVD's and CD's and vinyl) because I stopped keeping track.

As for Capcom. I don't even remember the last Capcom game I bought...
One of the dead risings probably? Still haven't played any after 2 which I had the stupidly big edition that had the dolly for a while before I sold it to fund my next lot of games.

I'd I could sell my Digital purchases or rentals to fund more I would.
Anyone want a digital copy of Dick Figures? Good thing I downloaded them all because my ownership of that no longer exists.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:38 am
pixel wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 am I'm buying a lot more music CDs than I did in the past, but they're also used and cost $3 each. I'm still a big Spotify user, but I'm always ready to start downloading stuff again if I need.

It's not even so much of being a cheapskate here. I just like having things because they can't be ruined or removed or edited or deleted or "cancelled"

What do you do when your favourite artist cracks the shits and their whole catalogue is pulled from Spotify?

Or the network writes a whole show off for tax reasons?

Or the licence for a show you like has changed and it's now not on one of the 24,743 streaming services you subscribe to, but one of the 2 you don't?

Or steam decides you no longer own Monday Night Combat because FUCK YOU.

Or what if Disney wants to Butcher the aspect ratio of all the early Simpsons episodes and still remove one anyway?
Sure having nearly every Simpsons episode Butchered at the snap of your fingers is great and a real time saver... But y'know I can get the DVDs which I've had for quite a long time now and watch them ALL properly.
Bingo "thumbsup Seinfeld wasn't streaming for about a year, but it didn't bother me because I've got them all saved locally. I haven't totally convinced my family that local storage is important, but I'm only going to buy more hard drive space as time continues on.

Seasonal content for video games really irks me too. The preservation aspect alone is awful, and it's impossible to play F2P/MMO/Online games unless the game was popular enough for a homebrew option. Even then, that's not perfect. I'm emotionally attached to the idea that I can play static games from my childhood easily and slip into a nostalgia coma. That's not possible for games like Fortnite or even Street Fighter because of updates, you can't go back and experience these games as you did when you first enjoyed them.

The biggest silver lining for me with digital distribution is the mammoth game development scene. I don't play AAA titles anymore, those types of games aren't made for me anymore. But it's overwhelming to look through my Steam queue to see how many oddball and wacky little games are out there for $5-30 a piece.

That and I rarely see or hear any advertisements anymore. I see them on social media but they're so tailored and esoteric that I'm not really bothered by them. You cannot force me to watch free TV or radio stations, it causes too much psychic damage to hear those annoying ads.