Android/iOS Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Android/iOS Gaming Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I've played this a bit since last week. It's weird, man. That's coming from someone with over 1600 hours in RL

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I don't understand why they just don't release the normal Rocket League on mobile. It's out on the Switch and most phones are more powerful than the Switch.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I can appreciate that they tried to make a mobile-optimized version, I'll have to give it a try. It looks ... interesting. :olol: But Rocket League on PC feels really skanky now, I'm going to miss the old UI. I only like playing the single-player season just to goof off and relax, now it's hidden under four or five submenus.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Since it went f2p and went to Epic the UI is a bloody mess. I still play it and have over 1600 hours but I hate it now

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US

I've been playing this over the weekend, a pretty good time waster on the phone

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It looks nice. I'll check it out.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I've been addicted to Retro Bowl (their U.S. football game) for more than a year, New Star has a knack for making really good touch controls. I know almost nothing about soccer, but I maxed out my attack stats and almost no one can stop me. I've brought Birmingham from the dredges of the champions to the top of the premiers!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The original 'Angry Birds' game returns to app stores

The remake costs 99 cents, but it doesn't have in-app purchases.

The original Angry Birds game is back. Sure, there are other, newer entries in the Angry Birds franchise out there — and even a couple of movies — but this one's for those who have a special place in their hearts for the game that started it all. In a letter to fans published last year, Rovio explained that it had to take its older titles out of circulation, because they used outdated game engines and design. "Today’s mobile technology and games landscape has evolved to a place where supporting them was untenable," the company wrote. The developer also couldn't leave them up without updating them, because they'll soon be incompatible with the latest mobile operating systems.

Apparently, there was a "big outcry" for Rovio to bring back the older games, especially the original, so it decided to work on bringing the classic experiences back. The company said at the time that it has to figure out "what is possible and for which games," so it's unclear if other older titles will also get remakes. Rovio rebuilt the original Angry Birds from the ground up using Unity, which allowed the company to recreate the feel of the classic for newer devices. That's a much more involved process than simply touching up older graphics or updating game mechanics.

The new version of the game called Rovio Classics: Angry Birds, is now available from the Apple App Store and from Google Play. It will set you back 99 cents to download, but it doesn't have in-app purchases and even makes the Mighty Eagle (an old in-app purchase) available at no extra cost.

Source: Engadget

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’m not usually excited for mobile games, but I’m excited for that.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It should be a good one to play on the toilet.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Apple to allow iOS app downloads direct from websites in the EU

Developers will need to adhere to some strict rules from Apple, though.

Apple is planning to make further changes in EU countries to allow some developers to distribute their iOS apps directly from a website. The new web distribution feature will be available with a software update "later this spring," according to Apple, providing developers with a key new way to distribute iOS apps in EU markets without the need for a separate app store — as long as they're willing to adhere to Apple's strict rules.

While Apple is opening up iOS to more third-party apps here, these are still some key security protections around how apps are distributed via websites — namely, you'll still have to work within the strict Apple app development ecosystem. "Apps offered through Web Distribution must meet Notarization requirements to protect platform integrity, like all iOS apps, and can only be installed from a website domain that the developer has registered in App Store Connect," explains Apple.

It's also not going to be a simple process to install these apps on an iPhone in the EU. "To install apps from a developer's website, users will first need to approve the developer to install apps in Settings on their iPhone," says Apple. "When installing an app, a system sheet will display information that developers have submitted to Apple for review, like the app name, developer name, app description, screenshots, and system age rating."

So this isn't going to be an open and free way for developers to distribute apps over the web to iOS devices in EU markets. "Apple will authorize developers after meeting specific criteria and committing to ongoing requirements that help protect users," says Apple. Developers will need to be part of Apple's Developer Program and be registered in the EU. They'll also need to agree to a number of key undertakings, as outlined by Apple:
  • Be enrolled in the Apple Developer Program as an organization incorporated, domiciled, and or registered in the EU (or have a subsidiary legal entity incorporated, domiciled, and or registered in the EU that's listed in App Store Connect). The location associated with your legal entity is listed in your Apple Developer account.
  • Be a member of good standing in the Apple Developer Program for two continuous years or more, and have an app that had more than one million first annual installs on iOS in the EU in the prior calendar year.
  • Only offer apps from your developer account.
  • Be responsive to communications from Apple regarding your apps distributed through Web Distribution, particularly regarding any fraudulent, malicious, or illegal behavior, or anything else that Apple believes impacts the safety, security, or privacy of users.
  • Publish transparent data collection policies and offer users control over how their data is collected and used.
  • Follow applicable laws of the jurisdictions where you operate (for example, the Digital Services Act, the General Data Protection Regulation, and consumer protection laws).
  • Be responsible for handling governmental and other requests to take down listings of apps
That's a lot of hoops for developers to jump through, and it appears that Apple is limiting this to big developers only thanks to the 1 million installs requirement. Having a good standing developer account for two years may also rule Epic Games out of this particular distribution method. Epic Games is still hoping to launch its iOS game store in the European Union soon, though.

Apple currently allows developers to distribute their apps on third-party marketplaces in EU countries, but if those apps reach more than 1 million annual installs per year, they'll need to pay that 50 euro cent fee for every additional installation and update. That same Core Technology Fee process is part of web distribution of iOS apps, too. Only nonprofit organizations, select educational institutions, and government entities in the EU are exempt from this Core Technology Fee.

Still, the ability for developers to bring their apps directly to iPhone users in the EU without having to go through the App Store or another third-party store will be useful for some willing to put up with the tight restrictions. There's some obvious friction for end users, but with some third-party stores requiring fees, this allows iOS developers to avoid stores altogether if they're willing to host their apps directly and abide by Apple's rules and policies.

Apple is also changing its strict rules around how developers link to an external webpage to complete purchases for digital goods. Developers can now "choose how to design promotions, discounts, and other deals," according to Apple. That means Apple's own design templates are optional, instead of being forced on developers.

Source: The Verge