General Tech News/Discussion Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: General Tech News/Discussion Thread

Post by ian »

Seeing the picture on even the best 4K streams on the best internet connections with the best 4K TV's...
Yes, the world still needs optical discs I'm afraid.

I'd love for a Streaming service to have the best picture humanity can possibly achieve on every bit of media ever produced, but that will simply never happen.

So little overpriced plastic discs will always have a place in our world, even if it's a small place.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

ian wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:40 pm Seeing the picture on even the best 4K streams on the best internet connections with the best 4K TV's...
Yes, the world still needs optical discs I'm afraid.

I'd love for a Streaming service to have the best picture humanity can possibly achieve on every bit of media ever produced, but that will simply never happen.

So little overpriced plastic discs will always have a place in our world, even if it's a small place.
Watching a 4K stream on an OLED during a heavy action scene is enough to make me say we still need discs. Casually watching a show, sure, I’ll pick streaming any day. But watching a big budget movie on my home theater setup, give me that disc because streaming won’t handle it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The news pixel posted is about blank blu-rays BTW, which other companies like Ritek will still be making.

You can still buy music on vinyl and cassette, so commercial blu-rays should be around for a while yet.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully it's just Panasonic—or just blank media in general—instead of blu-ray as a whole.

It's a weird format to me: I've never bought a disc, only own one player that the missus bought 10 years ago, and don't own a PC disc drive. And it's almost 20 years old. :oshocked:

I also inherited 100-200 blu-ray and DVD movies in this relationship, and at first, I kept thinking we should get rid of them. I'm completely opposed to that now and might get a blu-ray drive in case I need to rip these for Plex.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Speaking of video formats, this guy is directly capturing VHS signals with his computer

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

In some bad news, my computer has died.

Yes I have About 4 others better, and 10 that would be good enough, and have owned roughly 50 that were newer and or better at one time or another but they are all computers... This one is MY computer. It's been a thing I've been able to fall back on and trust for 9 years of bulletproof performance.

In 9 years the only single thing to go wrong with it before today was that my motherboard wouldn't boot my 16GB 4 stick RAM kit at 2400MHz a few years back. It will still run 2 sticks at full speed, but all 4 sockets populated it won't go over 1866.

Not sure I can be assed diagnosing what's gone wrong, It's done its job and given me 4 more years than I planned to use it. I would have been happy if it got to a decade but it's fallen just short, and I don't think I'll be getting another desktop.. laptops or handhelds will probably take a spot on my desk if I can't get it fixed within a day or 2.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Microsoft just fixed a Zune compatibility issue in the year 2023

Thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy, the Zune is having its biggest year since it, well, died.

Calamity has been avoided, and justice for woefully underappreciated noughties hardware served: Microsoft has fixed an issue in Windows 11 affecting compatibility with the Zune MP3 player. As The Verge noticed in the latest Windows blog, Windows 11's new Insider Preview build includes an update specifically for its long-dead iPod competitor.

Microsoft fixed an issue "that was causing some challenges in getting the original Zune drivers to install in Windows 11," the blog says, "so now it should be easier to use your (totally unsupported and still discontinued) Zune on Windows 11."

The update isn't quite as random as it might seem, because the Zune recently starred in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 as a replacement for Star-Lord's beloved Walkman. In May Microsoft released a video walking users through the rather arcane process of getting a Zune to play nice with Windows in 2023; hopefully this new update will make that process a lot simpler.

The Zune community on Reddit has reacted well to the news.

"Holy ffing shi," writes Redditor Aggravating-Bake3522.

Redditor _killer_elite_ got even more excited: "CANT FACKEN WAIT !!! GONNA UPDATE MY ZUNE HD ARTIST PROFILES !!!!"

The Windows blog notes that the update is currently available in the "Canary" channel of Windows 11—the least stable, most experimental branch—but will "make its way through the Insider Channels and eventually to all Windows 11 customers."

Source: PC Gamer

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bad news for IRC history: bash.org has gone down but there are archives out there.