The Zelda Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
melancholy
Global Mod

Re: The Zelda Thread

Post by melancholy »

In Breath of the Wild, Link's walking speed is irrelevant once you unlock the glider, horses and fast travel within the first few hours.
That comment was about the trailer for the Link’s Awakening trailer, not BotW.
We're going to have a Zelda bitching session without mentioning the most egregious game of the series?
Skyward Sword was easily in the top 3 greatest Zelda games of all time. I always jump around between it, Ocarina and Wind Waker as being my favorite. Especially going back and playing it in Dolphin in 1080p with my hacked Wii Bluetooth adapter for perfect motion controls. So good.

Anyway, I’m sure one of these days I’ll finally go and force myself to try BotW. It’s just all those trailers and previews made it look like some terrible wilderness survival game, so I’ve never had the desire to ever try it as a result.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am
In Breath of the Wild, Link's walking speed is irrelevant once you unlock the glider, horses and fast travel within the first few hours.
That comment was about the trailer for the Link’s Awakening trailer, not BotW.
That makes much more sense :olol: I definitely agree with that. The action gameplay is so good, but the story ranks close to the bottom among the series for me.
melancholy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am
We're going to have a Zelda bitching session without mentioning the most egregious game of the series?
Skyward Sword was easily in the top 3 greatest Zelda games of all time.
It's too linear for me, it felt like the game took place in a long hallway with a central hub world. The story and characters were pretty good though and the dungeons were pretty inspired.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are two of my favourite Zelda games... Don't @ me. 😎
I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Everyone Else wrote: Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are good
Me:

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Twilight Princess is so good that it's appeared on three (count them) different consecutive Nintendo consoles. The HD version is the go to, though.

And on that note, was never a fan of Windwaker, Windwaker HD on the other hand...
I can't get no...

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Not going to lie, I like Twilight Princess well enough but it’s near the bottom of my 3D Zelda list. Majora’s Mask is on the bottom.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Let's all agree that Majora's Mask is the worst 3D Zelda :olol:

Honestly though, I've liked all the main titles since the N64 for various reasons:

1. Wind Waker (Best overall)
2. Breath of the Wild (Best gameplay)
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Skyward Sword (Best story)
5. Twilight Princess

It's like arguing over the best pizza: I'll eat any brand and enjoy myself. Except Tostino's Party Pizzas, those are just as shitty as Majora's Mask.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I mean, I love the atmosphere of Majora’s Mask. It is the most iconic Zelda because of the world that it presents. But the game itself is exhausting. I’ve only beaten it once, and the whole time I felt mentally drained from keeping track of all the shit that goes on in the 72hr cycle. It’s a prime example of a great concept with poor execution.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I've not played enough of MM, I could never get into it. I have MM 3D though so I should give it another go , when I get the chance.
I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:30 pm I mean, I love the atmosphere of Majora’s Mask. It is the most iconic Zelda because of the world that it presents. But the game itself is exhausting. I’ve only beaten it once, and the whole time I felt mentally drained from keeping track of all the shit that goes on in the 72hr cycle. It’s a prime example of a great concept with poor execution.
Exactly. I hated the journal system and how cryptic it made the game feel. That said, I should give it another go and see if I can finally get past the last dungeon.

It's also the only Zelda game that I own a gold cartridge version. :Olol: Kaybee Toys had one last copy left back in 1999 right after release.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I think it’s a bit deceiving to call this a new Zelda game. It’s more of a mash-up, like Hyrule Warriors.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

ungh/grumbles incoherently about the collectors edition that I will inevitably buy anyway.

Don't usually give a shit about collectors editions, and the artbook I will literally never even look at.. BUT I WANT THAT STEELBOOK!!
I want that steelbook as much as I want the shitty looking game!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yep, that steelbook is awesome.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

What the fuck? The US doesn’t get a steelbook! And our art book is nowhere near as nice looking. Where the hell do I go to get a EU or Australian copy?

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Pre orders are now open at EB for $109 for the collectors edition.
if it wasn't 1 per customer I would order 20 copies and sell the steelbooks for $150 to jilted overseas people who can't get them.
Steelbook is the reward for constantly being dicked over on prices (AKA Australia Tax)

I am sure scalpers already have ebay listings up.. Mel you can have my art and steel books after I've beaten the game and get sick of seeing things I'm not using on my shelves, and sold the game to fund something else. :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I like the style, I think it matches the scope of the original game.

The chamber dungeon looks cool: