SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Mini + Clones Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Mini + Clones Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Better go dig out my PSIV Macros chart.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Take your time, Mat.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I gave up today and put in a preorder because I want those USB controllers. I don't want the console, and will probably gift it to family for Christmas if I can load the thing up with ROMs.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:18 pm
Damn it if I don't want the 32X and Sega CD addons, those are definitely cool

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

pixel wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 am I gave up today and put in a preorder because I want those USB controllers. I don't want the console, and will probably gift it to family for Christmas if I can load the thing up with ROMs.
The only incentive for me is the awesome looking Darius port, I've already got an MD + Everdrive + OSSC.
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Sega 32X Support Coming to Mega Sg + DAC

Kevtris announced in My Life in Gaming’s DAC Stream that he has the 32X working with the Analogue Mega Sg. It will require the DAC and a custom mixing cable. 32X hardware support is extremely difficult because of the way its analog video is mixed back to the Genesis. Kev has confirmed that Doom and SmokeMonster Afterlife RPG are tested and working.

Greg Collins designed a beautiful 3D Mega Sg 32X riser that has suddenly become quite useful, and he hooked me and Kevtris up with prints for testing recently. Greg has made the design free to download, and he offers it for sale in his shop for $15 for those without access to a printer. Although it’s by no means required, the riser looks great and lends the 32X a little more stability.

Your chance to buy a Sega 32X at a halfway decent price is officially running out though. When Sega CD support was announced for the Mega Sg, used prices skyrocketed that same day and have never really settled back down since.

https://www.retrorgb.com/sega-32x-suppo ... g-dac.html

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Not the most elegant solution, but it works I guess :olol: Do you think that multiple or more powerful FPGAs could play 32X at some point? I feel like that'll only be a logical evolution with better hardware.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Matisfaction wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:31 am
pixel wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:43 am I gave up today and put in a preorder because I want those USB controllers. I don't want the console, and will probably gift it to family for Christmas if I can load the thing up with ROMs.
The only incentive for me is the awesome looking Darius port, I've already got an MD + Everdrive + OSSC.
I don't want to break the rules with pirate talk, but it sounds like you're set to go once the software gets cracked :heyhey:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There probably won't be a 32x FPGA anytime soon, due to the cost and complexity of it.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 am There probably won't be a 32x FPGA anytime soon, due to the cost and complexity of it.
I can wait a few years to play Knuckles' Chaotix and Star Wars Arcade, I'm still mad I even spent $35 on the thing back in 1995 :olol: The only thing I liked about my 32X is that awesome Chaotix soundtrack. I used to loop the sound test and be amazed that all those instruments were coming out of the system:

I hope they release a video showing how the DAC setup works, I'm really interested to see it working.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That is nice music.

And here's the 2 hour DAC video mentioned in the article.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

pixel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 am
I don't want to break the rules with pirate talk, but it sounds like you're set to go once the software gets cracked :heyhey:
The ROM will get dumped eventually. For research purposes, obviously 😀
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 am There probably won't be a 32x FPGA anytime soon, due to the cost and complexity of it.
It's weird how the two systems hook up in order to produce the visuals. I think the MD runs the background planes while the 32X manages the sprites and hud, both running at different frame rates I think? 😵
I can't get no...

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Matisfaction wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:49 am
pixel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 am
The ROM will get dumped eventually. For research purposes, obviously 😀
It's weird how the two systems hook up in order to produce the visuals. I think the MD runs the background planes while the 32X manages the sprites and hud, both running at different frame rates I think? 😵
Yeah it is definitely a fever dream of a machine. All of that engineering so the world may have classics such as Kolibri and Tempo.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

SEGA

@SEGA
Some things never change, like how we re-release a bunch of old shit no one wants.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.