General Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: General Gaming Thread

Post by ian »

OrangeRibbon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:27 pm Is there a code to make the horses ride the jockeys?
In Need for Steed: High Stakes there will be! And centaur races!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Well it's good news, I've played a game from 2023!

After the disaster of no games worth playing in 2022 I got talked into trying Hogwarts Legacy at a friends.

The game is shit... While I liked wizarding my way walking through other wizards, I was angered that I couldn't wizard my way through locked doors or wizard jump my way over small fences and bannisters.

I thought I was supposed to be a student at a magic academy yet I was constantly defeated by 3 foot tall fences, so I wandered around aimlessly because the map was entirely useless... Here's an idea game designers "INDICATE NORTH, OTHERWISE IT'S NOT A MAP, IT'S JUST A DRAWING"
So as I aimlessly wandered about working out what things I could spontaneously combust-icus, I didn't get very far.
I did help some girl get her floating library books back, and was happy I could read her diary and use it for blackmail, the library is in a much worse place than it was after I destroyed every single thing that was destructible.

Then I got bored of map icons for treasure chests not being where the treasure chest was and we killed guards in fable, a much better game full of wonder, whimsy and excitement and being able to smack town guards around and not just walk straight through them.

If I owned a PS5 or Series X or a PC from this decade, I would need this game to make me feel like I hadn't wasted money on the machine because it looks very, VERY pretty. But in among all the confusion, anger and comedy of the game, I can't say I see what the fuss is about, a bit like Harry Potter in general.. maybe I'm not whimsical enough, or maybe just the wrong demographic?

I certainly hope I can't walk right through people in the next game I play though... Unless it's established that I have god tier powers, and if I have god tier powers, 3 foot tall fucking fences and flimsy wooden doors better not be a hindrance to my ability to explore.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I didn't know there was going to be a dead rising 5.
Didn't know it had been cancelled.
Didn't play dead rising 4.
Or finish 3 or 2.
But for some reason now I'm sad.

It's the series of games I love the most (not the Wii one) that I hardly ever played.

I want Dead Rising 5 so I can not play it DAMMIT!
I was pumped when I got the dead rising 2 super overkill box with the Zombrex pen and the dolly with the changeable heads.. I played the game for a few hours and then sort of lost interest in it for some reason I can't put my finger on... And then the same thing happened with 3.

By the time 4 came out I was like $400 into games I'd spent like 4 hours playing so I cut my losses and skipped it. But now I can't have it...
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

2 was great fun, apart from taking zombrex back to the kid, when off the record appeared though to giv all the fun of DR 2 without that burden it was great fun, the first was really tight on time & not as fun really, the third I only got late after picking up a second hand Xbone & havent done a lot in. Odly despite it being panned a bit I loved DR4 though as it have us a real zombie outbreak on a scale you'd expect & the arcade unit power ups were pretty fun too, can only imagine what a 5'th would have done but like you I had no idea it was even being thought of until I saw this news

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I remember the videogame cats comic about dead rising 2 that had the timer running out to take Katey her Zombrex while he was in a dress riding a tricycle ignoring the mission.

It really was like that in game and accurately described my play style.

Come to think of it, in most zombie games I like the dicking around most of all.
I'm just having fun when I'm running around like a psychotic child on a sugar high getting us all killed, and dead rising had those elements but then put in stuff like you have to take photos.... Uhhhh just let me attach chainsaws to 2 ends of a broom and fit a deck chair to a lawnmower and let me paddle along and mow down zombies!

I think I've just cracked why I love dead rising but can't play it...
Give me dicking about in a zombie outbreak!
Probably the same reason I don't like Project Zomboid either.. it's a lot of god damn work to be able to dick about and have proper fun.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:35 am I remember the videogame cats comic about dead rising 2 that had the timer running out to take Katey her Zombrex while he was in a dress riding a tricycle ignoring the mission.
That's a good comic, but I will also never forget the one about Dead Rising on Wii. :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I remember that one too. :olol:
my old Microsoft account had a Vg cats avatar for absolute ages untill I changed it to Conker.

I wish there was a way to merge all 3 of my accounts into 1 (but all the cheap games back in the day are still worth having, remember when we got those super, SUPER cheap points? I still have those accounts and the 50 million games we got on them) if I could transfer all the games to just the one account, I'd use my Xbox a lot more. Just a pain in the ass having to sign in and out all the time and getting constant security challenges to re enter password... Ugh. Microsoft has never made changing profile easy compared to Nintendo and Sony so Usually I log into the Firewire one when I'm playing Forza and thats about it.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Wait, didn't we get those from Zoidberg or am I remembering wrong?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yeah, you got them from me. I knew someone who was getting them cheap from somewhere.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I'm fairly certain I lost all of the logins over the years but I did set all their purchases and the accounts to be my primary 360 main console. So in theory I should still be able to play the games with my normal account

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

In theory communism works, IN THEORY...

it worked back in the day. As long as you had the profile that owned the game, and the install of the game on the console, there was no stopping you. But it hasn't worked that way properly in a long, long, LONG time.

I loved it back in the day because my 360 had about 8 accounts from various friends and family and I could sign into my profile and play them all.

Then the biggest curse of modern gaming put an end to my shenanigans... An update.

I could only be bothered with 3 accounts after that, and once my second 360 died, I couldn't be bothered setting it all up on the 3rd (and current) 360 and moved to various Xbox ones.

Probably when I get a series X I'll just setup one account (probably firewire) and let the others be forgotten to time when I get gamepass.

I'm currently in the process of thinking about gamepass, but I can't bring myself to spend $750 on a 2 year old console. First company to give me $500 with a good game system, and it's done deal.

Member the original Xbox from 2001? It launched at $750 and 12 months later it was $369 with the DVD playback kit and 4 games including halo and fucking Jet Set Radio Future.

Stupid new Xbox launched at $750 and is still $750 like 18 months later... I'M NOT PAYING THAT! give me Forza Horizon 5 and the console for $500 and it's reasonable... And I'm only wanting a one game bundle because it's the only single game the series X has after all this time.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 pm Stupid new Xbox launched at $750 and is still $750 like 18 months later... I'M NOT PAYING THAT! give me Forza Horizon 5 and the console for $500 and it's reasonable... And I'm only wanting a one game bundle because it's the only single game the series X has after all this time.
XSS $458 without FH5.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Microsoft-RRS ... 0BLYS3N6X/

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Still not reasonable enough.

The S, with the game (and knowing how hamstrung it is compared to the X in terms of Power. And Storage. And Discs playback) is worth about $249.
I'd happily pay $249 for an S with the game.

My best option might be actually with Telstra with the "Xbox All access" for 2 years.

You get a series X and 2 years of Game Pass ultimate ( which I could use on PC as well)
for $1,104. (Less than $50 a month)

This is actually pretty good value as a service (which Microsoft very much wants their brand to be, they've just gotten confused and try to sell you the thing to use the service as a full price product)

the only downside being you have to be an existing Telstra customer. /Shudder.

I'm not making the mistake of being a Telstra customer again. the service in my area is just too shit, even if they did give me a free Switch, 4K TV, iPhone se, and Xbox one X to be a customer for 4 years, going back is still not worth it.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Just get it on Steam.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Steam games have been a rip off since they started selling in AUD (Like when Amazon came here and started reaming us)

$40 USD equals fucking $119 AUD on everything somehow...
I've only purchased one game since steam started selling in AUD, all the other newer games have been gifted to me.

I don't know how much it costs to buy outright ATM, but when you see a copy on disc in the shops for $49, paying more for a fucking download that saves the devs money loses some of its appeal.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Standard edition is $89 on steam. $80 at Harvey Norman.

FUCKING HARVEY NORMAN the biggest rip off merchant in the whole country has it $9 cheaper than a download on steam. That's fucking ass backwards and I'm not rewarding that behaviour.

And looking on Ozbargain, I can see Target has sold it for as low as $39 in the past...
If I'd have seen that at the time I would have picked it up and waited for a cheap console to match, since it doesn't seem to be getting cheaper on the locked in storefronts.

This is why gamepass is taking over, and as soon as Australia gets internet faster than 56K, buying games will be a thing of the past.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's $65 on CDKeys for the X1/XS/PC (MS Store) version.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Hawq wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:38 am
Did you see darc's cameo?