What have you been watching on TV?

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: What have you been watching on TV?

Post by ian »

grand tour special was great. I found it the best of the specials so far, it was like 3 good top gear French films in one single episode.

next up is season 4 of Aggretsuko. I REALLY hope this show can get back to the brilliance of season 1, it feels like each season gets worse and by the end of season 3 I was questioning if I would watch more, but not too much else I'm watching right now. Please let season 4 be good. Please.

Next week I'll have season 10 of letterkenny to watch. Letterkenny has developed a South Park season 10-20 trait where every second season is clearly worse, and even though the bad seasons are still good, the good season is just so much better. So I have high hopes for this next season.

After all that I suppose its just counting the days till more star wars's's... For all the star wars's's we're supposed to be getting, its sure taking a long fucking time to get more...
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Merry Christmas Charlie Manson!

I actually watched it on TV tonight.
"Hey, another holiday special"

I can't remember the last show I watched fully on actual TV. But Foxtel has a South park pop up channel (cable TV for our international friends) and it didn't have ads during the episodes so I watched the entirety of my favourite south park episode of all time, and a few more.

Normally when I sit down and try actual TV I make it to the first fucking 20 minute ad break and while they dick around I simply put what was on TV on my computer, or a Bluray or DVD, or start downloading the whole series before the fucking ads finish.

I could stand a single ad 3-4 times DURING shows, and 5-6 between them, but any more and it's FUCK THIS I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH MY TIME!

I've been saying for years to ditch the Foxtel, but the others like it, and for sports and movies it's still unbeaten outside of uncle torrences film collection.

I've seen a few Aggretsuko episodes so far, and season 4 is better than 3 and even 2 at this point, but it's not a show I could recommend anyone start to watch (outside of season 1 which remains fucking amazing). Will see how the remaining 5 episodes pan out.

And no, I'm not kidding about Merry Christmas Charlie Manson being my favourite episode of South Park. It's fucking hilarious from start to finish and has always been. Often times I retire south park episodes and seasons for years at a time, but any time of the year, if Merry Christmas Charlie Manson comes on or someone references it, I'll always make the time to watch it and always love it just as much.

Crossing the state line into Nebraska is so relatable. It's like leaving the east coast of Australia. Everything turns to dust, a banjo starts playing and there's a street sign that says nothing for the rest of the country.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Big fat quiz of the year.

Pretty crap this year. No David Mitchell, no Richard Ayoade and no Noel Fielding left it lacking.

The big fat quiz NEEDS at least one of them and preferably all of them.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've watched the Book of Boba Fett, which I liked (especially the comedy chase scene) and South Park.

The Token Black episode was pretty funny.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Got around to watching Smiling Friends last night, yeah it's pretty fucking good :olol:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

South park was hilarious even with an ending that was less climactic than expected. IT'S GREAT TO HAVE SHITTY PEOPLE! City people and their fancy city ideas, city money, city lifestyles!

Now I'm moving on to space force season 2 which snuck up on me. (I saw it while getting south park)
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I watched The Cuphead Show.
I am not the target audience for this show, I've never played cuphead despite it's wide acclaim. I've seen a few minutes of gameplay but it seemed to me to be a case of style over substance as an actual game, and from a trailer the show seemed like it's meant for a younger audience than myself.

Knowing nothing about this game or this show, the lore or characters and with an animation style that's been obsolete for 60+ years and using music that hasn't been used in 60-100 years coupled with the fact I could only identify a single voice in the entire time I watched it all combined to make this show feel.. Fresh.
I liked it. Not the best show ever, but enough of a silly laugh that I binged it and was sad when the season was over, and will be eager to watch more when there is more, but I'm not going to play the game because of it.

And I'm not kidding that I only recognised one single voice in the show. The incredible Gary Anthony Williams in a bit part (Which sounded very similar to his role in Tigtone "REMEMBER TIGTONE, YOU CAN STEER CANNONBALLS" :olol: )
As I watched the show I liked the devils voice untill it hit me what it sounded like. And then I liked the voice so much more. The devil in this show is basically 50% Dan Castellaneta's Robot Devil from Futurama and 50% Seth MacFarlane's Stewie Griffin from Family Guy. So that just added a little something.

Oh. Also, I liked Space Force season 2 more than season 1.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I was perusing Netflix and saw a show called Riverdale.

All I know about Riverdale is that they are stuck up punks, that think they're too good for me, and DUH! STAY OUTTA RIVERDALE!

SO I started watching various Simpsons episodes.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

That's one of my favorite Simpsons jokes :olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:45 am That's one of my favorite Simpsons jokes :olol:

As beloved as the Simpsons is, people still don't appreciate enough how incredible the joke writing was on that show.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Been enjoying Hard Quiz, Midsomer murders, and Father Brown.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Halo has been pretty okay, probably a solid C/C+ on my scale. It's a perfectly cromulent show if you're into sci-fi action shows, but I don't think it's high art.

Moon Knight is pretty good, closer to a B for me. But if you don't like Marvel, you aren't going to like this.

We watched the first two episodes of One Piece last night and that lives up to the hype. Just another ~998 episodes to go!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I saw the first episode of The Rehearsal last night, it was really good and definitely awkward. But I like the new format, the tail end was awesome.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

I watched Back to the Future III, then the original and then the second. Going to watch III again. I watched it first cos I couldn’t wait while watching the first two. I had no plans to watch the trilogy, but watching III, I thoroughly enjoyed it and decided to watch all 3in order.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Making Hawq proud.
IMG_20220806_185307_147.jpg
Its better on a CRT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

I applaud your choice, must find the time to watch the Blu-Ray set at some point

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I watched 2 new Beavis and butthead episodes. They were good, albeit a little predictable. I will keep watching them because they were amusing.

I watched most of the newest season of Solar Opposites. The show continues the trend where watching the aliens is boring as all fuck but 'the wall' segments more than make up for the rest.
If you removed the rest of the show altogether and only had the wall parts it's a phenomenal show.
Season 1 the wall was a nice sideline, season 2 the wall was a clear highlight, season 3 the wall may as well be the entire show. I will finish the last 4 episodes of the season and keep watching as long as the wall is in the show...

And finally, I watched Farzar.
Ohh boy... What an absolute steaming pile of fucking garbage. I made it through 5 episodes before I simply gave up. It's a sci-fi sitcom devoid of sci-fi, situation, and comedy.

I went into it with high hopes because I liked the creators other work. But after having laughed as much in 5 episodes combined as I did in a single good episode of paradise PD, I can't help but feel a little bit cheated. Paradise PD got canned so this shit could exist? WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK???

Maybe I've been spoiled for sci-fi sitcoms after Red Dwarf nailed it, and Futurama perfected it right as Red Dwarf was ending it's original run.
But even when I look at what's currently regarded as GOOD sci-fi comedy, they simply pale to the sheer genius that Red Dwarf invented and Futurama perfected. So I feel My take might be a bit harsh, but even your second rate sci-fi comedy (your tripping the rifts, final spaces, rick and mortys, solar opposites, Orvilles, etc etc) I can still find some enjoyment from.

This was such a let down after Brickleberry* and Paradise PD.
Those shows were never the height of writing, but at least they were funny. Making Farzar was a complete waste of time and money, should have used the money that made this fucking shit for a final season of Paradise PD, at least that would have had some laughs.

*To this day I've only seen one season of Brickleberry because I stopped watching comedy Central shows apart from South Park when they cancelled Futurama and I can sure hold a grudge.
I Only continued to watch south park because it was around and making me laugh before Futurama existed, so it got a pass.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Coincidentally, I just watched this video last night:

He had some good points, namely about how Farzar's writing and characters are pretty lame. It's a shame, because sci-fi, animation and humor should be the perfect mix for a great show.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I may watch the video later, even though I don't agree with the title. It will probably be more entertaining than Farzar is.

Yes paradise PD is Brickleberry with cops and Brickleberry is paradise PD with forest Rangers. And they are the same show... But Farzar is not the same as the other 2. The others were funny.

Low brow, crude and often lazy and with jokes that missed their mark. But when they hit they were brilliantly hilarious. Which is all they needed to be.

Farzar has been the biggest let down in recent memory for me. An even bigger let down than the bigmouth spin off human resources, which took a brilliant show and made it so bland I barely finished it. And a bigger let down than F is for Family simply because I expected so much more from Bill Burr.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I binged the rest of Beavis and Butthead.

Fantastic.
Hearing their takes on music again was brilliant, I didn't realise how much I missed it in the 11 years since it last aired.

2011 hit the ground running. This new revival took a while to get going, but when it did it's up there with the best of it.

Cloudy day commentary was drink spitting hilarious.

Watching Beavis react to the guy who ghosted a girl for being a sex addict was fall off chair fucking brilliant.

I love you Mike Judge. Even more than Trey Parker.
Please keep brilliant shows and episodes and movies coming.
-Two Interactive.