The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 5 announced)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Raspberry Pi/SBC/Mini PC Thread (Raspberry Pi 5 announced)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ECS Live Station is a tiny Windows 10 PC that can also wirelessly charge your phone

EliteGroup Computer Systems (ECS) appears to have a new mini PC on the way. The ECS live Station is a small desktop computer with Windows 10, an Intel Bay trail processor, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB of storage.

It can also charge your phone wirelessly, thanks to a Qi charging pad built into the top of the computer.

The ECS Live Station is up for pre-order in Japan for ¥ 37,778, and it’s expected to ship starting April 9th.

That’s about $335 US, but the Live Station will likely be a bit cheaper if and when it goes on sale in the US though, since computers tend to cost more in Japan.

While the wireless charging is an unusual feature, the rest of the computer’s specs are nothing to write home about. The system has an Intel Celeron N2830 bay Trail processor, an HDMI port, an IR sensor, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and a 3.5mm audio jack.

One nice feature is that the memory and storage seem to be upgradeable: the Amazon listing shows a few shots of the computer’s insides, and it looks like the Live Station uses laptop memory and a removable solid state drive for storage.

Source: Liliputing

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Re: The Raspberry Pi/Mini PC Thread

Post by Code-Red »

That's about $235 overpriced, considering a Cherry Trail miniPC and separate QI charger can be had for $105.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

I just ordered a Raspbberry Pi 3 kit.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

And now I'm posting from it! Even with basic surfing, it's way faster than the 2.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

That is the best mod I think I've seen. I want that exact setup.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A new revision of Raspberry Pi is launched today. http://raspi.tv/?p=9402 It has a camera port on it and some of the board was rearranged to make this possible. Apart from that though, it is basically unchanged.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Code-Red
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Code-Red »

ARM processor technology has kind of stagnated in the last two years. The Amlogic 9 series, RK33xx, Snapdragon, etc... performance has stayed relatively the same since 2015.

RPi should work on getting cheaper RAM, and better GPU's instead, those are the major limiting factors of the SoC's at the moment.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

I think I am going to make one since I couldn't get a NES mini.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Raspberry Pi release their new Pi 3 Model B+ - Hardware upgrades without a price increase

Raspberry Pi release their new Pi 3 Model B+ - Hardware upgrades without a price increase
The Raspberry Pi has become a staple of the computing world, acting as an excellent platform for learning and a wide range of other applications. Over time hardware evolves and the same principle applies to the Raspberry Pi, over time receiving higher specifications while maintaining a low price point.

So far over 19 million Raspberry Pi units have been sold worldwide, over 9 million of which was the Raspberry Pi 3. Now the company must move on to newer hardware, though this upgrade does not come with a price increase.

Meet the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+, a new unit which offers a faster 64-bit ARM processor, dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2 and several other minor improvements.

On the CPU side, the Raspberry Pi 3 Mobel B+ offers a 200MHz boost in processor speeds, with their new Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) clocking in at 1.4GHz while also offering cooler operating temperatures than the company's previous model. On the WiFi side, the Raspberry Pi will also provide a 3x improvement in wires and wireless network throughput. Overall the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ will deliver a substantial performance boost over the Model B, though this comes with a hefty increase in power consumption. With this model, Raspberry Pi recommends a high-quality 2.5A power supply or better.

Below are the specifications of the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
- Broadcom BCM2837B0, Cortex-A53 (ARMv8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.4GHz
- 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM
- 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac wireless LAN, Bluetooth 4.2, BLE
- Gigabit Ethernet over USB 2.0 (maximum throughput 300 Mbps)
- Extended 40-pin GPIO header
- Full-size HDMI
- 4 USB 2.0 ports
- CSI camera port for connecting a Raspberry Pi camera
- DSI display port for connecting a Raspberry Pi touchscreen display
- 4-pole stereo output and composite video port
- Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
- 5V/2.5A DC power input
- Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support (requires separate PoE HAT)

The new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ will ship at the same $35 price as the existing 3 Mobel B, with previous models like the Raspberry Pi 1B+, Raspberry Pi 2B, and Raspberry Pi 3B remaining on sale to support existing users while demand remains.
source kinda glad I didnt bother woth one yet as if I had just before this appeared its be a bit of a cock punch, still no idea if Ill get round to it though

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This one is only a minor upgrade so it wouldn't have made much difference if you had of got a RPi3B.

The CPU speed boost is nice though. Just needs more RAM now.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I wonder how much benefit Retropie would get from the upgrade.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's a 14% boost, so anything with a shaky framerate should get a bit of an improvement.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »